Thread: Tire Rumors - It's that time again!

Default Tire Rumors - It's that time again!

"The new RT615K + is an all new compound this year and will be the tire to beat!"
    http://falkentire.com/news-events/2016/11/falken-tires-announces-all-new-azenis-rt615k-tire-sema-2016
    BFG Rival S 1.5 is new this year.
    Federal 595 RS-RR is now 200 Treadwear.
    Nexen N FERA SUR4 is new and improved.
    New Hankook RS4.
    Any other confirmed or unconfirmed rumors?

Last edited by wrx74; 02-22-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Update
    1995 M Edition

I believe this is the tire I need to get..

Rival S 1.5 — The same proven Rival S compound introduced in 2015 with enhanced internal construction to improve turn-in and transitional response on low to medium horsepower momentum autocross cars. Rival S 1.5 will be available and SCCA Solo legal for 2017 in eight sizes with section widths 255mm and smaller across 15″-18″ rim diameters.
    Coming Spring 2017 new size 245/40VR15

I think it's going to be BFG vs Bridgestone again this year possibly with the RS4 thrown in. With the update to the BFG I would expect more cars on that vs last year.

The Hankook R-S4 is starting to show up on the Tire Rack site.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    I think it's going to be BFG vs Bridgestone again this year possibly with the RS4 thrown in. With the update to the BFG I would expect more cars on that vs last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    The Hankook R-S4 is starting to show up on the Tire Rack site.
    Added the Hankook RS4 to the list - Thanks!
    1995 M Edition

For you Facebookers, here's some info from the STR page on the new Rival1 1.5 vs RE-71R (ND faster on Rivals than 'Stones)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/423843664434333/
    1995 M Edition

FAKE NEWS FLASH: Hoosier announces new 200tw autocross tire available in ALL sizes and priced at just $99!
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

The Falken 615+ is cheap in 205/15 and 255/17 sizes and they have a $100 rebate.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...enis+RT615K%2B

Here is what Showtime Motorsports said about them. I do not know anything about Showtime just something I found on the net.

So testing went well yesterday. The Wisefab suspension performed well right out of the gate. Had some minor clearance issues but were resolved quickly.
    Tire testing was great as we went back to back several times testing the BFG Rival S to the Falken 615+. Keep in mind that the EVO is AWD and is set up for BFG's. I know the easy fix is what everyone wants, slap on a new set of tires and go a second quicker than the tire that you have been running, The Falken performed well, scrubbed in within two laps on the autoX course. It comes up to optimum temperature and pressures very quickly which is perfect for autoX. It was a few 10ths off of the BFG, but honestly we needed to make a spring change and other things to make the car set up work better to take advantage of the Falken's characteristics. On the Road course the tire was good on its first hot lap, which is the norm for all the tires we run in the Optima series. It was 4/10ths off of the BFG. With the right set up we think the tire will get very close to the BFG.

[QUOTE=Robert;323331]The Falken 615+ is cheap in 205/15 and 255/17 sizes and they have a $100 rebate.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...enis+RT615K%2B

Anyone has real life experience with this Falken for track use? This is a screaming TCB deal. A little over $300 for a set of 17" is stupid cheap! I did not like my last set of Falken a few years ago. I got too greasy too soon.
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    ...Here is what Showtime Motorsports said about them. I do not know anything about Showtime ...
    That's Ken Thwaits' company. Races in Optima Challenge with Mike DuSold.
    1995 M Edition

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    Anyone has real life experience with this Falken for track use? This is a screaming TCB deal. A little over $300 for a set of 17" is stupid cheap! I did not like my last set of Falken a few years ago. I got too greasy too soon.
    Take one for the team Gab! Buy a set!

Thanks for this and all you share! Congrats on Dixie Tour.
    Last edited by wrx74; 03-20-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    1995 M Edition

David

Thanks for doing this, great write-up.