Thread: Production Version Of Mazda Concept Suv To Be Launched In 2006

Default Production Version Of Mazda Concept Suv To Be Launched In 2006

All-new model to be named Mazda CX-7

IRVINE, Calif. – Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today announced that the vehicle shown as the MX-Crossport at January's North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Mich., will formally move from concept to production vehicle. Mazda also announced that the vehicle will be named Mazda CX-7, fitting into the company's global naming strategy.

"The addition of the CX-7 to the Mazda lineup is a critical step forward for us in terms of our ability to grow Mazda's business in North America," said Jim O'Sullivan, president and CEO, MNAO. "In order to succeed, we have to be true to our core values and for any vehicle to wear the Winged-M logo on the grille, it must have the soul of a sportscar."

In Mazda's new global naming strategy, crossover-type sport-utility vehicles (SUVs) will carry the CX designation (CX-7). Core vehicles will continue to carry the name MAZDA and a number, based on vehicle size (MAZDA2, MAZDA3, MAZDA5, MAZDA6); rotary-engined sports cars carry the RX designation and piston-engined sports cars carry the MX designation (MX-5, as will be seen on the all-new Mazda MX-5 Miata in the United States). Tribute, MPV and B-Series Truck will continue with their current nomenclature.

The production Mazda CX-7 will pick up many of the design cues of the concept vehicle, and will be built solely in Hiroshima, Japan. More information about the vehicle will be available as the year progresses.

Mazda North American Operations is responsible for the sales and marketing, customer parts and service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States. Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., MNAO has more than 700 dealerships nationwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Except for the silly Altezza tail-lights, it looks pretty good.
    Agreed. Let's hope they give it enough power to compete. SUVs still aren't my "thing", but if I had to buy one, it would be something like this (or a balls-out Wrangler Rubicon... ).

S.

I saw a green Miata today in Watauga today that had those. It also had a hard top and aftermarket spoiler... anyone on this list?

The Alteza's on my Neon were changed from stock without my knowledge. My buddy Kei Josephson did it when we were prepping the car for STS. I had shipped the car to him from Atlanta while I was looking for a house in DFW. When I went to pick it up, there they were... Of course, that was back in 2000 and they were more acceptable then, and I didn't think they looked TOO bad...still don't, but certainly a far cry from the look of an "old guys" car...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"