Thread: PCA DE May 15-16

Default PCA DE May 15-16

I got this from the PCA mailing list:

Subject: Space available in the May 15-16 Driver Education Event at
    Motorsports Ranch sponsored by Hill Country Region PCA

Dear Maverick Region PCA Members:

The weekend of May 15-16 our friends at Hill Country Region - PCA (the
    Austin Region), will sponsor a Driver Education event at Motorsport Ranch in
    Cresson. There is still some space available in the green (novice) run
    group, as well as the white (advanced) run group. This is a tremendous
    opportunity for Mavericks to participate in a local area PCA Driver Ed
    event. You can register and pay online at the Hill Country Region website
    hcrpca.org. If you have any questions contact David Gross at
    [email protected]

I am planning on attending this event in the Miata and I am awaiting word about the broomstick rule. It sounds as though they don't require it in the green group.

For those of you that don't know it is 8 20-25 minute sessions over two days. You will have an instructor for the entire time showing you the proper line, so it would be a good way to get seat time at MSR.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

What is PCA's website?

Any idea on cost? That's my B-Day weekend. I might need to treat myself. :)
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Default Re: PCA DE May 15-16

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M
    You can register and pay online at the Hill Country Region website.
    hcrpca.org. If you have any questions contact David Gross at
    [email protected]
    I believe cost is $200 for members and $250 for non-members, but you can check the website.

Yikes! The average prices seem high after you just paid for a full day for $75! I know it's about the going rate for a two-day track event though.

I need to become a PCA Member. Anyone got a 914 shell sitting around with a good VIN?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by droptop
    Yikes! The average prices seem high after you just paid for a full day for $75! I know it's about the going rate for a two-day track event though.
    Don't forget PCA gets you a full time instructor!

Don't forget that we got a good deal because we did it on a weekday so the price was less. The price seems reasonable to me seeing as how we paid $100 in October for just a few hours on a Saturday.

I'm still waiting for clarification on the broom stick test.

Update:

I got this email from the HRPCA:

Hi Justin,
    The concensus is that neither Maverick Region nor Hill Country Region
    has ever "broomsticked" anybody. If your car has a roll bar (which you
    say it does) we're not going to broomstick you. Feel free to go ahead
    and register. If for any reason this changes and your car doesn't
    qualify you have my word that HCR will refund you your registration fee.

Does that make you more comfortable?

Thanks!
    David

Long story short I registered and paid so I'm going. Any other local Miata pilots up for two days of track time?

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

This is why I am not in tech inspection.

F****96M's lawyer would call my broomstick test assault :P
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

So did you go Flyin96M??

How was it!

My weekend was awesome! I logged over 150 miles on the track! The new intercooler worked great and I had no problems except my brakes would fade so I couldn't go to deep in the corners. Man I can't stop thinking about it. The best part was passing Porsches, and I didn't get passed once all weekend! People either thought it was cool or they hated it and wouldn't give me a passing signal unless I rode their bumper for a lap or two. I had one guy come up and tell me he wanted to know how a Miata could pass him. I showed him under the hood and after that he really tried to outrun me but I was still faster in the corners and straights. I really can't believe how well these little cars handle.

I had a great instructor who drives a spec Miata, so I finally got someone to show me the momentum line. He taught me the "company" line and once I had that he said now let me show you the miata line. Big difference! I can’t even begin to believe how much I learned this past weekend! I improved in so many different areas it is hard to believe! It is really amazing what a good instructor can do for you.

Day one was kinda slow since the first session was more of a parade lap, and the second was like driving in a train. Passing signals were few and far between. Things speed up a bit for the last two sessions but there was still a lot of traffic. Raj said he felt like I should be in Blue and would see what he could do, but he said that he had a student in Blue that was not ready to solo yet so if I did move I would lose him as my instructor. Anyway long story short I talked to the right people and got my check out ride, but stayed in Green for the rest of the event so I could keep him as my instructor. Plus Blue was really full and there were only 12 cars in green now and they put me on track first now so I just played in Green. It gave me a chance to lap the guy in the BoxterS that was such a pain in the ass a few more times Anyway I will be in blue for my next event so goal accomplished. I still need to work on looking for the flag stations and seeing as how I didn't get a chance to practice my passing signals I may need to work on those as well

On Saturday Raj, my instructor, asked if he could take my car out into the red group because he and the other instructors wanted to see what it could do. We only did half a session because he is so tall that the wheel would rub his legs. On Sunday he took me for a ride in his spec and man was that an eye opener!
    I felt like what I had been driving were parade laps.

So the weather was great and it was really cool to see all those Porsche's in one place being put through the paces. Anyway I had a great time and I even made a few new friends. By far worth the price of admission!