Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to do Hallett HST every month

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Default Trying to do Hallett HST every month

So I'm planning to go to every HST at hallett for the rest of the year, but i don't want to do 750 miles and 2 gas tanks of travel oncs a month on my miata.

Is there any one that had a big ass trailer that would fit at lest 2 miata that would want to go and split gas cost? i have a place to stay in in okc so no hotel charge. Drive up Friday after noon to okc, do the 1.5 to 2 hours to hallett sat morning, race and come home.

What happened to the houseboat option?

Whose truck are you gonna use?

Well, the person that has a big ass trailer usualy has a big ass truck to tow it with

Last edited by MiataMike; 05-02-2007 at 09:25 PM.
    Blah blah blah!

the boat is an option, but the house in okc is always open. as for the truck, what he said

nah, but I'm going to buy a truck and trailer fairly soon. So if I went up there and someone broke a car, we could trailer one, and drive the other car back.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    nah, but I'm going to buy a truck and trailer fairly soon.
    What???
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    What???
    yeah, I may have the jetty sold ($3250)...and if I can find a cheap colorado I'm all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    nah, but I'm going to buy a truck and trailer fairly soon. So if I went up there and someone broke a car, we could trailer one, and drive the other car back.
    Ok just get a bigger trailer =P

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    Ok just get a bigger trailer =P
    its going to be tough to pull with a colorado...or some other small truck.

my NB weighs 2,447lbs stock, maybe 2200 on track days, so if you have a trailer and 2 NB stock is only 5klbs and if you get a trailer that is about 30ft it should come with electronic break system.

my NB weighs 2,447lbs stock, maybe 2200 on track days, so if you have a trailer and 2 NB stock is only 5klbs and if you get a trailer that is about 30ft it should come with electronic break system.

ok™

2 NBs: 5000 lbs.
    two-car trailer: 4000 lbs.
    Watching 9000 lbs worth of load steer your compact pickup into a ditch: priceless

What's the tow rating on a Colorado, anyway? Does it have enough to tow a 2500 lb car plus a 2000 lb trailer (typical steel tandem axle) and leave anything left over for driver and gear? Remember, people and gear count against your total towing capacity as well as car and trailer.

For the price of a used Colorado, I'd look for a well used, high mileage F250 or a 1st gen Expedition with the 5.4L. The gas mileage probably won't be much worse when towing than it would be with a Colorado (which will be at or over max capacity even with a Miata and a typical trailer), and you'll find towing with a bigger truck to be a lot less stressful.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    What's the tow rating on a Colorado, anyway? Does it have enough to tow a 2500 lb car plus a 2000 lb trailer (typical steel tandem axle) and leave anything left over for driver and gear?
    Chevrolet indicates the answer is no.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    2 NBs: 5000 lbs.
    two-car trailer: 4000 lbs.
    Watching 9000 lbs worth of load steer your compact pickup into a ditch: priceless

Even if this was feasible (which it doesn't appear to be), how much gas do you think you would use trailering 2 cars to Oklahoma? Your share would probably be more than you're using now.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post

Even if this was feasible (which it doesn't appear to be), how much gas do you think you would use trailering 2 cars to Oklahoma? Your share would probably be more than you're using now.
    I would have to agree with that. Only real benifit is that if you car broke you can get it home, and you have a riding buddy.
    Blah blah blah!

My towing capacity is only 2000 in the Sportage so that's out however I do plan on hitting Hallett twice this summer if you want someone to go up there with you. I think Johnwag is going as well.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Man, the Miata gets great gas mileage so unless you break or have a non-streetable Miata then it would be best to simply drive it up and back; and if you're worried about putting miles on the car then you shouldn't be tracking it...or driving a Miata for that matter!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Chevrolet indicates the answer is no.
    Damn - a max towing capacity of only 4000 lb? A street legal Miata and a typical trailer are already over that limit. Add a driver and some gear, and you're probably 1000 pounds over rated weight before you even leave the driveway.

Sounds to me like you've got two choices: either spend the big bucks for a featherlight aluminum trailer, or choose a different pickup. I know the previous gen V6 Tacoma and 4Runner were rated for 5000 pounds, and that's the minimum I'd want to tow a Miata with... but I'd still lean towards buying as big a truck as I could afford.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

It's not the gas and drive it's just the miles i have to put on my car to get to hallett =(

It's not the gas and drive it's just the miles i have to put on my car to get to hallett =(
    ...and?

My car has 157k on the clock and is still going strong. Properly maintained, a Miata will last well over 200k if not more. Drive the car and quitcherbitchin!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast