I just got my car back. I don't know what I was thinking when I looked over the way this car drove when I test drove it originally. I guess I made my buying decision on emotion as I couldn't believe how nice of shape it was in appearance wise.

This car is a completely different animal now. the AC doesn't even phase it. It drives like it should, and pulls strong from 1K. No more overheating too. It seems like the old waterpump was going out as it was still overheating even after the new radiator and themostat.

I was trying to explain to Eric's mechanics about the cranskhaft keyway issue, but they kept dismissing it like I didn't know what I was talking about. They kept trying to tell me that that cranshaft itself was bent. I was like what? crankshafts don't get bent. I know that much.

So when I went to pick it up today, I had one of their mechanics forklift the old engine out of the junk pile, and remove the lower pulley. He made short work of it with his air gun. amazing how efficient one can be with the engine out and at eye level.

after removing the covers and cutting off the timing belt, he took off the pulley to see what we had inside. Look here! Why don't you know it, the keyway is gouged to shit. With great pleasure, I went and got eric and the mechanic who gave me the shpeel and let them see it with their own eyes.

When he took off the lower cog, there was a considerable amount of what looked like rust dust in there. Here are the pics.

the key was fused into the lower cog. I took it home with me as a souvinear (SP?) and will post pictures of what I mean.

It also turned out that my header was cracked. I've noticed during the 45min drive home, a considerable decrease in heat from the footwell.

The new engine is of the "big nose" or "large nose" variety. it has the eight grooves instead of the four.

There is an issue with the idle as it surges for a bit after blipping the throttle. I suspect the non ecu idle needs adjustment which I will do tonight using the paperclip.

I'm glad to have this whole thing behind me. Thanks for all the support technically and emotionally. I'm going to repost this to the miata.net forums so don't be surprised when you see it again ;p Anyone interested in a '01 Prelude Type SH. 77,800 miles. Excellent condition inside and out. Asking $11,000.