Thread: Clutch Issue

Default Clutch Issue

Hey All,

Hoping you might be able to point me in the best place to start since this repair is going to be done in a parking lot (hopefully) and I want to get together the likely tools and parts I need to drive it home.

I got in to work this morning and as I pulled in to a parking spot, the clutch hit the floor and the car of course stalled. There is no actuation point and while the clutch pedal still rises, it takes nearly zero effort to drop it back down. I looked at the master cylinder and slave cylinder and the lines that connect them and everything is bone dry with no visible leaks and there is a normal amount of fluid in the reservoir. Around 6 months ago I did have to add fluid but I'm honestly not sure if it was low when I got it, or it had leaked out over time. Also, fluid is very dark so perhaps a leaking slave cylinder?

Thoughts? The car is an 01.

I appreciate your help!
    Last edited by Deserving; 04-24-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Info

I would guess the slave. I've replaced one in a parking lot as well. . . .
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Did you check the slave itself, under the car? Squeeze the rubber boot and see if fluid squirts out.

Attempted to from the top, managed to get a slight grip on it and squeezed, but I will try again to pull the boot back.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Go in thru the fender well....passenger side, I think.

Short update, I replaced the clutch slave, the boot came apart in pieces but was dry. Still get no pedal, cannot even get fluid to enter the system with the bleeder valve open. Guessing it is the master cylinder?

Edit: was able to get fluid through the system and was able to bleed the system utilizing the clutch pedal. However, still zero pedal resistance and no clutch activation.
    Last edited by Deserving; 04-24-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Symtoms sound like the Master isn't doing its job anymore.

Edit: was able to get fluid through the system and was able to bleed the system utilizing the clutch pedal. However, still zero pedal resistance and no clutch activation.[/QUOTE]

You sure no leak from the clutch line? The one runs from firewall down to the slave cylinder. I had a 99 with the same symptoms. After weeks of tracking down the problem only to find out the rubber line was busted! Given the age of your car, it is worth checking this out. The rubber line starts on the right side of the firewall and run down to the transmission when you look from the top.
    Gabriel

I did check all of the lines from the master cylinder down to the slave and there didn't appear to be any leaks. I replaced the master cylinder this morning and bled the system and finally have a clutch again, albeit an extremely stiff one. One less thing to worry about for awhile I suppose.

Thanks for the help all!
    Last edited by Deserving; 04-25-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Always replace both Master and Slave........or you will be in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Always replace both Master and Slave........or you will be in short order.
    Yep. Replace the coiled section with a new stainless steel line to make installation and bleeding easier as well. A vacuum pump will also make bleeding the clutch easier as bumping takes FOREVER.
    Last edited by sammm; 05-15-2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: No commercials, please
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)