Thread: wierd problem... posted this on the pointy board too....

Default wierd problem... posted this on the pointy board too....

Ok. I blew up the motor in my 2000 and have replaced it with a reman shortblock from a protege.(wanted the lower c/r) I also replaced the fw and clutch with a Fidanza and ACT HD. The car ran well for the first 300 miles, but I am having issues with it dying when I press the clutch in recently.

I cleaned the throttle body when the engine was out, and have adjusted the idle (10/grd), but I am still having the problem. I can be driving down the highway and just slip the car out of gear without using the clutch and it idles fine, but if i press the clutch in it wants to die.

I have read about the clutch switch, can I just bypass this switch to test if it is the problem or is there another route to try? Seems like if I jumped the switch it would cause the problem to happen all the time...

I think the clutch is fully disengaging b/c I can drive down the highway and step on the clutch with it in gear and the car wants to die. I would think that if the clutch wasnt disengaging that the drivetrain would keep the motor revs up...

It is a little frustrating b/c I have a whole new engine to trouble shoot instead of just a new part or two...

Any Ideas?

Also, this is a BRP gt25r turbo car.
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

Does it act like the ignition is being cut or like it has some sort of a mechanical bind with the clutch depressed??

What happens if you raise the idle, does it still die?

After reading a bit, I did the "cruise control test" to see which switch was bad, the neutral switch or the clutch switch. I set the cc and slipped the car into neutral and the revs climbed and the cc did not disengage, so that is the one that is bad or disconnected. The cc would disengage when I stepped on the clutch.

I have the car up on jack stands cooling off and I will go poke around a little bit later.

Chris
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

i know it is on the erlier cars, i also know they have another setup for the mazdaspeed cars, because you cant use a vaccum cruise on a boosted car.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Is the CC vacuum operated?
    Yes, but it will turn off if you 1.) go into neutral(neutral switch) 2.) press the clutch (clutch switch) or 3. hit the brakes (brake switch).

Chris
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric