Thread: $3.00 gas hurts SUV's Sales

Default $3.00 gas hurts SUV's Sales

This is a big no duh! From MSN Money
    Sales of sport-utility vehicles took a dive in September, dragging down U.S. automakers who were already expecting a consumer payback after a summer of employee-pricing discounts. Gas prices that topped $3 nationwide after Hurricane Katrina didn’t help.

The damage:

Sales of the perennial best-selling SUV, the Ford Explorer, dropped by 58% compared with September 2004. Its larger kin, the Ford Expedition, which gets 14 mpg in city driving, saw sales drop 61%. Ford stopped producing its even larger SUV, the Excursion, last month.

GM’s full-size SUVs, due to be replaced with more fuel-efficient models next year, fell 56%. Sales of its Hummer H2 – so heavy it doesn’t fall under the EPA’s fuel-mileage ratings system -- were off by 31%, but the brand’s smaller new SUV, the H3, is off to a brisk start. It’s rated at 16 mpg in city driving.

Toyota moved 46% fewer of its immense Sequoia sport-utilities, rated at 15 mpg city, and sales of its smaller SUVs were off sharply as well. Sales of Honda’s largest SUV, the Pilot, fell 26%. Nissan sold 20% fewer of its 13-mpg Armadas.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 10-04-2005 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    This is a big no duh! From MSM Money
    Interesting. I had no idea the MazdaSpeed Miata had it's own Money periodical.

Could we so lucky as to see the death of those monstrosities?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    Could we so lucky as to see the death of those monstrosities?
    Don't hate the SUV hate the driver!

But it did cost me $82.00 to fill my Expedition just the other day, looks like it's replacement once the lease ends will be a car like vehicle possibly!

But you know it will have many owners after me until it is crushed into an ashtray!

Wow... who woulda thunk that higher gas prices might cause a dip in SUV sales?

Of course, GM played it smart, and invested heavily in new car platforms... oh wait, no they didn't. They put their new car platform development on hold to spend more money developing the next generation of full-size SUVs and trucks. Smart move, General.

Even more pathetic: all of the "employee prcing" hoopla couldn't even keep YTD sales numbers afloat - GM's YTD sales are down 1% compared to last year, even with record breaking months the last two months.

Idiots.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Are you serious?

I would have left the vehicle at the pump!!!
    Then I shouldn't tell you it's running over $90 to fill up my truck... (30 gallon tank of diesel at $3.19/gal).
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    Then I shouldn't tell you it's running over $90 to fill up my truck... (30 gallon tank of diesel at $3.19/gal).
    At the least it's diesel...

At the least it's diesel...
    Why would that make it any better it's still $90.00??

What kind of Mileage & Range does Dodge Diesel truck get??

Driving around town, almost 600 miles... I usually average 20.5-21.0 MPG without the trailer... significantly lower with the trailer, mind you...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Well, the ability to upgrade the turbo, perhaps put a chip in it, an aftermarket cat and exhaust, and see hp and torque gains out the roof plus improving it's efficiency?? I'd do it...

Well, the ability to upgrade the turbo, perhaps put a chip in it, an aftermarket cat and exhaust, and see hp and torque gains out the roof plus improving it's efficiency?? I'd do it...
    Yeah... since mine is getting older, the Banks PowerPak is getting down to around $1500 for the kit... it would bump the torque from 460 ft/lbs up to around 660 ft/lbs. The down side is that I think I'd need to replace the clutch at that point... and I don't look forward to that.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Driving around town, almost 600 miles... I usually average 20.5-21.0 MPG without the trailer... significantly lower with the trailer, mind you...
    Dang that's not bad! :afro:

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

SUV's have their place like large PU's and 4X4's. Unfortunately, most of the folks we see driving them have no business buying or driving them - just an ego thing.

Don't hate the SUV hate the driver!
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

The worst Gas milage I remember getting was from my 2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0, I got a whopping 12mpg in two wheel drive...never checked it in 4WD.

I am excluding the 80 model Firebird 455ci, I'm sure it got worse just never checked it.
    99 Miata Black

I've gotten 8mpg in the Miata before... on the track.

My '93 RX-7 averaged about 11mpg on the street. On Premium. Pre-mixed 40:1 with 2-cycle engine oil.

I never measured the gas mileage of the RX-7 on the track. I imagine it would be better described in feet per gallon.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Damn....and I thought the jeep was bad!
    99 Miata Black

I had an 87 camaro 305 with 4/barrel carb it was about 10mpg on a good day.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

I get the privledge of filling up teh Suburban tonight... Gas is hovering around 2.89 here, and I'll probably put about 30+gallons in it. (of 42 :eek: )

At least I'm feeling better hearing the mileage of some of teh cars you guys drove... I get 12-15mpg..

And last night it was basically required to get home... Had to drive thru a couple sections of road where there was over a foot of water on the road! The miata wouldn't have made it.. (neither did the Lumina we saw... at least we got it on video!)
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??