Thread: Solstice V8? RAV-4 V6?

Default Solstice V8? RAV-4 V6?

Always-reliable Motor Trend reports this month that GM is eyeballing a V8 for the Solstice. That would certainly be an, um change of pace. I'm not gonna say it's a bad idea until I see the finished product, but it would certainly change the character of the little roadster.

In unrelated-but-also-interesting-news, Toyota's brand new RAV-4 will be available with a 268hp V6. Iain better be careful before he goes challenging any of those little monsters with his CR-V.

S.

Sounds like Motor Trend stumbled upon Mallett Cars' website. They are already selling 400hp ( ) LS2 Solstice conversions. Now that sounds like fun.

Here's my take - GM will never authorize a factory V8 Solstice. Why? Because it would step on the coattails of their halo car, the Corvette. The very same thing happened in the '80s when it became apparent that with a little tweaking, the Fiero V6 could outperform a contemporary Corvette. GM intentionally hamstrung the V6 Fiero, specifically so that it wouldn't overshadow the Vette.

As for the 268hp RAV4, I have to ask... why? The only benefit compact SUVs have over their mid-size counterparts is fuel economy. Stick a big V6 in the RAV4 and now it's more expensive than an entry level 4Runner, it's smaller, seats fewer people, tows less (thanks to the frame design), and gets just as poor fuel economy.

I guess this vehicle will appeal to the same vast number of people buying Saturn Vue Redlines. All five of them.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I guess this vehicle will appeal to the same vast number of people buying Saturn Vue Redlines. All five of them.
    Ha! Ha!

As for the 268hp RAV4, I have to ask... why?
    It makes it much easier to get them up to high speed so they can swerve and roll them over. Then turn around and sue Toyota because they were sold a dangerous high-center-of-gravity SUV that doesn't handle like a sports car...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Sounds like Motor Trend stumbled upon Mallett Cars' website. They are already selling 400hp ( ) LS2 Solstice conversions. Now that sounds like fun.
    Well, Mallett can make the car, but for now I don't really see that being much of a contender...

25k for your solstice, plus $18k for the v8 pkg...

then add in a few of the more or less required upgrades..
    $1k for the radiator so it'll run
    $3k for teh diff so you can launch
    $3(??) for a tranny to hold the power.
    http://www.mallettcars.com/solsticedetailsorder.pdf

Hell, right there you're at 50k... Cool toy sure, but you're squarely in vette range there.. what you gain is about 300lbs...
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

As to the V6 RAV-4, beats me. Seems like it'll be stepping on the Highlander's toes, too. And then where does the new FJ Cruiser fit into the line-up? This is truly a "truck for every buyer" approach.

Tacoma 4-cylinder
    Tacoma 6-cylinder
    RAV-4 4-cylinder
    RAV-4 6-cylinder
    Highlander 4-cylinder
    Highlander 6-cylinder
    Highlander Hybrid
    FJ Cruiser 6-cylinder
    4-Runner 6-cylinder
    4-Runner 8-cylinder
    Tundra 8-cylinder
    Sequoia 8-cylinder
    Land Cruiser 8-cylinder

That's a lot of trucks with marginal product differentiation. And that doesn't even include the Lexus trucks.

S.

Here's my take - GM will never authorize a factory V8 Solstice. Why? Because it would step on the coattails of their halo car, the Corvette. The very same thing happened in the '80s when it became apparent that with a little tweaking, the Fiero V6 could outperform a contemporary Corvette. GM intentionally hamstrung the V6 Fiero, specifically so that it wouldn't overshadow the Vette.
    Sort of like how they alway underated the HP on the Z28.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    Sort of like how they alway underated the HP on the Z28.
    No kidding. Jon had a '99 Camaro SS. Factory rated at 305 or 310 crank horsepower, it dynoed bone stock at 315 wheel horsepower.

I miss that car. It was a brute to drive, but there really is no replacement for displacement sometimes.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

No kidding. Jon had a '99 Camaro SS. Factory rated at 305 or 310 crank horsepower, it dynoed bone stock at 315 wheel horsepower.

I miss that car. It was a brute to drive, but there really is no replacement for displacement sometimes.
    A buddy of mine has a 2000 SS. You're right: it is an absolute brute. If it had T-tops, it'd be almost perfect. He also has a 1990 ZR-1. It's easier to drive than the Camaro. The engine on that Vette make sweet, sweet music.

S.

Wot!? 2006 will be different. It's sooooo much better looking now.

The Honda V6 is nice, though.

S.

The very same thing happened in the '80s when it became apparent that with a little tweaking, the Fiero V6 could outperform a contemporary Corvette. GM intentionally hamstrung the V6 Fiero, specifically so that it wouldn't overshadow the Vette.
    The 350 Fiero or 4.9 Cadillac Fiero is on my list of conversion to do.... or buy on ebay if the right deal comes along. I graduated hs in 1987 and I have always wanted one of these quirky little bastards....
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    The 350 Fiero or 4.9 Cadillac Fiero is on my list of conversion to do.... or buy on ebay if the right deal comes along. I graduated hs in 1987 and I have always wanted one of these quirky little bastards....
    Wow that's a shock coming out of a guy who already owns a Fiat X19 and a VW Karmann Ghia!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Wow that's a shock coming out of a guy who already owns a Fiat X19 and a VW Karmann Ghia!
    speaking of quirky bastards..... how is the new car Mick?
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    how is the new car Mick?
    It's resting comfortably under its cover nestled in the garage!

If you look over the rims you can see it resting! :cool:

Yes I know I need to clean my garage!

It's resting comfortably under its cover nestled in the garage!

Yes I know I need to clean my garage!
    Arrogance!!

Quirky air cooling... quirky water cooling (the coolant tubes like to rot out or get damaged by dragging the bottom)... and now he wants a car known to spontaneously combust!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Quirky air cooling... quirky water cooling (the coolant tubes like to rot out or get damaged by dragging the bottom)... and now he wants a car known to spontaneously combust!
    Ah it could be worse he could have one of those "girly cars" like a Miata!

Namedropper.
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric