Thread: 2017 Solo Nationals

Default 2017 Solo Nationals

I'm thinking about going to Nationals this year. I won't be a favorite for a podium, but I'd like to give it my best anyway.

STR class is going to be on Tuesday/Wednesday (September 5th and 6th), so it won't conflict with Miatas @ Hallett, which is Friday and Saturday of the same week (September 8th and 9th). The class schedule shows STR, STS, BS, ES, CSP, DP, and SSM are all on Tue/Wed, while CS and XP are on Thu/Fri. Did I miss any of the classes that a Miata can be in? CS and XP Miata folks probably won't be able to make the Nationals and Miatas @ Hallett both, but the rest of us should have no problem, aside from the usual (e.g., work schedules).

2017 Tire Rack SCCA Solo Nationals

September 04, 2017 to September 08, 2017
    Lincoln Airpark
    Lincoln, NE

Who else is going?

Where's the best place to stay?

Anyone want to caravan to and fro? (Make the trip less boring.)

What else do I need to know/do to prepare (besides hone my driving skills)?

Try to get there early Monday or Sunday night. Nationals is pretty crazy and figuring out where to go and what to do can be daunting for a first timer. If you have all of Monday to check in, get teched and walk the course it will go a lot smoother.

If you do get there for Monday Kim and I host a lunch every year (this will be the 7th year) so you should come to that. Last year we had between 100-150 people show up.

Sounds like fun! I'm going to take the whole week off, so I'll plan to be there on Sunday night.

Is the Staybridge Suites, mentioned on the SCCA page for this event, the only / best place to stay? Any other good options? I want to make reservations early, as in now.

Quote Originally Posted by 865 View Post
    Is the Staybridge Suites, mentioned on the SCCA page for this event, the only / best place to stay? Any other good options? I want to make reservations early, as in now.
    There are TONS of places to stay. Just use your favorite hotel search site.

If you want to look up how far a hotel is from the site the entrance is here:
    https://goo.gl/maps/EsS9zzcyrm62

Try to book a few runs on the test and tune course. Bring a bike. Be prepared for frustration with getting a paddock spot. Hopefully it will be better this year but it has been a cluster the past few. Watch out for cops in Nebraska.

^--- Good stuff! Thanks.

If paddock space is really tight, I might rent a car there to get around town. Then I can keep my Miata in paddock to reserve my spot.

Spots are assigned. No need to protect it once you finally get one.

If I make it to Nats this year, I'll have to find a codrive for Tu/Wed. GS is on Th/Fri and I can't miss a football game
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing