Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm in

4 80.00%
  • Maybe

1 20.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Valentine Run

Hey Kestrel is everything still on schedule for the band?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing

It's POS...The of Animated GIF's!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing

I love that little accordion guy! Now if I could just edit it to have him wearing black lederhosen and a little hat...

Well, the "band" consists of me and... ah,er,um... me . But the "band" and dancers are definitely still planning to go. Thanks to onething's weather update, it doesn't look like the snow will be much of a factor, particularly by Saturday afternoon.

I've made reservations for the 9 people who are definites, and if others show up (I believe bigDstars is going to try to stop by for a little while?), I'm sure we'll be able to accomodate them. When you arrive, just look for the table with the "
    Reserved for Metroplex Miatas" sign on it

Our first "show" will probably start around 6:30 - 6:45pm, and our second [slightly longer] show should start around 7:45 - 8:00pm.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

So you will have all the info, here is what I know:

There is a small accumulation of snow on my street, but the ruts aren't slick. A pickup just went by at about 35mph - the speed limit is 20mph I expect the accumulation to be gone soon - very slushy.

The predicted high today is 40 and the low tonight is 32

The Weather Channel
    for storm updates

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...ANDERSON TX-BOSQUE TX-COLLIN TX-COOKE TX-DALLAS TX-DELTA TX- DENTON TX-ELLIS TX-FALLS TX-FANNIN TX-FREESTONE TX-GRAYSON TX- HENDERSON TX-HILL TX-HOPKINS TX-HUNT TX-JACK TX-JOHNSON TX- KAUFMAN TX-LAMAR TX-LEON TX-LIMESTONE TX-MCLENNAN TX-MILAM TX- MONTAGUE TX-NAVARRO TX-PARKER TX-RAINS TX-ROBERTSON TX-ROCKWALL TX- TARRANT TX-VAN ZANDT TX-WISE TX-YOUNG TX-
    ... SNOW ADVISORY THIS MORNING FROM GAINSEVILLE... TO DALLAS... TO CORSICANA... TO CENTERVILLE... WEST TO A GRAHAM... MINERAL WELLS... MERIDIAN... WACO... CAMERON LINE...

... SNOW ADVISORY THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON ALONG AND EAST OF A SHERMAN... TO MCKINNEY... TO ROCKWALL... TO TERRELL... TO ATHENS... AND PALESTINE LINE...

MODERATE SNOWFALL WITH ACCUMULATIONS BETWEEN 1 AND 3 INCHES THROUGH THIS MORNING... ARE EXPECTED ALONG AND NORTHEAST OF A GRAHAM... TO WEATHERFORD... TO HILLSBORO... WACO... CAMERON LINE. SNOWFALL TO 3 INCHES AND LOCALLY HIGHER... ARE EXPECTED NORTHEAST OF A GAINESVILLE... TO DALLAS... TO ATHENS LINE THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON. SNOW SHOULD TAPER OFF FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST BY MIDDAY... AS AN UPPER LEVEL STORM SYSTEM PROGRESSES EAST TOWARDS NORTHEAST TEXAS.

ROADS... BRIDGES... AND OVERPASSES IN THE ADVISORY AREA HAVE ALREADY BECOME SLICK AND HAZARDOUS ACROSS MANY LOCATIONS. ACCUMULATION OF SNOW ON ROADWAYS... BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES WILL MAKE TRAVEL TREACHEROUS. EXERCISE CAUTION IF TRAVEL IS NECESSARY.

A SNOW ADVISORY IS ISSUED WHEN SNOW EXPECTED IS ENOUGH TO CAUSE INCONVENIENCES SUCH AS TRAVEL DELAYS... WITHOUT MAJOR CLOSURES TO INTERSTATES... BUSINESSES AND SCHOOLS.

I will try the roads later and make a decision...if you want to call me, my cell number is 972-816-5296

going out now...my street is clear. Won't be online the rest of the day. If you are not coming, please call me so we won't wait for you @ the appointed Denny's
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

We are not going. Its a winter wonderland out there. Everyone in my neighborhood with a 4wd is driving around right now going no where! Why is that? To prove they can circle the block?

Anywhoo you guys have fun

Well, we're going despite the weather. I've called Hannah, and she says the roads are clear, and she'll be open. onething confirms that the roads are OK, but did say it's getting colder... which could mean icy roads later this evening.

I don't blame anyone for bailing on this one, but I hope a few folks will brave the elements and come out anyway. Remember, there's always the Holiday Inn Express.

But perhaps we'll try this again -- or just hit the Bavarian Grill or the Edelweiß in Fort Worth. The first weekend in March seems to be free... See you if I see you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    I don't blame anyone for bailing on this one...
    Good, because I just not willing to take the risk...

Wet/Snow/Slush/Ice on curvy roads in a Miata just doesn't sound like fun..... And sounds like even less fun in our OTM.

Tonight’s forecast calls for a low of 29, so this stuff will freeze again.

You guys be very careful!

Mick

Roads were dry by the time we left the festivities and I had no trouble getting home. Great food and fantastic entertainment!!!
    Haven't heard from Tailchaser, hope he had no problems.
    More later today.
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Make sure you guys holler when doing the Bavarian Grill; that's convenient for me... Also, there is a good German (Austrian?) restaraunt in old downtown Plano.. Anybody know of that one or ever go there??

Just spoke to Tailchaser who is at home hanging stuff in his garage. He said the roads were dry and there were no problems getting home. :)
    All is well...

Kestrel & Clan wowed me last night

I knew the food would be good - been there before

The performances - dances, accordian, bells, comedy . . . the beer (Tailchaser donated to my consumption as well with some of his F-I-Law's home stock) were all fantastic and my evaluation was NOT colored by the small amount of hops I consumed

I will not comment further about those of you who will be racing under the TEAM OSCAR MEYER banner this year because I had some concerns about the road conditions nearer the Metromess. NO PROBLEM but I can't blame anyone who says, "I aint doin that with my car!", and the drive was decidedly less spirited than it might have been.

Let me just end with words from my mouth last night, "I had no idea a chickenhawk could kick that high!!!"

We had a great time, and I'm very glad onething and tailchaser braved the elements to come out. I think the entertainment went pretty well -- we were a little rusty, and tried some new things, but all in all, I think we did OK. And the country/western band that played was very good as well.

Of course, what made it particularly fun was the conversation and camaraderie around the STV Almrauch /
    Metroplex Miata table . Anyway, we'll have to do it again when the weather is more favorable...

Quote Originally Posted by bigDstars
    Make sure you guys holler when doing the Bavarian Grill; that's convenient for me... Also, there is a good German (Austrian?) restaurant in old downtown Plano.. Anybody know of that one or ever go there??
    Yep, I've been to that new[er] restaurant several times. It's called Jorg's Cafe Vienna, and it's very nice. In my opinion, the food is not quite as good as the Bavarian Grill, and the service is still "working out the kinks" . And nobody beats the Bavarian Grill for German beer selection. But Jorg's is a nice change from the Grill, and I really enjoy going there.

My German crowd goes to some German/Austrian restaurant each month on the second Saturday evening. Our next outing will be on March 13, location TBD. Anyone is welcome to join us for the party!

I am a Kuby's fan through and through. And you can buy some to take home on the way out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123