Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car & Driver: Solstice Wins Round One

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    I thought the Mazda NC club sport race car show car had rear braces that could work with the soft top? At least there looks to me some space to work with on the NC, where as the Solstice has none!
    Titus started a post on Rollbar thoughts for the NC and the Solstice . :cool:

Good points all, except that I just woke up with a bump on my head from where I fainted and fell to the floor after reading that altiain is even contemplating the possibility that he'd purchase a Solstice...

Seriously, I think GM has closed the gap considerably, and seem to have winners on their hands with the Solstice and Sky. And they'll sell more of them, simply because they'll produce more and push them through their system. But in reading that Car & Driver article, I couldn't help thinking most of the "Advantage: Solstice" items will be easy to fix on the NC. You know the aftermarket folks will give us stiffer springs and shocks to sort out the softer ride. Wider wheels and rubber will be available to improve grip. Aftermarket exhausts will give the engine more of a growl.

On the other hand, things like interior fit-n-finish, and top operation are much harder to "fix" for the Solstice. I think when all is said and done -- and folks like us tweak the NC a little -- the NC will be a much clearer winner.

Still, I agree with altiain that [based on options and their packaging] Mazda seems to have catered more to the "wine-n-cheesers" than us "cone-n-coursers". We shouldn't have to "tweak" an MX5 to make it a great little sports car (I'd call the stuff we do to our NA's and NB's slight enhancements and personalizations, more than needed tweaks). That's very dissappointing considering Mazda's racing heritage and their "Zoom-Zoom" advertising.

But we are just going to have to wait and see. I still believe the NC will be the better car of the three, but now Mazda will have some real competition... at that's a very good thing!
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    On the other hand, things like interior fit-n-finish, and top operation are much harder to "fix" for the Solstice. I think when all is said and done -- and folks like us tweak the NC a little -- the NC will be a much clearer winner.
    I'd hold mine tounge til the Solstice comes out. I am thoroughly impressed with the imporvements in interior quality and build quality of GM vehicles in the past 2 years. The NC may still have better build/interior quality but I don't think it will be so much better that it is more than a trivial factor for the ultra anal obessives.

Still, I agree with altiain that [based on options and their packaging] Mazda seems to have catered more to the "wine-n-cheesers" than us "cone-n-coursers". We shouldn't have to "tweak" an MX5 to make it a great little sports car (I'd call the stuff we do to our NA's and NB's slight enhancements and personalizations, more than needed tweaks). That's very dissappointing considering Mazda's racing heritage and their "Zoom-Zoom" advertising.
    I wouldn't be so down on the NC yet, till we get it on the track for real. The base suspension model I drove felt quite stiff and nice IMO. I actually think it may be too stiff for mainstream target buyers like my mother.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12