Thread: Top Window Replacement on '96 Red/Tan

Default Top Window Replacement on '96 Red/Tan

Everyone:

A while back my girlfriend folded the top down without unzipping the window and, well, it was pretty old anyway. It's now got a big crack in it. I've wanted to replace the top with something prettier -- like the Robbins cloth with a glass window -- but I just don't know if it's worth that kind of money. Either way, though, it's time to do something about it.

So I have a couple of questions for everyone:

1) Do you think it's worth trying to just replace the window?

2) If so, what kind of options are there? I've seen plenty of ads for items, but I'm really interested in your personal experience with them. I'm guessing that the window install will have to be done at an interior shop -- someone with an industrial sewing machine. What would that cost, and who does that locally?

3) What do you all think about the Robbins cloth tops? Are they worth the premium?

4) Lastly, if I was to go with the full top install, can I do it myself?

Chuck

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

You might see if you can find a used M2 top on the frame. Installation is easy and you'll get an upgraded frame/top with a glass window.

My window was replaced by a small town upholstery shop for $75 parts and labor. I don't know HOW it was done, as it was arranged by the dealer and completed before I ever got the car, but the hick town salesman mentioned it to me several times and even pulled out the receipt. He said he wanted me to know how much they had tied up in this fine Auto-Mobile. $75. Wow. I'm impressed.

EDIT: It is the original top that is now 13 years old and the window replacement was 4 years ago.

{bump}

I'm really looking for any experience/advice out there. I'm going to make a decision and do something about this sometime this month.

I've heard of glass replacement windows. Has anyone heard about/seen any of them?

Chuck

The rear window on the POS was replaced by the previous owner with a glass rear window. The top is still the original one Yoshsi bolted in in Hiroshima.

It's a zip out glass window, works exactly like the old plastic window did, I like it a lot!

If the top is still good, I'd just replace the rear window, and with the money saved you could take the girlfriend somewhere nice!

Chassis Designer

My whole top was completely trash in my '90, plastic window torn and hanging, holes all in the top fabric. I ordered a new top from these guys: http://www.convertibletopguys.com/cg...at.cgi?cat=652 . Got the Top 1 with zip-down non-heated window.. I like it a lot and installation wasnt hard at all I did the whole job start to finish by myself in my driveway in a few hours..
    1990 Red Turbo, Granbury TX..