Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Install help w/springs and shocks

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I'd love to hear exactly how wrapping a moving blanket around a compressed spring is safer than using a tool specifically designed for the job.
    Well then, lesson on how to install shocks are open for registration starting Monday.

All that wrenching leaves room for a slip and a busted knuckle or whatever. If you know how to do it, blanket method takes half the wrenching. for instance, no little blankets...I'm using a very large and think U Haul blanket. A lot of things can be done better, faster, or more efficient but are not always done in those ways since many people are not competent enough to safely carry out the task. Guess I should be careful dispensing information these days. I'll have my attorney friend whip up a disclaimer just in case; don't want one of those "McDonald's" lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by altain
    For holding the shock/spring assembly in place while tightening and loosening the spring compressors. Don't worry - no vise needed for the "bomb in a blanket" method either.
    Okay, that makes sense for tightening them, obviously wouldn't work with the shortcut removal method. That would be better than holding the shocks on the ground to tighten the spring compressor....need to get a bench vise for the new place.

Wait a minute....didn't you guys install FM springs? I didn't need a spring compressor to install them. I used it to take the stock ones off. At least the set FM sent me were short enough to not need it to put them on.

*nevermind, forgot you had an NB
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    A lot of things can be done better, faster, or more efficient...

Just out of sheer curiosity... I'd like to know how the "blanket method" works.

Talking blanket

yah, i'd like to see that bomb in a blanket, lol... actually i replaced both
    lower control arms in my car and didn't use anything to compress the shocks.
    They just stayed in place, but taking them of would set the timer, lol...
    Hey i luv the pictures, the one titled "frisco junk yard" so who drives that one with the black wheels, that car looks killer. how many miata's were there? i like the dual diagnal roll bars... pretty kool pics.
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Just out of sheer curiosity... I'd like to know how the "blanket method" works.
    I know to one that has never done it, it sounds a bit crazy. I thought so too at first. Unlike most peole I know, I actually follow most saftey procedures and actually wear eye protection, etc. so this is a little out of the norm for me working on cars.

If you have a large, thick and strong blanket such as the U Haul moving blanket I have, you can wrap the shock up like a burrito and jam the socket on a huge extention in there and loosen the nut the last few turns and if you hold your foot on the shock hat while doing this, it will only move a couple inches in the blanket. Again, if you are going to try it this way and save a lot of time/hassle from using the compressor, make sure you have a large strong blanket and fold the ends in when you wrap it up just to be on the safe side. There yah go, redneck shortcut for the day!

P.S. I do have a nice spring compressor and do use it often. Just that I can save about an hour of wrenching by doing the shortcut above.

And if you are doing shock removal with FM springs on an M1 at least, you don't need a spring compressor to remove or install them cause the little bastards are sooo short!

Between trying 6 different combinations between my 90 street/track car and the 92 project track car, I've gotten the shock install down to an art form...I've done all 4 shocks on the 90 in about an hour with no help, which is pretty damn fast IMO.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Oh yeah, Beautiful car Tim. Love those exhaust tips and wheels look great!

Anyone know if the M2 FM springs settle down after a while? His car looks like it has so much ground clearance compared to my M1 with FM springs and AGX shocks. Looks great Tim, just that mine is sooo low.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Nice pics!

Is that glare from the head or from the paint on the car?

If you'd been there, you wouldn't have to ask
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Hey Ice,
    I will take another pic tonight and post it as the car has settled more. It's hard to see the top of the tires in the set because of so little contrast in the shadows. The last picture in that set next to the train was the "before" picture. I deleted it so no one would think that was the final result.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Cool, hope the M2 FM springs work out good. Yah, that train pic looked a bit high! I just replaced my worn out AGX shocks (don't ask) and am still not pleased. My 90 is too low and very bumpy. The rear subframe brace didn't do too much, so must be the springs. Every little bump makes the car jiggle no matter what setting I put the shocks on. I guess I just have bad luck with my 90. Probably gonna put the stock springs back on soon.

Peterson alignment accomplished today..............can you say "ROAD TRIP!!!"
    The car handles extremely well now and should make it through the twisties at Deals Gap next week
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Wanna try them out at MSR this Saturday?
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234