Thread: TNIA 2018 and the Texas track that shall not be named

Default TNIA 2018 and the Texas track that shall not be named

Heyward Wagner, SCCA's Director of Marketing and Experiential Programs, was talking on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! tonight about, among other things, the 2018 Track Night in America schedule. He said there would be 120 to 125 events total held on over 30 tracks around the country. He said "... going back to everywhere we went last year, with the exception of one Texas track that shall not be named ...".

What track is that? I'm guessing COTA. Anyone know what track he was talking about? And why?

Did TNIA ever go to TWS?

Quote Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
    Did TNIA ever go to TWS?
    No

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

MotorSport Ranch; Cresson, TX
    April 10, May 8, June 5, September 18

Bunch of Tuesday's again. That works for me.

COTA was an add-on in August last year, not part of the original schedule. But in light of the comments made by Heyward Wagner and in light of a series of scheduled track days at Harris Hill and Cresson, it seems likely that the "Texas track that shall not be named" is COTA. Sad, but not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    MotorSport Ranch; Cresson, TX
    April 10, May 8, June 5, September 18
    Anyone know the configurations for these events?
    Shinsen #1198

Last year it was the 1.7 CCW for all of them. It's likely to be the same this year. No other configuration at Cresson is nearly as suitable for introducing first-time novices to the track. Recall that Track Night’s primary purpose is to offer a fun, safe opportunity for everyday people to get on real racetracks.

I'm thinking about registering for TNiA on the 10th, if it isn't full already. I haven't done TNiA or driven at Cresson and it'll be my first time tracking this car. I'm thinking about registering as Intermediate. I'm just now noticing that the only allowed "instructors" are other drivers from a more advanced group. Anyone planning to go to this event in the Advanced group willing to sit in with me at least my first session?
    2013 Audi S4
    1997 Montego Blue Miata

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^You may want to start in Novice, at least until you get a feel for the car/track.

Quote Originally Posted by GroceryHauler View Post
    I'm thinking about registering for TNiA on the 10th, if it isn't full already. I haven't done TNiA or driven at Cresson and it'll be my first time tracking this car. I'm thinking about registering as Intermediate. I'm just now noticing that the only allowed "instructors" are other drivers from a more advanced group. Anyone planning to go to this event in the Advanced group willing to sit in with me at least my first session?
    I second sammm's suggestion. The first Novice session is a paced lap that will help familiarize you with the circuit.

But if you decide to sign up in intermediate, I can go with you on your first session. The first intermediate session is immediately after the first advanced session, so you might miss a couple of minutes of your session while I transition out of my car to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by 865 View Post
    I second sammm's suggestion. The first Novice session is a paced lap that will help familiarize you with the circuit.

But if you decide to sign up in intermediate, I can go with you on your first session. The first intermediate session is immediately after the first advanced session, so you might miss a couple of minutes of your session while I transition out of my car to yours.
    I might take you up on that! I just emailed them and was told I "might be more experienced than most of the other KONI Novices and the experience would not be good for any of you" and suggested I "consider asking the coaches for permission to go on the Novice Touring Laps" which sounds like an excellent idea to me.
    2013 Audi S4
    1997 Montego Blue Miata

Intermediate + Novice Touring Laps (I bet they'll let you join) + me coaching on your first session sounds like a good plan. I'll PM you my number.

What's a good Android app for track use? Predictive lap timing might be good but definitely want things logged for later review. I have Trackmaster but have only used it, with limited success, for autocross.
    2013 Audi S4
    1997 Montego Blue Miata

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

RaceChrono is a good one (and free). I don't have an external transponder, just my phone.

I use TrackAddict on my Android phone. It is also good, and free.

I tried Harry's Lap Timer (not free), but I had some problems with it. I needed to use a bluetooth helper app to access my external 10 hz GPS, and the app would occasionally drop the connection.

With any phone lap timer, you'll get the best results by using it in conjunction with a 5 or 10 hz external GPS device. Phones usually have a 1 hz GPS. I use the 10hz Skypro XGPS160. It works great.
    Last edited by 865; 03-22-2018 at 11:42 AM.

I have a 5 - 10Hz Qstarz external Bluetooth GPS.

EDIT. More like 1/5/10 HZ (to be more specific). Almost mentioned that to begin with. I guess I can try a different one each session! Thanks.

EDIT EDIT. The 10hz Skypro XGPS160 is actually on my possible upgrade list. Not sure how much better it is than the one I have, though. Mine will do 10hz but it doesn't use GLONASS and only does differential GPS up to 5hz.
    2013 Audi S4
    1997 Montego Blue Miata

I've only experimented with it some but so far track addict looks pretty useful. Thanks.
    2013 Audi S4
    1997 Montego Blue Miata

One odd thing about Track Addict is that it identifies the two MSR-C courses as "East" and "West", instead of 1.7 and 1.3 mile. In case the sun isn't out, or it's noon, or for those who are just directionally challenged anyway, the "East" course is the 1.7. The "West" course is the 1.3. The 3.1 configuration is referred to as "Full", so no confusion there.

We'll be on the "East" course for this event.

Registered for April 10.