Thread: does anyone know what this noise might be?

Default does anyone know what this noise might be?

Wife brought the car home yesterday and now its making a "shoo shoo shoo" noise in the front area of the engine more noticible around the alternator area.
    Belts are ok it increases pace when its reved up, seems to be making a "shoo" noise per revolution of something.

I know this sounds crazy and you guys most likely will not be able to know what the hell I am talking about without listening to this yourself, but I figure it costs nothing to ask.....I am bound to get lucky one day.

So if nobody knows, would someone be willing to take a listen / look for a nominal fee?

Thanks in advance.
    Wife is banned from car.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    Wife is banned from car.
    Yea I'm sure she messed up the car just to piss you off.....

Could it be one of the covers over the timing belt rubbing on a pulley?

Just went to check that POS and now its not making the noise, your good luck!

It did it 3 times in a row this morning but nothing now so maybe its just a freak thing, I am not so much worried about it now....since it quit it must have been some little something rubbing.

Thanks.
    99 Miata Black

Dang Billy... I don't think I have ever seen so many different issues from a car the age of yours. Perhaps you were not meant to have a Miata.

Talking

Just went to check that POS and now its not making the noise, your good luck!
    Honestly I really didn't care one way or the other!

Wife is banned from car.
    It did it 3 times in a row this morning but nothing now so maybe its just a freak thing...
    Maybe you should go ahead and ban yourself from the car as well, just to be on the safe side.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Nothing against the missus, but have you noticed when she brings it home it makes some new sort of noise?

See, the tough part about that is that if you get pissed when she comes to tell you the car's broken (since she happened to be the one in it when it broke), the next time she'll just not tell you.

Of course, I wouldn't know anything about that.

C

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Nothing against the missus, but have you noticed when she brings it home it makes some new sort of noise?
    Funny though... every time I come home my missus says I'm making new noises!

Wife brought the car home yesterday and now its making a "shoo shoo shoo" noise in the front area of the engine more noticible around the alternator area.
    Belts are ok it increases pace when its reved up, seems to be making a "shoo" noise per revolution of something.
    I'd still bet on belt noise. Next time it makes that shoo-shoo sound, try squirting some liquid on the side of the belt and notice how the sound goes away. A little rub with a bar of soap will make the same temporary change. The only perma-fix will be a new belt.

Well the belts are about 3K old.
    She didn't tell me of the noise I discovered it.
    its just probably some little something I have not found yet, but the belts are a good tension, I am still about 13K away from my scheduled first timing belt change.
    I appreciate the help, BTW I will be needing help with that timing belt when the time comes...hint hint.

POS, I know you wanna be my best friend but it would never work out....you are far too nice for me...LOL

Thanks guys, I will keep ya posted if anything else happens with it.
    99 Miata Black

Here's an old mechanic's trick:

You can always take a VERY long screwdriver & put the end against what you think may be making the noise and put the handle up against your ear to hear the sound transmitted up... Move it around to different things to see what is making the loudest sound...

Just DO NOT put it on anything that MOVES! hehehehe or comes to mind if you do.

If you have a pulley then put it on the non-spinning bolt in the middle or on the mounting bracket for example... then you can hear if that bearing is making the noise.

They also make automotive stethoscopes to do the same thing, but a long screwdriver is TCB approved since you probably already have it in the tool box.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Tried that this morning and everything seemed to sound the same but I have to admit it wasn't a real intensive search. I think I will try that again once it cools down a little this evening.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Here's an old mechanic's trick:

You can always take a VERY long screwdriver & put the end against what you think may be making the noise and put the handle up against your ear to hear the sound transmitted up... Move it around to different things to see what is making the loudest sound...

Just DO NOT put it on anything that MOVES! hehehehe or comes to mind if you do.

If you have a pulley then put it on the non-spinning bolt in the middle or on the mounting bracket for example... then you can hear if that bearing is making the noise.

They also make automotive stethoscopes to do the same thing, but a long screwdriver is TCB approved since you probably already have it in the tool box.

RJ
    12 inches of vacuum hose works well too.

Are we talking AOL inches?
    99 Miata Black

Wife is banned from car.
    "Don't Do That"
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

just Turn Up The Radio!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Thats funny Merv, everytime I get int the car after Katt gets home the Radio is blasting (as much as a factory Bose can) maybe she does hear something...lol

I have not heard the sound again, just another one of those freaky sounds my Ghost car makes I guess.

I dont think I will ever get rid of this particular car, I really like it.
    I might buy another NB or even an NA in the future though.
    also wanted to say thanks again Merv for the hospitality at the swap meet, you guys are good people.
    99 Miata Black