Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Me and My Radiator..

Default Me and My Radiator..

So I get out of the Exterra and head towards the house and happen to catch the Sun glittering on a pool of raditor fluid under the car, upon further investigation I notice its coming from the drain plug in the radiator.
    I "touched" the plastic bolt to see if it was loose and the head fell off onto the ground.

So now I have to try and get the rest of the Bolt out and find another Bolt that is the same thread # and size (I would like to get a Metal one this time).
    Does anyone know what size Bolt this is and where I might find one tomorrow? or even any suggestions on how to get the old Bolt the rest of the way out?
    I think I will most likely be able to get the bolt out, just dont know what size to replace it with.

I need to get this fixed by tomorrow as I have a Dr's apointment in the am and the wife needs to be to work at the same time (Monday).
    Any help is as always, greatly appreciated.
    99 Miata Black

Pretty Please?
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    Pretty Please?
    I dont know the size of the bolt, but I have a radiator with a small pinhole. It can be jb welded easily. Come pick it up, and you can have the drain bolt that comes with it. Let me know.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

So now I have to try and get the rest of the Bolt out and find another Bolt that is the same thread # and size (I would like to get a Metal one this time).
    Once you get the rest of the bolt out take it to Autozone. They can tell you what size it is/was and provide a replacement too.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I dont know the size of the bolt, but I have a radiator with a small pinhole. It can be jb welded easily. Come pick it up, and you can have the drain bolt that comes with it. Let me know.
    Is your old radiator a metal radiator like Billy has in his car now? Hate to see him drive all the way to Ft. Worth if they aren't the same.

I swiped this picture off of Billy's website.

The OEM plug that would be in a plastic radiator looks like this one, wonder if its the same as the aftermarket one???"

I've got an all metal radiator that I'm selling, but I'm not sure if it would fit your car.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

oh wow, I had just figured that was the OEM and for a second forgot that the guy I bought it from could have changed the radiator after the wreck.
    The drain plug that was / is still in mine looks like a plastic bolt, it could be a makeshift thing all together (the plastic bolt has a slot for a slotted screwdriver) or did anyway before it broke off, if this helps identify it.

Thanks guys.
    99 Miata Black

oh wow, I had just figured that was the OEM and for a second forgot that the guy I bought it from could have changed the radiator after the wreck.
    The drain plug that was / is still in mine looks like a plastic bolt, it could be a makeshift thing all together (the plastic bolt has a slot for a slotted screwdriver) or did anyway before it broke off, if this helps identify it.

Thanks guys.
    My OEM radiator had a plastic bolt that was slotted for use with a screwdriver, and it fit into the metal NA loaner from Kags as well. My new aluminum radiator has a different type bolt. I am not sure if this would be the same for NBs.

sounds like I got myself in a mess.
    OK anyone have any suggestions on how to seal up the Radiator hole with the idea that I will never drain it again?

I will seal it up with whatever bolt I can find and LB Weld or something, then replace this whole radiator when I can aford the PWR I was looking at earlier this year.
    99 Miata Black

You may not want to hear this but why don't you pull the radiator and take it the parts store; it would take a lot of the guesswork out on what you need if you had it with you.

If you have some old bolts ...try one of them and then go to Auto Zone and get a plug that thread size!
    Last edited by riverracer; 09-11-2005 at 11:25 AM.
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Yeah mine old radiator is an OEM, but like I said it is up for the taking. As far as the all metal one I replaced it with, IIRC it had a metal drain plug. I would be willing to guess a google search could bring up the thread pitch for an aftermarket radiator. They are probably pretty universal.

Well after a long struggle , and breaking several tools, and getting rained on I give up.

The car is parked, and will stay that way til I can either...

a) get the radiator out and find out how to get the damned plastic piece of crap bolt out of there and replace it with a metal one.
    or
    b) SAVE $500. and get the PRW, and be one step closer to getting ready for my Supercharger....next year.

Thanks POS! looks like thats the only way at this point, to take the whole thing out...I just dont have time to do that today so unfortunately the car will stay parked for a while.

If I do end up getting the PRW I will get the bolt out and a new one in and sell the radiator I have now, it currently has no leaks, except for the crappy plastic bolt.

Thanks as always for the suggestions.
    99 Miata Black

Why don't you go down to the Autozone and see what they have in stock. If they have 6 different ones that look like they might fit, buy them all and return the ones that don't fit.

Chassis Designer

He cant get the bolt out so that wouldnt help much
    1990 Red Turbo, Granbury TX..

OK, I took out the Radiator, took off the fans and disconnected everything...plugged up the radiator hoses with paper towels.
    I fought relentlessly until the plastic nemesis let loose and came out, I drilled, tapped, screwed and pliered...and cursed.

I dont think I damaged any of the threads, so now I just need to find a bolt that fits and some plumbers tape and a couple of gallons of 50/50 antifreeze....just in case. Flush all the plastic bolt bits out of the radiator and put everything back together....then cross my fingers and say a prayer.

One thing puzzles me though, I am pretty sure this is not the radiator that is supposed to be in this Car.
    There are two small tubes (Metal) coming out of the bottom of the Radiator that look like they might feed an automatic transmission (just a guess), at any rate they were not plugged up to anything, were not leaking any fluid out, and were not plugged off at the ends.

I know that the oil pressure gauge if fake in the 99's , is the water temp gauge fake too? if so I may be better off just to get a new Radiator that I know goes to this Car.
    Does that sound like it about covers everything?
    99 Miata Black

Billy, the auto tranny cars use those for the tranny cooler. Some of the all metal aftermarket radiators come with those so they can be used with manual or auto cars.

Chassis Designer

Yeah thats how my replacement was for my '90 when the stock rad. finally went kapoot..
    1990 Red Turbo, Granbury TX..

I'm surprised it didn't have a radiator petcock where the bolt was it would be real handy to drain it in the future. You might want to ask for one when you go to the parts store they are a low cost item.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast