Thread: What do ya think of this roll cage?

Default What do ya think of this roll cage?

I'm looking at the Kirk Racing weld-in cage...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Racing
    The Prefit Weld in Miata Cage includes the main loop with a diagonal and horizontal brace, two rear legs and a forward section that runs across the roof line with a windshield bar and one door bar on each side. This cage can be customized using the options listed in the Roll Cage Options section to make an excellent SPEC Miata cage.
    The price is $610 for the basic cage... plus options.

They offer a lot of different options for it here and I was thinking about getting the kit with the Video Camera Mount, Dash Bar, Additional Weld-in Door Bar, Petty Bar, and 8-point Weld-in Conversion Kit. I may also get the seat brace if the seat I order requires it.

I'll probably make the Petty Bar removable so I can have occasionally put in a passenger side seat for the kiddo to ride - but not race - in.

What are your thoughts on this? I have a good friend that is an excellent welder, so I'm not worried about the installation of the kit... It's not a bolt-in so I won't have to worry about constantly checking for loose bolts... and I'm not going the NASCAR door bar route as I want to be able to use the windows since I don't have a dedicated garage space or covered parking.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Whats the drivers side door protection look like? That would be my first concern.

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    ...and I'm not going the NASCAR door bar route as I want to be able to use the windows since I don't have a dedicated garage space or covered parking.
    I'd lose the windows, get the NASCAR bar, and get some plexi drop in windows for storage and parking issues. That's your vulnerable side there...

Let me know if you would like to get in touch with my friend Mike. He builds cages for BMWCCA Club racers. He is planning on building a roll bar for me in the near future. I'm sure he'd love to make you a custom cage.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=396968

Here's an example of some of his work.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I'd lose the windows, get the NASCAR bar, and get some plexi drop in windows for storage and parking issues. That's your vulnerable side there...
    I'd second that. There is a site on the 'net somewhere that sells drop-in Plexi transport windows for Spec Miatas. I'd use those, and have Nascar bars for the driver's side.

But then again, I'd probably just have a custom cage welded in. Todd Opperman did the cage in Billy's Honda Challenge car (I think), and that thing is a work of art.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Is that inch and three-quarters tubing? It looks awfully big comapred to my inch and a half. I'm concerned about the drives side roof-line bars. The front corner looks to be at least two inches from the a-pillar, meaning not much helmet room either in front or on the side. Also, the rear down tubes must be at least thirty degrees off of the main hoop. I' not sure they are. They look like they don't even get to the front anchors of the rear subframe. That's gonna allow some significant flexing that mine doesn't. MIne are going back about forty-five degrees, monting almost twelve inches further back. All the bars on the passenger side (dual side rails and the petty bar) are all in the same plane, which is very strong in one direction, but vet week in the other. I'm crossing mine. THINK TRIANGULATION!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'