Thread: Disabled 7-year old Ejected From Theater for Laughing at Penguins

Default Disabled 7-year old Ejected From Theater for Laughing at Penguins

Disabled 7-year-old ejected from theater

By Dave Richardson
    Times Herald-Record
    [email protected]

Town of Wallkill – If you're a 7-year-old kid with cerebral palsy and autism, you have to take your laughs anywhere you can get them.
    Just don't have too much fun at the local movie theater, or you might get thrown out.
    That's what happened to young Anthony Pratti this week. To say his parents are upset about it would be an understatement.
    Anthony, who uses a wheelchair, was with his parents, his sister and his grandmother at the Loews Cineplex theaters in the Galleria at Crystal Run Sunday, watching a 1:15 p.m. matinee of the G-rated film "March of the Penguins."
    The family sat in the wheelchair section provided by the theater. Anthony was having a good time, said his mom, Gina Pratti.
    "He was laughing, but he really wasn't much louder than any of the other kids," she said.
    About 15 minutes into the film, one of the theater's managers approached the family, she said.
    "He said our son was laughing too loud," Pratti said. "My husband told him Anthony didn't understand, that he was disabled, but that we'd try to quiet him down."
    Not good enough, apparently – the manager brusquely told the family that Anthony had to leave, Pratti said.
    Outraged, the family followed the manager to the lobby, where they were told they all didn't have to leave – just Anthony, Pratti said.
    Pratti was dumbfounded.
    "I said to him, what are we supposed to do, wheel him outside and leave him there?" she said.
    The manager refunded the family's ticket purchase and sent them on their way, she said.
    Pratti and her husband have spent the past three days making phone calls and sending e-mails, trying to get someone – anyone – from Loews to give them an explanation.
    "Not one person from Loews has called me back," Pratti said.
    When contacted by the Times Herald-Record yesterday, a representative of Loews corporate headquarters said the company is concerned by Pratti's story, and is looking into Sunday's events.
    The company says it will issue a statement today.
    Pratti has spoken with attorneys about the incident, but isn't sure she wants to pursue any legal action.
    Meanwhile, Pratti says she hopes Loews will do whatever it takes to make amends.
    "This was only the third movie Anthony had ever seen, and now we're afraid to go back because they might throw us out again," Pratti said.
    Explanations aside, Pratti has a simple message for the manager she says publicly humiliated her son:
    "Shame on you."

------------------------------

Indeed. :mad:

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Thanks for the link. Complaint submitted.

"He was laughing, but he really wasn't much louder than any of the other kids," she said..
    Not trying to be a hater but what do you expect his Mother to say.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Not trying to be a hater but what do you expect his Mother to say.
    Perhaps, but there are some things that, out of respect for our shared humanity, you just let slide. This is one of those things. The manager is a troll.

S.

Perhaps, but there are some things that, out of respect for our shared humanity, you just let slide. This is one of those things. The manager is a troll.

S.
    That your assumption based on only 1/2 of the story since the folks at Loews have yet to say anything. There are always 2 sides to every story, makes you wonder if someone complained to the manager or maybe the kid got a bit louder than the family recalled.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    That your assumption based on only 1/2 of the story since the folks at Loews have yet to say anything. There are always 2 sides to every story, makes you wonder if someone complained to the manager or maybe the kid got a bit louder than the family recalled.
    I have to agree... I'd like to hear Loews side of things.

While I do understand needing to give a lot of leeway to the disabled in this case, it's also not a license to totally disrupt the movie.

As soon as someone sees a Loews press release, post the link...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I entered a complaint on there "contact us" page and said that I was very interested to hear there response, but that the side of the story seen represented by the press was upsetting. The automated email response I got said "Thank you for taking the time to voice your concern. Your can expect to receive a personalized response very soon. Our email system is monitored during regular business hours: Monday - Friday from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm." I will post a thed reply if and when I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Original Article
    ...the G-rated film "March of the Penguins."
    <sarcasm>C'mon! Who wouldn't expect a quiet day at the G-Rated day movie?</sarcasm>

C

http://www.autism-society.com/

http://www.autismawareness.com

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Dave and POS, you've struck a cord. PM me your phone number and I'll be happy to educate you on what you're ignorant in knowing. I've had the privilege to work with kids and adults like with this disability for almost ten years. It's people not being understanding and having exposure to this population (which is growing everyday) which creates the barrier to develop tolerance.

Don't get me started on Cerebral Palsy, it's just as misunderstood.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Hold on a minute Sharpie, all I'm asking for is the full story, don't start labeling me.

If I offended you I apologize but there are two sides to every story. I'd just like to know both sides.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 08-18-2005 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Added more words!

More Information on the story.
    Loews corporate office has apologized to Pratti for what happened to Anthony, and says it's taking steps to ensure it won't happen again.
    "We may not have exercised the best sensitivity in handling this situation," said John McCauley, senior vice president of marketing for Loews Cineplex Entertainment.
    So the theater was out of line, I was curious if a patron had asked management to do something or if the manager just made a bad decision, looks like it was a just a bad decision on the part of the Loews employee.

Several years back my wife and daughter were booted out of a theater because my daughter was being too loud. She was talking during the G rated movie and irked someone in the theater enough they went to the manager and asked for my wife and kid to be removed, and they were promptly removed.

I bet some degenerate person was upset that the kid was having a good time and went wailing to the theater manager.

The better move would have been to give that jerk his money back and send him on his way versus throwing out the kid and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    Dave and POS, you've struck a cord.
    Like POS said, I don't mean to offend, and if I have, I apologise. I just want all the facts.

You also make the (bad) assumption that I've never worked with people with disabilities. I do understand what's involved in raising an autistic child and how the general population treats you.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I apologize too then Dave. I'd enjoy talking with you about your experiences sometime.

I've taken kids to the movies for the first time, it's a very stressful for a teacher or a parent and the insensitivity of the world upsets me at times. That's why we have the Americans with Disabilities Act.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    I apologize too then Dave. I'd enjoy talking with you about your experiences sometime.
    Not a problem...

Since we're in to posting links...

http://www.equest.org/

This is a group I'd like to get more involved with... they really do good work...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

There are several of those in the area. Great therapy. One of my students uses Spirit Horse and really enjoys it.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I bet some degenerate person was upset that the kid was having a good time and went wailing to the theater manager.

The better move would have been to give that jerk his money back and send him on his way versus throwing out the kid and his family.

C

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I entered a complaint on there "contact us" page and said that I was very interested to hear there response, but that the side of the story seen represented by the press was upsetting. The automated email response I got said "Thank you for taking the time to voice your concern. Your can expect to receive a personalized response very soon. Our email system is monitored during regular business hours: Monday - Friday from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm." I will post a thed reply if and when I get it.
    Well it looks like Loews and I have a different idea what "very soon" means. I would think that very soon would fall somewhere inside of eight days, but I guess I was wrong.