Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miatas @ Hallett 2017

Some updates for Miatas at Hallett 2017.

Looks like Friday's course will be clockwise, so if you attend both days, then it will be like two different tracks since Saturday is the usual counter-clockwise. Here is a video of clokwise: https://youtu.be/wVo1h-vbVoc

Several race ports are available, which are covered structures with concrete foundations. No walls. Each covered structure is two ports, so one rental is either the left or right side. You can fit two Miatas on each side, so four total Miatas under the one roof. http://www.hallettracing.net/track/rent-a-raceport/ is a map of the ports. I think they're $20/port (side) per day and well worth it. Sub-rent your extra space.

Four $50 Travel Scholarships have been donated. So after you sign up for the event, email [email protected] to add your name to the jar. On Saturday morning, 9/9, we will draw four names for the scholarships! The donor offers this incentive to encourage more folks to attend, so please don’t feel obligated to sign up if you do not need this incentive.

Finally, per usual, the Hampton is our event headquarters; however, they are having technical issues with our block of rooms. If you reserve online the Hallett discount for Saturday night does not appear. Liz at the Hampton asks that you call 918-245-8500 and stay on the line until the desk answers (if you want the Hallett price for Saturday night). The special room rate will be available until August 17th or until the group block is sold-out, whichever comes first. The Rib Crib is on board for dinner in the Hampton Banquet room.

Registered
    M3 is always the answer.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If you have not signed up yet Click here to register online and save $20 before August 8th

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Several race ports are available, which are covered structures with concrete foundations. No walls. Each covered structure is two ports, so one rental is either the left or right side. You can fit two Miatas on each side, so four total Miatas under the one roof. http://www.hallettracing.net/track/rent-a-raceport/ is a map of the ports. I think they're $20/port (side) per day and well worth it. Sub-rent your extra space.
    $40 per port per day.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

$40 for 'both' sides, per day. $20 for 1 port (1/2 of structure). You can easily fit 4 Miatatae in one structure (2 ports).

I was charged $80 for port #13 for two days. That was back in May, and I just checked my credit card statement to be sure.

Port #13 is half of the structure that also includes #14. So that's $40 per port per day.

Do you get special pricing?

BTW, last year I emailed Connie and asked her what a race port was since she'd mentioned it in an email, and I was clueless. Her response to me last year was:

A raceport is a 12 x 30 concrete floor with a roof and electric. A lot of drivers rent one to have sun and/or rain protection. It is $45/ day. Let Karen know if you want to reserve one (or you can wait and see them when you arrive and then decide).
    So I assume $40 per day includes a multi-day discount or maybe an event discount, and the normal price is $45 per day.
    Last edited by 865; 07-26-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Might need new tires. What's min tread depth? Currently have ZII*'s.
    2013 Audi S4
    1997 Montego Blue Miata

Looking at my email, now, I paid $160 for two ports (one structure) for two days. So, $40/day per port.

I think what mixed me up is my cost of only $40 for both days after finding three other co-tenants.

Quote Originally Posted by GroceryHauler View Post
    Might need new tires. What's min tread depth? Currently have ZII*'s.
    The Miata Tech Form doesn't specify a minimum tread depth. Neither does the HST Tech Inspection Form. The latter just says "Good condition, no cracks or bulges".

You'll have to judge based on age and condition of your tires, taking into consideration how hard you're going to push them, whether you're running one day or two, whether you're driving up there and back on them, etc. You don't want them to cord.

There are plenty of other things to check. Take a look at the Tech Form. Make sure you have plenty of brake pad material left (better than 50%). Bleed your brakes at the minimum, flush if it's old. Consider high temp fluid like Motul 600 or similar.
    Last edited by 865; 07-26-2017 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 865 View Post
    The Miata Tech Form doesn't specify a minimum tread depth. Neither does the HST Tech Inspection Form. The latter just says "Good condition, no cracks or bulges".

You'll have to judge based on age and condition of your tires, taking into consideration how hard you're going to push them, whether you're running one day or two, whether you're driving up there and back on them, etc. You don't want them to cord.

There are plenty of other things to check. Take a look at the Tech Form. Make sure you have plenty of brake pad material left (better than 50%). Bleed your brakes at the minimum, flush if it's old. Consider high temp fluid like Motul 600 or similar.
    Thanks for the links (which I probably just missed). I'm pretty sure my pads are good. Rear rotors are getting long in the tooth. I'm about to replace brake lines with SS and bleed w/ Motul RBF 600; I'll double check pads at same time. Will be driving there and back on the tires and hope to run both days. Have to check them soon so I have the time to wear in new ones properly if necessary. My Lemons team runs the same tires on a 240sx and they last an entire weekend so as long as I have 3/32 to 4/32 of tread left I'll probably be okay, assuming no rain on the way back. I also assume the track won't go hot in the rain?
    2013 Audi S4
    1997 Montego Blue Miata

Quote Originally Posted by GroceryHauler View Post
    I also assume the track won't go hot in the rain?
    Of course it will. That doesn't mean you have to go out if you don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
    Of course it will. That doesn't mean you have to go out if you don't want to.
    Sounds fun!
    2013 Audi S4
    1997 Montego Blue Miata

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Finally, per usual, the Hampton is our event headquarters; however, they are having technical issues with our block of rooms. If you reserve online the Hallett discount for Saturday night does not appear. Liz at the Hampton asks that you call 918-245-8500 and stay on the line until the desk answers (if you want the Hallett price for Saturday night). The special room rate will be available until August 17th or until the group block is sold-out, whichever comes first. The Rib Crib is on board for dinner in the Hampton Banquet room.
    I found that hotels.com was less expensive than our "special" rate.

I sent a email about registering with a car port rental, haven't heard back yet. Did get the time off from work so am planning to make it.

Would anyone be wiling to take some $$$ to haul a set of wheel/tires there and back for me?
    1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
    1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
    2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

They are often only there on weekends to get email.

Quote Originally Posted by Labora View Post
    I sent a email about registering with a car port rental, haven't heard back yet.
    They don't have a way to do the race port rental online, so just go ahead and register for the event before the price goes up in a few days from now. You need to call them (Karen) to set up the race port rental. They'll take your cc over the phone.

I was able to get them on the phone today, they are going to call me Saturday to set everything up.

Got my hotel room ready to go. Just need to throw a few new parts on car and check/change some fluids and it should be ready.

Will there be a meetup beforehand anywhere to drive up Thursday?
    1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
    1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
    2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Last year, Rogue led some of us up a scenic route to Hallett on Friday. We stopped at a number of interesting places. It was fun. I enjoyed it. I'm not sure what his plans are for this year.

I'll be traveling to Sand Springs from Lincoln, Nebraska this year.

I am going from the west side, so I will be meeting up with some others at Two Frogs in Ardmore, OK for lunch on Thursday. Then we'll swing by the fried pie place, and off to Hallett via Ada, OK, where we will get on 377 and head north.

Suspension Modder

Signed up for Saturday. How much is the special rate at the Hampton?
    Travis Howard
    PCA Maverick Region (former) Autocross / (now just)Time Trial Chair
    96 Miata
    74 914, 85 911, 03 996

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast