Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Track Night In America - TNIA 2017 schedule

I'm in.

I am IN! The weather can't stop me, and the formerly foreboding forecast didn't even faze me. If it rains or if it's wet, I get to practice the rain line.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I'm still in.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

See y'all this afternoon!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    See y'all this afternoon!
    I'm in!

I had a great time! I worked my ass of trying to catch "Crash" in the final heat. I hope he was trying as hard to stay ahead.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

A lot of fun...looking forward to the next one!

I had a blast. I set a new PB of 1:31.074 for the 1.7 CCW, an improvement of 1.366 seconds from January.

Based on comments from some people yesterday, it appears there may be a cap on run group size. The next TNiA is May 2nd. If you want to go, sign up now.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    A lot of fun...looking forward to the next one!
    http://www.gregorypfaff.com/TNIA-041117-ADV/i-6M8k2Pm/A
    1995 M Edition

Here are the links to the photos from all the run groups:

Hey Track Nighters!

Pictures from the April 11th event are up for your enjoyment! See them at the following links and read the message from the photographer himself below to learn how to get your images.
    Novice Sessions: http://www.gregorypfaff.com/TNIA-041117-NOV

Intermediate Sessions: http://www.gregorypfaff.com/TNIA-041117-INTER

Advanced Sessions: http://www.gregorypfaff.com/TNIA-041117-ADV

From the photographer, Greg:

Hello drivers! As part of my coverage each driver gets one full-size download of their choice (with a Track Night logo in the corner). To get your free image simply email me at [email protected] with the photo link or filename and I will send you your complimentary image ASAP. Any purchased images will have no watermarks on the final product.

If you are purchasing more than 10 digital downloads, the "gallery download" option will get you all of your images for the price of 10!

Click on any image and you can share your images on social media using the share button in the bottom right corner. Thank you drivers for always making these events a great time. Happy racing!

-Gregory Pfaff

The second TNiA is next Tuesday, May 2nd. I'm in. Who else?

I would, but heading to Mexico City for work.
    M3 is always the answer.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Track Night Vehicle Eligibility Policy Change

At SCCA Track Night in America driven by Tire Rack, we strive to keep everything simple and easy to understand. And for the most part, we’ve done pretty well. However, if you have done a few events with us you likely have noticed that vehicle eligibility has not always been as consistent as it could be. Our rules have clearly stated “no race cars,” from the beginning, but time has proven that there are cars and situations that land in the gray area of what defines a racecar. To address this, we have recently clarified our policy. The new policy (below) is intended to give some guidelines for how to navigate the gray area, as well as some explanation on why we do allow some car and driver combinations, and not others. You can also read more about the philosophy behind the policy here: https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/articles/2007268-update-eligible-vehicles-for-track-night-in-america-driven-by-tire-rack

Track Night in America Driven by Tire Rack allows the following:

• Road-legal production vehicles
    • Road-legal kit cars with license plates

Restrictions:

• Vehicles must be wider than they are tall
    • Convertibles must meet certain requirements
    • Racecars, vehicles that have raced or have been constructed for racing are not allowed without a waiver

Exceptions and waivers:

• Vehicles that would be road legal but are not because they are missing certain equipment, such as headlights, may be given permission to participate in Track Night provided the vehicle would otherwise meet requirements.
    • No vehicle will ever be excluded from Track Night due to installation of safety equipment alone.
    • Kit cars without a license plate that are an example of an equivalent vehicle that has been legally plated are allowed.
    • A vehicle that has been retired from racing and is now a street car or dedicated track car and would otherwise meet the requirements for Track Night may be granted a waiver.
    • A racecar that would otherwise meet the requirements for Track Night may be granted a waiver only if it is being used to introduce a new participant to track driving (example- “I want to get my son/daughter/spouse/crew guy on track.”). Drivers with racing licenses are strictly forbidden from operating racecars at Track Night for the purpose of testing/shaking down or other competition-related functions.
    • Should a waiver vehicle have any mechanical issues during an event, that vehicle will not be allowed back on track.

We expect that this change will have very little impact on the overall Track Night experience, other than bringing a higher level of understanding and transparency for everyone involved. As always, if you have questions please feel free to reply to this message or seek the advice of our lead factologist, Jack Track at [email protected]

^-- Interesting.

Does "road legal" mean registered and licensed for street use?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I'd guess a current inspection and registration would satisfy that.

And insurance? Is proof of insurance part of being road legal for the car or the driver?

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Technically, can't register without insurance.

I forgot. I haven't had to show my insurance card in a long time.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Road-legal is an imprecise term. It might mean registered for street use, or it might mean capable of being registered for street use in its current condition. Such a car being one that if you took it for inspection so you could register it, it would pass. But is that what "road-legal" means to TNiA?

One of the waiverable exceptions says "Vehicles that would be road legal but are not because they are missing certain equipment, such as headlights, may be given permission to participate in Track Night provided the vehicle would otherwise meet requirements." That does not describe a car that meets all the requirements for registration as a street vehicle, but simply isn't registered by the owner's choice. I'd say such a vehicle is road-legal and doesn't require a waiver, even if not currently registered and plated. But wuddoIno? And how would you prove it absent a current registration sticker and license plate?

TNiA is trying to define what constitutes a "street car". Unless you define it as a car that is licensed and plated, I think it is ambiguous.

On a different note, the article that was linked from the email sends mixed signals about cars that have numbers and stickers.

There were several reasons why the SCCA wanted to limit Track Night in America to street cars. The biggest reason was the look and feel of an event. Simply, if you showed up for a basketball shoot-around in a slightly ironic T-shirt, gym shorts and running shoes, but everyone else was wearing uniforms and the latest/greatest basketball shoes, you might quickly decide, “these guys are more serious than I want to be,” and leave. Numbers, logos, stickers all mean something, and together they generally mean, “I am here to win,” or at least, “I am here to compete.” And that is not the desired Track Night environment. Track Night is a place people go to get an introduction to on-track driving, have fun, meet car people and where enthusiasts can become participants without the complications or pressure of competition. It’s really and truly just for fun.
    and later in the same article:

Well, it actually gets really simple, as you can see here. For cars, it must be within the purpose and performance scope of a street car. That means, if you had to, you could drive it to the grocery store and return with a loaf of bread. For intent, if you have a competition racing license (from SCCA or any other organization), you can only drive a car that is not a race car. If you do not have a competition license, you can drive an appropriate car regardless of its stickers, build purpose or history.
    So what does that seem to say? You are going to be profiled based on the appearance of your car, and whether or not you have a competition racing license. If you have a car with numbers and logos and stickers, you're suspect already because your car says "I am here to win," or at least "I am here to compete." "And that is not the desired Track Night environment." You'll be allowed to participate if you have a "road-legal" car (whatever that may actually mean in the mind of the event chief). You "may" be allowed to participate if you fit one of the waiverable exception criteria. But really, you're not the kind of person we're trying to attract, so get the hint and either go race or do Club Trials. Now if you have a competition racing license, you are really not trusted, and you definitely can't drive a race car. So, for example, a Spec Miata race car driver cannot drive his race car. But someone who does not have a competition license could drive that same race car if granted a waiver, since such a person could "drive an appropriate car regardless of its stickers, build purpose or history."

I have stickers and logos and numbers on my preferred track car. My car is road-legal by any conceivable definition (I drove it to the store to buy a loaf of bread just the other day). I don't have a competition racing license. I guess I'll be tolerated?
    Last edited by 865; 07-24-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Now I want to bring my road racing car. It has plates. And I have a comp license.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast