Thread: A/C noise

Default A/C noise

Hi. I now have a 2003 Shinsen Version. I noticed that when I am running the AC, the engine sounds somewhat like a diesel engine. Monday, I took it to North Park Mazda in San Antonio to be looked at. They told me that it is normal. A Miata sounding like a diesel normal?? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Virginia
    My Paws

That is your throwout bearing. Unfortunatley it is normal. Mine does it so loud that I turn the ac off at drive throughs, because of the sound.

My 93' has done that for the last 4 summers, still cools me down though. Mine really isn't too loud though.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    My AC doesn't make any noise at all.

Sure it does - at speed the wind whistles through the holes in your floorboard.

Lil' Red, mine does the exact same thing. Has for years. It's normal.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Im probably missing it, I never noticed it and just went and ran mine around with the AC on listening. Couldnt hear anything but fans and maybe compressor. Not any discernable noise to classify as a diesel noise.

Go through a drive-through with the a/c on 3 or 4, and let the clutch completely out in neutral. Then you'll understand what we're talking about.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Ok, now with frosty in hand :-D , I did the very process described. Still no noise I would describe as diesel-like. My wifes Protege5 can make some diesel-like noises with some of the valve noises and the like. I also am deaf in her opinion. Maybe my fans are a bit loud. Oh well, I needed an excuse to go get the frosty.

I've never had that noise in my miata. When the throw out bearing started going bad it would a rattling noise when you pushed the clutch in.

With the M3, it makes diesel noises when you are idling with the clutch out and more so with the AC on, but that's because of the lightweight flywheel I installed.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

North Park is telling me that is due to synthetic transmission fluid . They are claiming that the noise was not coming from the engine, but from the transmission. They changed the fluid and put regular fluid back in and said the noise has gone away. In addition, they are telling me that the (clank, clank, clank) on the passenger side (when I am under load or hit a bump just so) is also being caused by the synthetic transmission fluid. We will see. I pick the Grey Ghost up today.
    My Paws

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Lil' Red
    North Park is telling me that is due to synthetic transmission fluid

What he said, Im running synthetic as are most here. Something is fishy.

Sheep are getting cold.

(You just got fleeced)
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

North Park is telling me that is due to synthetic transmission fluid . They are claiming that the noise was not coming from the engine, but from the transmission. They changed the fluid and put regular fluid back in and said the noise has gone away. In addition, they are telling me that the (clank, clank, clank) on the passenger side (when I am under load or hit a bump just so) is also being caused by the synthetic transmission fluid. We will see. I pick the Grey Ghost up today.
    Horsesh!t. I'd steer clear of that dealer in the future - sounds like they they wouldn't know which end of a ratchet is the handle.
    Iain

The throwout bearing is in the bellhousing, which is connected to the tranny. Yes they are right that the noise wasnt coming from the engine. However, the tranny fluid had little to do with it.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Horsesh!t. I'd steer clear of that dealer in the future - sounds like they they wouldn't know which end of a ratchet is the handle.
    I second that! Perhaps you're due for a nice ride up to the DFW area and have a tech day with us!

North Park is telling me that is due to synthetic transmission fluid .
    It's good to know Mazda Dealers outside of the Metroplex suck also, misery loves company!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    It's good to know Mazda Dealers outside of the Metroplex suck also, misery loves company!
    Dealers, it seems, in general.

I have picked her up today and so far, I have not heard any unusual sounds. Either from the engine/tranny or the clanking under the passenger side. All I can do at this point is keep driving her and see what happens. I fully believe that I have not been told the full truth. Most of this just makes no sense . I just cannot figure out how synthetic transmission can cause the engine/tranny to sound like a diesel engine with the AC on or the clanking under the passenger side when under load or hitting a bump. Maybe I should just be happy that the noises appear to be gone. This being said, I think I need to make arrangements to get up there for the next tech day.

Thanks for all of your comments. More are welcome. I seem to learn more about my car everyday.

Virginia
    My Paws

I have picked her up today and so far, I have not heard any unusual sounds. Either from the engine/tranny or the clanking under the passenger side. All I can do at this point is keep driving her and see what happens. I fully believe that I have not been told the full truth. Most of this just makes no sense . I just cannot figure out how synthetic transmission can cause the engine/tranny to sound like a diesel engine with the AC on or the clanking under the passenger side when under load or hitting a bump. Maybe I should just be happy that the noises appear to be gone. This being said, I think I need to make arrangements to get up there for the next tech day.

Thanks for all of your comments. More are welcome. I seem to learn more about my car everyday.

Virginia
    I'm glad to hear everything is working well so far!