Thread: Time Trials!

Default Time Trials!

I'm amazed that I hadn't found out about this already, but I found out today that NASA Texas offers a Time Trial program!

Time Trials are a cross between autocrossing and DE events - competitors are on the track at the same time, much like a DE-style format, with passing only allowed in certain areas (i.e., no banging fenders for position). However, all cars are fitted with transponders, and there is timed competition against the clock, with different classes based on car and modifications. Entrants will get a similar amount of track time as HPDE drivers (typically 3 or 4 20-minute sessions per day), but the only difference is the competition angle.

Their last event of the '05 season is November 5-6 at Motorsports Ranch. I'm going to try to make this, either driving my own car, or co-driving Billy's Honda Challenge Prelude. Anyone else interested in some high-speed, road course competition?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Anyone else interested in some high-speed, road course competition?
    No. Speed scares me...

Sounds like a TON of fun. I suppose you have to join NASA to participate, and I'm guessing the event will cost a little more than a day of autocrossing , but I'd like to give it a try.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Edmond, OK - right on the way to Hallett!

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Anyone else interested in some high-speed, road course competition?
    I would LOVE this, sounds like a perfect driving event! I wonder if I can get my beater track-ready by then?
    If you are not living on the edge ...
    you're taking up too much space!

Sounds like tons of fun, will probably have to try is some day.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Well, shiat must have a roll bar in a convertible to participate. I only have a style bar. Should've bought the roll bar instead of the low pro lights.

*Wait a tic, my other car has a 6 point cage in it! Damn it's been a long day.

Oh well, Hallet's HPT is cheap and plenty fun...
    Last edited by icepenguin66; 08-24-2005 at 02:50 PM.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Hey, I looked over the links a bit and didn't see anything about the costs. Wondering how much money to join the time trials events. Anyone know?
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    Hey, I looked over the links a bit and didn't see anything about the costs. Wondering how much money to join the time trials events. Anyone know?
    Cost is $275 for time trials, $200 for HPDE 1/2/3/4. It's listed on the event entry form.

So Iain, are you for sure going to drive the car for a day at MSR (or both days)? Turns out if you do a 1 day, it has to be Saturday. Anyway, let me know your plans so I can plan accordingly. I should have enough tires to last both days, and I should have my license by then, so we'd be in completely different run groups.
    Billy
    98 Prelude - track car
    Former 99 Miata owner

Quote Originally Posted by 71dsp
    Cost is $275 for time trials, $200 for HPDE 1/2/3/4. It's listed on the event entry form.
    Holy crap! Do I get a massage with that? I'll stick to going to Hallet for $75 for all day.