Thread: Mixing tires

Default Mixing tires

I'm looking for RE71Rs in 245/40/17, but I can't find 4 of them. I've got a line on 2 of them, locally. Tire Rack shows 1 in stock and more coming in mid-July. I'm probably going to need them before then.

I know, call Baker. I tried Baker a little while ago, but he was gone, and won't be back in until Saturday. I'll check with him then. Discount Tire doesn't have them and can't get them any time soon. Meanwhile, does anyone know of a source for the 245/40/17 RE71R?

Is it a bad idea to run different brand tires front and rear? Say RE71Rs at one end, and BFG Rival 1.5's at the other? Or would it be better to just go with BFGs if I can't find enough Bridgestones?

People do it, often because the size they want is not made by Brand X. I would rather have all the same. Consider the Hankook RS4, if they're available in your size.

Strangely, my local Discount Tire had no knowledge of, info on, or access to either the new BFG G-Force Rival S 1.5 or the Hankook Ventus R-S4. Man, those guys are behind the times. Those tires have been available now for several weeks!

Todd Eaddy at Discount Tire on Ohio Drive in Plano searched high and low and was able to round up a set of 4 tires for me. They all four came from different parts of the country.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

I've never tried, but I wonder if the local Firestone dealers would have an inside source?

Quote Originally Posted by nomadtrash View Post
    Todd Eaddy at Discount Tire on Ohio Drive in Plano searched high and low and was able to round up a set of 4 tires for me. They all four came from different parts of the country.
    Good, I'll check with him. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by riverman1 View Post
    I've never tried, but I wonder if the local Firestone dealers would have an inside source?
    Good idea. There are several near me. I'd forgotten that Bridgestone owns Firestone (since 1988, it seems).

Quote Originally Posted by 865 View Post

Is it a bad idea to run different brand tires front and rear? Say RE71Rs at one end, and BFG Rival 1.5's at the other? Or would it be better to just go with BFGs if I can't find enough Bridgestones?
    I have done it because I could not get the size I needed. I would avoid doing it if you can. The biggest problem is the different way they react to heat. One end coming in as the other end is going away made it hard to get the balance of the car right as it was always changing. Go with BFGs on both ends.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Interesting that the RE71's are last in Tire Racks ratings...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...ay.jsp?type=EP

9.5 dry rating is all that matters
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    People do it, often because the size they want is not made by Brand X. I would rather have all the same. Consider the Hankook RS4, if they're available in your size.
    I got a set of these.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnota911 View Post
    I got a set of these.
    Annnnd?

We need more info. Do you like them? Are they faster/slower than the Stones/BFG’s.? Are they forgiving of over driving or do they make you pay for going over the edge? And any other traits you want to add.

I'm considering Nexen if I'm unable to find a couple more Bridgestones. Two of the top four (of seven) trophy spots in STR at the Pro Solo in Mineral Wells this past weekend were on Nexens. Out of the top ten in STR, six were on BFGs, three on Nexens, and one on Bridgestones.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I have done it because I could not get the size I needed. I would avoid doing it if you can. The biggest problem is the different way they react to heat. One end coming in as the other end is going away made it hard to get the balance of the car right as it was always changing. Go with BFGs on both ends.
    Thanks. That is the sort of difference that will likely keep me from trying it.

I'm literally just ordered them and should get them delivered today and installed later this week. I loved my BFG Rivals, so we will see how they perform.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Annnnd?

We need more info. Do you like them? Are they faster/slower than the Stones/BFG’s.? Are they forgiving of over driving or do they make you pay for going over the edge? And any other traits you want to add.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    9.5 dry rating is all that matters
    Lol, This spring everyone should be shopping for monsoon rated tires. Maybe some of those sticky rally tires they use would work well.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide