Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage Door Openers...

Default Garage Door Openers...

As for garage door openers... what's a better drive system: screw, cable, or chain drive?

Our opener went kaput last night and I need to replace it ASAP. I'm just wondering on folks opinions/experiences with different drives.

Thanks.

Having had both screw and chain, I like the screw opener the best. It opens faster and it's a lot quiter.
    No more Miata

oh yeah, and I have a "Genie" brand opener. Great customer service. they have a help line if you have any trouble.
    No more Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    As for garage door openers... what's a better drive system: screw, cable, or chain drive?

Our opener went kaput last night and I need to replace it ASAP. I'm just wondering on folks opinions/experiences with different drives.

Thanks.
    ANOTHER garage door issue??? What are you doing in that garage Bean????

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    ANOTHER garage door issue??? What are you doing in that garage Bean????
    Well, last time it was the garage door itself that was replaced with a nice, new insulated, top-notch door! I knew then that the 10 year old, chain drive Craftsman opener was on it's last legs but I wanted to see how far I'd get. Well, now I know!

By the way, this is what I was looking at at Home Depot -

Genie Screw Drive

Ooopp... link not working. But search Home Depot site for Genie.

By the way, this is what I was looking at at Home Depot
    Yep that's the one we have.
    No more Miata

I stuck one of those in mine. Very quiet. Now I can hear my dinged and bent door creak and pop quite clearly.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Well, they've got this new Excelarator series... it's not screw or chain. I think it's some sort of cable. It's supposed to be twice as fast and just as quite as a screw drive. Anyone have experience with this type?

Well, they've got this new Excelarator series... it's not screw or chain. I think it's some sort of cable. It's supposed to be twice as fast and just as quite as a screw drive. Anyone have experience with this type?
    I have the Exclerator (sorry... too lazy to click the link, and assumed that's the one you picked). It came with 3 openers (one miniature) + a keypad. It is a screw drive, and it does open twice as fast as a standard. Closes at normal speed. My neighbors are jealous.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

And soon so will mine...

Did you have it installed or did you do it yourself?
    It's easy install it yourself! Heck since you already have one up it should be even easier!

And soon so will mine...

Did you have it installed or did you do it yourself?
    Three guesses, and the first 2 don't count...

I had to do some minor fabrication since the header bracket on the original was a "home builder's special," but it took less than an hour to have a working opener. The "safety" features are still mounted Track Dog Racing style on the back of the motor.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    It's easy install it yourself! Heck since you already have one up it should be even easier!
    Tech Day @ 3Bean's garage If we make his work, I might put one in the shop...
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I thought everything was brand new and shiny and under warranty up there in Collin County?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    I thought everything was brand new and shiny and under warranty up there in Collin County?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    I wish... my house is just a touch over ten years old. Not new... but new enough... but not new enough for a garage door or opener or water heater or fence to decide to die off.

C'est la vie.

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Tech Day @ 3Bean's garage If we make his work, I might put one in the shop...
    I'll host one... and even pony up for lunch and refreshments!

w00t!

c

Catering to be provided by Papa Johns of Frisco, where we can meet all of your pizza needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Catering to be provided by Papa Johns of Frisco, where we can meet all of your pizza needs!
    Nah... Papa John's stinks... I'm thinking Campisi's!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast