Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7 May 2017 SCCA Club Trials and PDX registration is open

Default 7 May 2017 SCCA Club Trials and PDX registration is open

Hello trackies. Regenerate your 2(5)6 dilithium 2(:)l diallosilicate 1:9:1 heptoferranide crystals (aka Dt 86, or Dilithium crystals), overhaul your warp drives, back-flush your ion drives, get your forward and aft thrusters ready (don't forget to flush your brake and blinker fluid), and ENTER the May 2017 SCCA Club Trials and PDX event!!!

More info here: http://www.texasscca.org/trials/
    Registration here: http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...as-solo-492339

From the Texas Region SCCA Club Trials page:

TX Region SCCA Spring PDX and Club Trial

May 7, 2017

This is a Club Trials (PDX Level 2) event per SCCA time trial rules. SCCA Performance Driving Experience events (PDX) are designed to concentrate on driver enjoyment, philosophy, and the application of performance driving techniques. PDX is a non-competitive event. SCCAClub Trials (CT) events provide a constructive learning environment that stresses proper driving techniques, while at the same time offering a timed event. This event offers both PDX and Club Trials options for participants.
    Additionally, in 2017 Texas Region SCCA is offering a Club Trials Championship series, where points are earned for each Club Trial throughout the year.

This event has two elements – PDX, and Club Trial. Please choose the correct element during the registration process:

• The PDX element is open to novices with little or no track experience. PDX drivers will have an instructor assigned to them for the day.
    • The Club Trials element is a timed event (SCCA level 2 PDX), with the option to participate in the 2017 Club Trials Championship Series.
      • Driver qualification will be as follows:
        1. Hold a current SCCA Competition license, or a history of tracking events with SCCA or SCCA recognized organizations such as PCA, NASA, CHIN, BMW, PBOC, etc; or
        2. Hold a current SCCA PDX License; or
        3. Hold an SCCA PDX log book that indicates the ability to ‘solo’ and has successfully completed at least 3 SCCA PDX events; or
        4. Has been approved to drive solo by any of the following HPDE schools: Apex, Drivers Edge, Chinn, Eagles Canyon, Texas World, Edge Addicts.
        5. Receive an entry waiver from the PDX Chief Driving Instructor.

• If you do not meet the requirements of 1-4 above, you can request an entry waiver by contacting the Chief Driving Instructor, Brad Flack ([email protected]). All drivers approved for participation who do not meet 1-4 above and who don’t have and entry waiver will need to choose the PDX option when registering. PDX drivers will have an instructor assigned to them for the day. Log Books will be provided at registration. The log books will be filled out after each session and can be used toward PDX licensing.

Last edited by 865; 03-21-2017 at 10:52 PM.

I plan to attend.

Thinking about it.

Haven't done SCCA before. My car classed TTD under NASA's 2015 rules (last time I competed was April 2015), and there was quite a bit of paperwork/hassle (even had to do a dyno) involved in getting it classed. If I want to sign up for Club Trials, am I facing the same ordeal?

I'd just like to go out, have some fun and get a timing sheet to turn into Mazdaspeed. Unfortunately, I'm traveling so much for work right now that if it is anything like NASA, I wouldn't be able to get it done by May 7th. Need an "EASY" button.

??
    Last edited by hornetball; 03-23-2017 at 01:38 PM.

No dyno required. SCCA Solo II (autocross) rules are used for classing. You self-class by the Solo II rules, and self-inspect your car and sign your tech inspection sheet. Turn it in when you check-in. There is a brief impound after the last session to allow people in the same class-group (comprised of a collection of similar Solo II classes) to inspect each others cars. There is a nominal fee to file a protest. I haven't heard of anyone filing a protest.

The SCCA National Solo Rules page has the 2017 SCCA National Solo Rules pdf document, of which Appendix A has the basic classing by manufacturer, model, and year. You'll have to combine that with descriptions of allowed modifications (starting in chapter 13 of the full document) to determine where your car is classed. Or just describe your car and mods and someone here will be able to tell you.

Transponders required for CT, and available for rent when you register if you don't have one.

How is that for easy?
    Last edited by 865; 03-23-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 865 View Post
    The SCCA National Solo Rules page has the 2017 SCCA National Solo Rules pdf document, of which Appendix A has the basic classing by manufacturer, model, and year. You'll have to combine that with descriptions of allowed modifications (starting in chapter 13 of the full document) to determine where your car is classed. Or just describe your car and mods and someone here will be able to tell you.

Transponders required for CT, and available for rent when you register if you don't have one.

How is that for easy?
    That's pretty easy. Perused the rules, have some studying to do.

JJ and Neal know the car. 1995 Torsen Miata that's caged and stripped down to ~2100 pounds empty. Major mods:

1. VVT swap, I/H/E and Megasquirt. Made 134HP at the wheels.
    2. Xidas with 700/400 spring rates.
    3. 15x9 wheels and Toyo RRs.
    4. Small splitter (3", does not go beyond bumper) and Fabworx spoiler (again, not beyond bumper).
    5. Flyin' Miata frame rail condoms for my off-track adventures.

Very similar to Neal's red car. So if I knew his classing, that might give me a head start. Based upon a quick look, I'm thinking CSP?
    Last edited by hornetball; 03-23-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Is the car fully legal for Spec Miata? If so, it would be DSP. If not Spec Miata legal, Street Prepared requires a full interior. It may be D Prepared.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
    That's pretty easy. Perused the rules, have some studying to do.

JJ and Neal know the car. 1995 Torsen Miata that's caged and stripped down to ~2100 pounds empty. Major mods:

1. VVT swap, I/H/E and Megasquirt. Made 134HP at the wheels.
    2. Xidas with 700/400 spring rates.
    3. 15x9 wheels and Toyo RRs.
    4. Small splitter (3", does not go beyond bumper) and Fabworx spoiler (again, not beyond bumper).
    5. Flyin' Miata frame rail condoms for my off-track adventures.

Very similar to Neal's red car. So if I knew his classing, that might give me a head start. Based upon a quick look, I'm thinking CSP?
    Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    Is the car fully legal for Spec Miata? If so, it would be DSP. If not Spec Miata legal, Street Prepared requires a full interior. It may be D Prepared.
    Go with DP.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Go with DP.
    Roger. Thank you both.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
    Roger. Thank you both.

First to register gets 67!

Actually, we can both be 67, CSP67 and DP67.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    First to register gets 67!

Actually, we can both be 67, CSP67 and DP67.
    So THAT'S why you guys told me DP?!? Hahaha!!

Anyways, registered. Now to keep business travel from interfering . . . .

I may make this. How does SCCA Club Trials handle timing, bring your own transponder?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    I may make this. How does SCCA Club Trials handle timing, bring your own transponder?
    No prob. I think you can select an option when registering that you have your own transponder, which will give you cheaper entry.

No prob. I think you can select an option when registering that you have your own transponder, which will give you cheaper entry.
    Yep, there is a transponder rental option when you sign up for the event. It is $25 per day, so if you have your own compatible transponder, you can avoid that cost.

25 is reasonable, debating if I need to go ahead and buy/lease one. If running on full non DOT slicks is that prepared class?

Is it gridded by lap times so people aren't all over each other trying to get a fast lap in?

If you instruct do you run in the instructor group or club trial group
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

25 is reasonable, debating if I need to go ahead and buy/lease one. If running on full non DOT slicks is that prepared class?

Is it gridded by lap times so people aren't all over each other trying to get a fast lap in?

If you instruct do you run in the instructor group or club trial group
    DOT R-comps will put your in a Street Prepared class, unless your car is eligible for SSR (does that still exist?). Race slicks will put you in Prepared.

Gridded by lap times. The first session is best-guess.

No instructors. Usually only one group.

Instructors are needed for the people who sign up for PDX. Brad mentioned that they are looking for instructors for that. Since PDX and CT are in different sessions, it may be possible to do both if the schedule is not too tight. Email Brad if interested.

DOT R-comps will put your in a Street Prepared class, unless your car is eligible for SSR (does that still exist?). Race slicks will put you in Prepared.

Gridded by lap times. The first session is best-guess.

No instructors. Usually only one group.
    Run Pirelli DH slicks, what prepared class does a GT3 go in, I have no idea? Is it PAX'd based on your SCCA class? If so I prob won't be competitive running random prepared class with a super stock R car on cheater tires.

Brad said instructors run in the CT group
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Run Pirelli DH slicks, what prepared class does a GT3 go in, I have no idea? Is it PAX'd based on your SCCA class? If so I prob won't be competitive running random prepared class with a super stock R car on cheater tires.

Brad said instructors run in the CT group
    It is all based on your SCCA Solo class, so whatever the Solo Manual says, then that's your class.

AFAIK, Club Trial is not for novices, so there is no instruction given in the CT group. If you are an instructor for the PDX, then you would drive yourself in the CT group.

BTW, this is not that hard. Just show up and drive. I seem to get away with that.

It is all based on your SCCA Solo class, so whatever the Solo Manual says, then that's your class.

AFAIK, Club Trial is not for novices, so there is no instruction given in the CT group. If you are an instructor for the PDX, then you would drive yourself in the CT group.
    When you sign up there's a sign up for instructors and a sign up for CT, HPDE 1, 2 or whatever. Just clarifying if you are an instructor who is instructing someone in a lower run group you would still be driving in the CT run group but you sign up as 'instructor' not CT.

What's the prepared class for SSP cars?

SS---->SSP---->?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast