Thread: Rev-matching and Flat-bottom Steering Wheels

Chassis Designer

Default Rev-matching and Flat-bottom Steering Wheels

Hi all,

So, not sure it it's my improper form, a physical issue, or just lameness, but for some reason when I heel / toe with the Miata, my knee hits the lower part of the steering wheel, impeding my ability to rev-match cleanly.

I am thinking a flat bottom steering wheel may solve the problem... and I have this one in mind, the only decent wheel that is offered with a leather rim (I hate suede / alcantarra)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JI3G4S...=3TRGTOOPHMF4H

Any comments / reviews / thoughts?

Does anyone have this wheel? I would love to check it out in person before pulling the trigger on it.

Thanks in advance!

-Run

Chassis Designer

The same wheel on Sparco's site:

http://www.sparcousa.com/product/l360

Can you describe your heel-toe technique? My knee is never higher than any other normal operation or even in a different position. Are you actually using your heel? I have a gas pedal addition from Rennenmetal (sadly no longer in operation, apparently) and blip the throttle with right side of my foot and braking with the left side. My foot is still pretty much vertical.

Chassis Designer

Wisenwheimer, sorry for the delay. For some reason DFWM is not sending email notifications, and I have been traveling for work.

To answer your question, yes, I use my heel on the gas pedal. When threshold braking need to use the ball of my foot, centered over the brake pedal; I can't apply enough pressure with just the left side of my foot.

Hmm. Maybe I'm not braking hard enough but I've never had a problem getting enough pressure on both. Do you have a gas pedal extension? Some people bend the gas pedal to the left, but that sounded a bit wonky to me. Maybe experimenting with different techniques would be a workable solution for you.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Here is a video of how Walter Röhrl dances on the pedals.

On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

The first seven seconds of this video shows what I'm talking about.

'99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

you've got some long ass legs if your knee is hitting the steering wheel. I put a gas pedal extension (sparco, ~$37 for the full set, slightly more if you buy just the gas pedal) on my NC and my WRX. There's no way my knee could hit anything since my foot is moving just a few degrees to catch the lip of the gas pedal.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I haven't had any issues being 6'1" and conducting heel and toe in my NC, but there are many variables in play such as steering wheel position, technique, and how you like to sit. I've never felt there's a wrong or right way of doing things. If it works it works.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    you've got some long ass legs if your knee is hitting the steering wheel. I put a gas pedal extension (sparco, ~$37 for the full set, slightly more if you buy just the gas pedal) on my NC and my WRX. There's no way my knee could hit anything since my foot is moving just a few degrees to catch the lip of the gas pedal.
    Off-topic, what gen of WRX? I used to have an 03 in midnight pearl black, fun car!
    2013 MX5 Club (AKA Keiko) - Valentine One loyalist - I'm that guy giving thumbs-up and hang-loose signs on the highway.

Current gen. Lapis Blue.

https://goo.gl/photos/d1igqvN56dQrqWoC8
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Try braking with your heel and blipping the gas with your toe. My feet turn that direction more easily and it works for me.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Try braking with your heel and blipping the gas with your toe. My feet turn that direction more easily and it works for me.
    Hey! We were busy threadjacking here!

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Very nice! Mine looked like this

Actually had two police officers not give me a ticket and instead ask me about my car hahaha. Once I was doing 60 in a 45 (to avoid a collision) and he just said "wow, that's a pretty fast car."
    2013 MX5 Club (AKA Keiko) - Valentine One loyalist - I'm that guy giving thumbs-up and hang-loose signs on the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Also, I'm pretty sure Bob Bondurant just died a little so he could roll over in his grave at the very thought! Modulating the brake with your heel is weak sauce.