Thread: 0 Stars! Chinese Car Industry No Threat... Yet

Default 0 Stars! Chinese Car Industry No Threat... Yet

Chinese 4x4 gets zero in safety test

The first Chinese car to be sold in Europe has scored zero — the worst-ever score — in safety tests.

The JiangLing Landwind was displayed at the Frankfurt Motor Show last week and is expected to arrive in British showrooms within months. It is already on sale in Holland, Germany and Belgium and has been billed as the vanguard of a new invasion of Chinese vehicles.

The two-ton 4x4 scored zero stars in crash tests last week by the ADAC, the German automobile club, which carries out tests for Euro NCAP. “It had a catastrophic result,” said a spokesman for the ADAC. “In our 20-year history no car has performed as badly.

Testers calculated that a driver would be unlikely to survive a head-on collision at 40mph, and in a side-on collision at 30mph the driver would suffer severe head and chest injuries due to a lack of side protection.

“This car seems to belong in the 1990s in terms of engineering,” said Chris Patience, head of technical policy at the AA Motoring Trust. “We will wait for the official Euro NCAP results, but if it really is that bad we hope people will think very carefully before buying this car.”

S.

That sure looks like an Isuzu Rodeo!

Hey, c'mon POS. Couldn't you flip one of the pics so they're pointed the same direction? I'm going crosseyed trying to compare them.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65
    Hey, c'mon POS. Couldn't you flip one of the pics so they're pointed the same direction? I'm going crosseyed trying to compare them.
    Sorry Precious!

You're right, POS: it's the same design. The scary thing is: this isn't a "rebadged" Rodeo. Instead, the Chinese company steals other company's designs and then builds lookalike vehicles.

Here's their Phantom knock-off:

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    You're right, POS: it's the same design. The scary thing is: this isn't a "rebadged" Rodeo. Instead, the Chinese company steals other company's designs and then builds lookalike vehicles.

S.
    Sorta like the Kias (Korean company) that have remarkable similarity (at a distance of 40 feet) to Jags...

I think it's done on purpose... look at Kingwood, Suny, Panosaonic, Duragold batteries, etc... Similar look but far from the similar feel, performance, or quality.

At least the Koreans are pretty dang close on the quality part.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

S.
    Wonder if Landwind bought the dies for the sheet metal from Isuzu? Would be a lot cheaper to build the sheet metal part of the car using the old die sets. Then you could just reverse engineer new dies as needed!

Notice the tires on the Chinese wreck.........Hankook
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher
    Notice the tires on the Chinese wreck.........Hankook
    Don't laugh; those may be the best thing about it.

S.

Don't laugh; those may be the best thing about it.

S.
    What makes you think they aren't knockoffs too?

“This car seems to belong in the 1990s in terms of engineering,” said Chris Patience, head of technical policy at the AA Motoring Trust. “We will wait for the official Euro NCAP results, but if it really is that bad we hope people will think very carefully before buying this car.”[/I]

S.
    HHHMMM the Isuzu Rodeo was from the 1990's........

...JiangLing Landwind...
    Say that three times fast with a straight face.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

. . .The JiangLing Landwind. . .
    I think it is better compared to another kind of wind -
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan