Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CARMAX to Ditch a Car?

Question CARMAX to Ditch a Car?

I got a letter today from Ford Motor credit reminding me that my 2003 Expedition is due back in November (Red Carpet Lease), well I would rather not wait until November to ditch this thing. So I was thinking about trying CARMAX and seeing what they would give for the thing, so maybe I could get out of it a bit earlier than planned. If I can walk away even that works for me!

I did a Kelley Blue Book check on it and it looks like average trade-in value and the residual may actually be close. I’m assuming CARMAX pays near trade-in is that a correct assumption?

So has anybody ever used CARMAX to get rid of a car?

TIA

From what I have heard, Carmax gives you close to Trade in Value when you sell it to them. I think they give you a free quote that is good for 300 miles. Worth a try IMO.
    No more Miata

You've got nothing to lose but an hour or so of your time to find out.

My onlt experience with CarMaz has been with older specialty cars (lugnutjon's '93 3000GT and my '93 RX-7), and in both cases their offer wasn't anywhere near even wholesale, let alone retail value on the car. For instance, they offered me $7500 for my FD - I sold it a week later for $13,500, and had a deposit wired to me less than 72 hours after I put it up for sale.

Still on a more common, newer vehicle (one they could feasibly sell of their lot easily, unlike the FD and the 3000GT), they might be willing to give you a more realistic figure.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

My one experience with them was awful. Four years ago I took my 99 GMC SLT AWD Suburban in to see what they would give me on trade for a Dodge Diesel PU. This Suburban was loaded to the gills, with me the original owner, and had only 55K miles at the time, and was spotless, never been damaged, red with black rub strip and fender flares, all factory stuff including leather, and a sticker of 41K when purchased in late 99. The bastards offered me 9500 bucks for it on trade for a 33K truck! The book value of my truck was nearly 19K at the time.
    I was so pissed I wanted to punch someone out. I haven't been back, and most likely never will... I kept the burb another 18 months, put another 15K miles on it, and still got 15K on trade for the Duramax Diesel... CarMax sucks in my opinion... :ncool:
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

In a last ditch effort to sell my integra a while back I took it to Carmax for an estimate, it was in great shape and didn't have any problems. They offered me $3K for it but I ended up selling it for $6k a couple of days later.

You'll be better off selling it yourself, but the market may be flooded with gas guzzlers like your expedition right now.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Used car prices are very depressed these days because of the glut caused by all the dealers offering "employee pricing". At least that's what they are going to tell you when they hand you their lowball offer.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52
    Used car prices are very depressed these days because of the glut caused by all the dealers offering "employee pricing". At least that's what they are going to tell you when they hand you their lowball offer.
    Let's also not forget the gas prices thing (as if you could forget that). There have been several news articles about used car dealers being swamped with SUV trade-ins from people moving to a smaller vehicle. Because of that, they aren't offering much for a large SUV at the moment.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Yeah, good luck unloading that thing with gas costing $2.69 across the street. Ford is contractually required to take it back from you in three months.

Maybe you'll have some luck, but worst case scenario is you have to hold onto it for 3 months, then turn it in to Ford. That's not so bad.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Yeah, good luck unloading that thing with gas costing $2.69 across the street. Ford is contractually required to take it back from you in three months.

Maybe you'll have some luck, but worst case scenario is you have to hold onto it for 3 months, then turn it in to Ford. That's not so bad.

S.
    Yea I know this is a common occurrence with me at about the 30th month of my 36 month lease I want whatever it is gone!

The 'spedition has been sitting in front of my house unloved for several weeks I've been driving the POS.....

Plus I am actually way under on the miles on this 'spedition which is a first for me! Figure I'll try Carmax next week just for giggles.

I appreciate everyone’s input!

The more important question, of course, is what are you going to replace the Expedition with?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    The more important question, of course, is what are you going to replace the Expedition with?
    Not 100% certain yet really haven't gone and looked at anything yet knowing I had to wait to get rid of my 'spedition........... Plus I still dislike the process of buying / leasing a car!

Although the guy at Autoflex who we got Sr's Honda Pilot from is a front runner for my business!

Let's see. You already have a "big car" in the Pilot. We all know you have a race car, too. What you need is something to tootle around town in. Something that's fun to drive, gets good gas mileage, is reliable, and makes you swell with pride of ownership.

Hmmm.... What kind of car would fit that description?

S.

I took my previous vehicle to Carmax just for the sake of an easy unload. Since they were nice enough to offer more than I owed, I got my original downpayment back out of it. Granted, the car was a far cry from a full-size SUV, but there you have it.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Let's see. You already have a "big car" in the Pilot. We all know you have a race car, too. What you need is something to tootle around town in. Something that's fun to drive, gets good gas mileage, is reliable, and makes you swell with pride of ownership.

Hmmm.... What kind of car would fit that description?

S.
    Pilot isn't mine, it's my dads! Don't forget the wife and kid so I need a backseat! I'd like something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Don't forget the wife and kid so I need a backseat! I'd like something like this:
    Nice... don't you still have your green caddy?
    No more Miata

Quote Originally Posted by jolberry
    Nice... don't you still have your green caddy?
    Yep still got the '67, you can never have tooo many Cadillacs or Miatas!

...you can never have tooo many Cadillacs
    Yep. Thats about what I would expect to hear from Sparky Babaganoush.

Pilot isn't mine, it's my dads! Don't forget the wife and kid so I need a backseat! I'd like something like this:
    Now that is riding in style!

Wanna buy a M3 sedan? You can tote the wifey and kids around town really fast.

Not only does it have backseat, but it's got 4 doors. 5-speed, silver.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast