Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Might be moving to Dallas…. Advice on where I should live?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    Well, I think the only way he would be able to commute from Plano and Frisco to Downtown in 45 minutes would be in a helicopter. Trust me I did the downtown area to EDS on Legacy commute for 3 years and that was going against traffic. I prefer to live 5-10 minutes from my work. Depending on preference, budget, need for schools and kids, etc. I would recommend Uptown, Highland Park/University Park, Lakewood, North Dallas inside the loop, Kessler /Stevens Park, Devonshire, Greenbriar. Never cared much for the burbs myself.
    Thanks Mathews2004... this is the type of info I need. Most of these areas don't seem to be actually cities/towns, as they don't show up on city lists in any of the MLS search sites. Perhaps you have a zip code I could search on? I found Highland Park and University Park, but they are WAY out of my price range (least expensive house listed is $458,000 for 2072 sqft).

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Factor in the lower property taxes, insurance, less congestion, good schools, etc., in the Mid-Cities/Colleyville/Grapevine/Southlake area, why would you want to live in North Dallas?
    Thanks Iain. What type of commute does this area offer?

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92
    Titus quoted "perhaps an Übercharger in my future?"

Why not a M62? They are out and there are atleast 3 in the area with plenty of support. Plus they are already in production.

Chris
    I have a 1.6. FM and BRP both have said they have plans for 1.6 versions. I am also very interested in the BRP Coldside which thay plan on re-tooling for the 1.6. I guess it will come down to what is available when my next bonus comes!

Hmm... mass transit. Hey, isn't that where I get up at the crack of dawn in order to drive 20 minutes to the nearest train station, just so I can leave my car in uncovered parking in a high crime area all day, take a 30-minute train ride into downtown, then catch two buses in order to get to my office? All of which takes me longer than my typical commute, and also costs more than gas and covered parking? :P
    That is about the experience I had when I tried the Sacramento Light Rail system that we have here. I will check it out, but I prefer to keep my Miata far away from "uncovered parking in a high crime area".

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

For the record, I've never used any mass transit in the U.S.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    all depends on your definition of mass... what's that van weigh again?

There's nothing like the NYC subway system... probably my favorite! It's always an experience.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    There's nothing like the NYC subway system... probably my favorite! It's always an experience.
    A bunch of us from work were up in the Washington DC area last year performing our Disaster Recovery testing. We got there 2 days early (cheap bastard's saving airfare $) and had a few days to kill. We rode the Metro subway all over the place! I was really impressed with how clean and efficient it was!

People here in the Metromess are too in love with their pickup's, Hummer's, Benz's, Beemer's and Miatae to bother with mass transit (IMHO).

ran across this article in this Month D Magazine

http://www.dmagazine.com//article.asp?articleid=677
    Interesting article, but it reminded me of another reason I like living in the 'burbs: my circa 1991 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom, 2100-square foot home with central heat & air, attached two car garage, and a large yard cost me a whopping $117,000 three years ago.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

ran across this article in this Month D Magazine

http://www.dmagazine.com//article.asp?articleid=677
    Interesting article, but it reminded me of another reason I like living in the 'burbs: my circa 1991 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom, 2100-square foot home with central heat & air, attached two car garage, and a large yard cost me a whopping $117,000 three years ago.
    Different strokes for different folks. Sure you paid less and you get less charm, little community interaction, unknown resale value and no history.

Nothing against your choice but those premiums people pay in older neighborhoods offer distinct value to many.

We all know you love the mid-cities but some of us would never consider it. I have nothing against the burbs but would much rather live in a historic neighborhood with quiet tree-lined streets, neighbors that interact with each other and distinctive architecture.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by droptop
    Different strokes for different folks. Sure you paid less and you get less charm, little community interaction, unknown resale value and no history.

Nothing against your choice but those premiums people pay in older neighborhoods offer distinct value to many.

We all know you love the mid-cities but some of us would never consider it. I have nothing against the burbs but would much rather live in a historic neighborhood with quiet tree-lined streets, neighbors that interact with each other and distinctive architecture.
    Sorry if I offended, droptop. I was just offering my perspective on another location. I understand that many would never consider living in the suburbs. To give you a little perspective on my own situation, I've also lived in the Electric Building in downtown Fort Worth, so I've done a little "city living" as well. It was fun and interesting, but in the end I do prefer the 'burbs for reasons I've previously listed.

As for neighborhood interaction, I know most of the neighbors on my street by first name, and we often go out to dinner together or have each other over for parties. I feel safe enough in my neighborhood that I typically left the Civic unlocked when we owned three cars and it lived in the driveway.

As for resale value... well, my next door neighbor (who moved into his house 6 months before I and paid $116,500 for his) just sold his house for $152,000 after 26 days on the market. I've also watched two other houses on my street go for $150k+ in the last year. So I have a pretty good idea of what my resale value is.

As for charm... I find not having to deal with Dallas city traffic chraming enough in its own right to justify a little less individuality in the architecture around me. I also find houses designed with central a/c very charming, especially in this climate. :P
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Iain,

You didn't offend me but you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Dallas and the neighborhoods mentioned in the article.

Many of those older homes have been retrofitted with CH&A or can have it done. Secondly ,the natural shade of the large trees and the designs of the homes keeps them cooler than you might imagine.

As for Dallas traffic, it is no worse, infact in some ways better that the traffic you mid-cities folk have to deal with. Heck, I van-pool to work for $5 a month. Even before I did that, I made a commute from McKinney to Love Field area in about an hour and fifteen minutes daily. That included transversing the high five. Now that I live in Plano the commute is under 45 minutes.

Other options for Dallas folks are car pool lanes, two tollways and the Dart Light Rail. I've driven 183 and 360 during rush hour and they are regularly worse than 635, NW HWY, 75, G. Bush or the DNTW.

I can't speak for DT Ft Worth commuters. Totally ignorant when it comes to working anywhere near there. I do know this, if you work in Dallas, live near Dallas!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by droptop
    Iain,

You didn't offend me but you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Dallas and the neighborhoods mentioned in the article.

Many of those older homes have been retrofitted with CH&A or can have it done. Secondly ,the natural shade of the large trees and the designs of the homes keeps them cooler than you might imagine.

As for Dallas traffic, it is no worse, infact in some ways better that the traffic you mid-cities folk have to deal with. Heck, I van-pool to work for $5 a month. Even before I did that, I made a commute from McKinney to Love Field area in about an hour and fifteen minutes daily. That included transversing the high five. Now that I live in Plano the commute is under 45 minutes.

Other options for Dallas folks are car pool lanes, two tollways and the Dart Light Rail. I've driven 183 and 360 during rush hour and they are regularly worse than 635, NW HWY, 75, G. Bush or the DNTW.

I can't speak for DT Ft Worth commuters. Totally ignorant when it comes to working anywhere near there. I do know this, if you work in Dallas, live near Dallas!
    I know, DT - much of what I was saying about a/c was meant in jest. Although I'd still rather have a home designed around it than retrofitted for it...

Having worked in Carrolton, Plano, and dowtown Dallas during my many & varied careers, I'd have to argue with you on freeway congestion. 183 isn't a picnic, but 635 between I-35W & 75 is without a doubt the worst stretch of superslab in DFW, imho.

Don't get me wrong, the beauty of the metroplex is that it offers so many different housing options, from beautiful and unique 100-year old homes with mature grounds, to lofts and high-rise apartments, to the cookie-cutter (but high value) 'burbs, to cheap land for multi-acre living on the fringes of the developed areas. Even better, they're all typically a lot more affordable than comparable homes on either coast, that's for sure.
    Iain

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Good thing there are so many choices here in the Metromess. We can all choose and live in the environment we like!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Good thing there are so many choices here in the Metromess. We can all choose and live in the environment we like!
    I am really starting to think that so many choices is going to make this a very hard decision to make via the internet and a weekend visit. I may be apartment bound so we can get to know the area a little first.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I am really starting to think that so many choices is going to make this a very hard decision to make via the internet and a weekend visit. I may be apartment bound so we can get to know the area a little first.
    That may not be such a bad idea.

Useless trivia alert! Dallas/Fort Worth is, if I'm not mistaken, the largest metropolitan area in the world in terms of square mileage. It's also has the lowest population density of any large metropolitan area in the Northern hemisphere. In other words, this is a big place - there may only be about 4 million people in the metroplex, but the physical area that DFW encompasses is pretty vast.

To put that into perspective, DFW is over twice the size of Rhode Island.

As they say, everything is bigger here in Texas.

So yeah, a six-month lease on an apartment while you get to know the area might not be such a bad idea, because there's no way you'll get a good feel for where you want to live in a weekend. Heck, I've lived in DFW for 28 years and there are still huge chunks of it that I've never seen.
    Iain

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    That may not be such a bad idea.
    I second that idea. It will give you a chance to check things out for yourself, speak with co-workers about where they live - along with their likes and dislikes. You can also find out what kind of commute they have to deal with! Keep us posted Titus and best of luck!

In case it works differently where you're from...

The "apartment finders" you'll see located in just about every strip mall in the area just about pay you for the privelege of finding an apartment for you, as they are paid completely by the apartment companies.

There's also no commitment to take anything they find for you. Pretty much the opposite of the way things worked in North Carolina... Dunno how they work in Cali.

For Apartments and working downtown, you might try the Uptown Area near Mckinney Ave. Lots of young singles. Rentals have been a little slow, so they are cutting deals. The women are easy on the eyes, too! (assuming you are a guy)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast