Thread: Autoweek on the 2006 Miata

Default Autoweek on the 2006 Miata

Check out this article in Autoweek on the 2006 Miata. Nothing but nice things to say about the car, from a group that (1) really understands automobiles, and (2) always finds fault with a car (they all have them... ). And for those of you still struggling to understand the Miata and it's real purpose in life (ie Mr. Tool and others), and lament the fact that a Miata is no Mustang , I invite you to read and digest paragraphs 10 and 11 of that article: The one that begins "The joy of driving a Miata...". You still won't get it, because you judge a car solely on it's 0-to-whatever time, but the professionals at Autoweek certainly grasp what the Miata ...ah,er,um MX-5... is all about.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Nice Article....
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

It all sounds so great, but it felt very claustrophobic to me, something a Miata has never been. The high shoulder line of the doors, and the complete enclosure behind and between the seats just loses much of the open air feel of current Miatas. Perhaps it won't feel so bad once I get one out on the open road, or the track......
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

The sound is good, the looks aren't that great and for track use, it will have to be only a track car/sunny day car until someone comes up with a very inventive roll bar.

Im sticking with buying a 2005 NB of some variety for the next one, hoping they refine the NC styling in a few years.

I'm just thankful they don't offer the NC in yellow or Mazda would already have our down payment!

In that picture it looks like it has a lift kit on it. The front looks very high.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I'm just thankful they don't offer the NC in yellow or Mazda would already have our down payment!
    I'd be shopping for a house with a 3 car garage!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    It all sounds so great, but it felt very claustrophobic to me, something a Miata has never been. The high shoulder line of the doors, and the complete enclosure behind and between the seats just loses much of the open air feel of current Miatas. Perhaps it won't feel so bad once I get one out on the open road, or the track......
    It looks a bit claustrophobic to me as well. One of the [very, very few] things I don't like about the S2000 is the high[er] shoulder line. Every time I sit in one, I get the feeling of sitting low in a bathtub. The 2006 MX-5 seems to have a similar feel to it.

And Mazda is at it again with very strange equipment combinations for their various "packages". They have 5 levels for the MX-5:
    • Club Spec
    • MX-5 (Base)
    • Touring
    • Sport
    • Grand Touring
    In order to get a front strut/suspension tower brace, you have to get a Sport or Grand Touring. But those both have 6-speed trannys and 17" bling-blings... ah,er,um... wheels. And while all models come with ABS ( ), if I'm reading the Spec/Options sheet correctly, limited slip is only offered as an option on the Sport and Grand Touring models (:mad: ).

So once again, you can't really get the "perfect" model for the true enthusist, which for me would be a Touring Model with Suspension Package (which isn't available on the Touring Model) and a leather delete (I just want tan/brown cloth seats). Just enough "creature comforts" to make the car quite useful as a daily driver, but all the suspension and drivetrain bits that would make it good as an autocrosser.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Soon enough they will realize their mistake of not offering one... and then you'll be lamenting your new car payments!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    In that picture it looks like it has a lift kit on it. The front looks very high.
    It is........but then, look at the last several years. The bigger the wheels, the higher the body sits, even though the tires are a lower profile. Go figure..... The 93 LE was the lowest of them all, followed by the 94 'R", then they got higher and higher. They may ride better, but look bad and don't handle as well
    Last edited by MadMerv; 07-25-2005 at 01:47 PM.
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

That looks very nice I love it wish i had the money..

Default R&T's turn...

OK, now Road & Track has looked at the 2006 MX5, and they did their usual wonderfully detailed job (quoting 160hp, and wondering if Mazda will offer a sport suspension package) . Still, they didn't really have anything but nice things to say about the NC...

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    17" bling-blings... ah,er,um... wheels.
    Watch it.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Tool
    That looks very nice I love it wish i had the money..
    I just wish you had fully functional punctuation keys.

Jeez, you're like a guy who never uses his turn signal.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel

S.
    Good luck, sriv - we've already told Tool that he types like a five-year old, but he's not listening.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Road & Track
    Overall length, which has remained unchanged since 1989, has grown a negligible 0.8 in. and width has increased by 1.6 in. but overhangs are shorter despite a 2.6-in. increase in wheelbase.
    It's not black magic, the author is really bad at math. I'd guess the overhangs have decreased 1.8" in total. Sheesh!

S.
    You dont need no stinkin punctuation if you jus use a bunch of ANDs and make one huge run on sentence AND for what its worth he is five years old AND sits in a big rocking chair AND his name is Edith Anne AND see it works AND Im so glad it is Friday cause it is too perty outside to be in this windowless place of employment BUT Im drivin the four door so no top down for me today AND Im out of breath typing this long sentence

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

S.
    I don't use my turn signal as often as I should. I am getting better.

I normally do a good job with punctuation. I've even read Eats, Shoots and Leaves

I think you hurt my feelers and I can't find the ROTFLOL smiley

Tool -- can't you take a hint?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Nice article, that's why Auto Week is one of the few mags I still read. MT and R&T are such knuckle heads and can never test the cars properly cause they are horrible drivers!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...