Thread: Nitrogen Gas...

Default Nitrogen Gas...

So this friend of mine wants to air up his tires with Nitrogen after reading an article about how great and wonderful it is... and no matter what I say, he won't change his mind.

So question is this... where in the Plano/Richardson/McKinney area can he find a shop that'll air up the tires on his Maxima?

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Blah Blah Blah ..Nitrogen... Blah Blah Blah.. wonderful.... Blah Blah Blah... Maxima

I was expecting a Porsche or Vette or something... but a Maxima?
    Does he realize that he will need a wheel with 2 valve stems?

Costco members can get Nitrogen for free... I prefer the 78% Nitrogen blend myself... I'll be happy to put that in his tires for a small fee...

I also highly recommend high-purity di-hydrogen monoxide as an additive in the cooling system. I usually have that in stock as well...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by Titus

I was expecting a Porsche or Vette or something... but a Maxima?
    Does he realize that he will need a wheel with 2 valve stems?
    Nope...

You have to understand this guy... he reads something is the latest and greatest and he's gotta have it (now mind you, he may be a bit behind the times with the Nitrogen thing, but I believe he read it in one of the latest rags.)

Nope...

You have to understand this guy... he reads something is the latest and greatest and he's gotta have it (now mind you, he may be a bit behind the times with the Nitrogen thing, but I believe he read it in one of the latest rags.)
    Is it Fred?

Nope... our satellite operator. He's a nice guy but sometimes is a little to eager to get the next big thing... however, I will say this: he has one helluva home theater system!

So 'splain to me why you would want your tires to be filled with Nitrogen Gas??

According to Floxal (a nitrogen supplier):

Nitrogen migrates through the tires 3 times slower than air...

Nitrogen is dry, so it won't lead to internal oxidation of the tire and rim...

Nitrogen reduces tire heat thereby reducing rolling resistance...

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Aint that what them NASCAR boys use? Must be good!

IIRC, they even use it for the air guns in the pits.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

More info:

Better air pressure retention. The single biggest reason for tire failure is lack of maintenance of tire
    pressure. In fact, 54 percent of all vehicles on the road have low tire pressure. Oxygen in compressed air can permeate the tire wall reducing tire pressure. With nitrogen, diffusion is 30 to 40 percent slower than oxygen. As a result, nitrogen maintains tire pressure longer than ambient air.

Enhanced fuel economy. Maintaining tire pressure can boost fuel economy by as much as 6 percent. Nitrogen disperses heat more quickly than ambient air. By restraining the heat in the tire and reducing rolling resistance, you get better fuel economy.

Longer tread life. With quicker heat dispersion, you get a cooler running tire which helps extend tread life and reduce tire failure. Nitrogen also prevents oxidation which can not only lead to tread separation and belt failure but, when combined with moisture, corrode rims. In fact, moisture can result in rust flakes that can fall into the valve stem, block the valve and cause under-pressurization. It can even cause the valve stem itself to rust.

Slow chemical aging. Filling a tire with nitrogen also significantly slows the chemical aging process of the tire’s rubber components. This leads to fewer catastrophic failures like blowouts. Slower aging lengthens tire core life, which yields extra retreads and lower fleet costs.

The Kosei K1-TS (Like Gary has on his white Miata) has 2 valve stems specifically for filling with nitrogen. The reasoning is that you can bleed the air from the bottom valve stem as you fill with Nitrogen from the top.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Majik has those.
    But Majik ain't full of nitrogen . . .
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Aint that what them NASCAR boys use? Must be good!

IIRC, they even use it for the air guns in the pits.
    The roundy-round boys use it in their air guns because fire needs two things to survive - fuel and an oxidizer. Unlike compressed air, nitrogen is not an oxidant.

As for your co-worker Bean... he's an idiot. You should tell him if he puts hydrogen in the tires it'll make his car lighter and improve his gas mileage.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    But Majik ain't full of nitrogen . . .
    He is quite gassy though...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Ok the reason you use nitrogen is that it does not have the water vapor that the compressor put in the tire. When you don't have the water vapor you do not get the big increases in pressure as the tire heats up. Each time you cycle the tire and fill up again you are adding more water into the tire.

Not saying the pressure on the tires will not go up but they will not go up as much. More stable pressure is the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    Ok the reason you use nitrogen is that it does not have the water vapor that the compressor put in the tire. When you don't have the water vapor you do not get the big increases in pressure as the tire heats up. Each time you cycle the tire and fill up again you are adding more water into the tire.

Not saying the pressure on the tires will not go up but they will not go up as much. More stable pressure is the idea.
    I knew we'd get a winner! I was really hoping to sell some of that dihydrogen monoxide, though...

For racing or passenger cars, the lack of water is the key. If you know the chemical make-up of the gas filling the tire, you can predict the pressure/temperature increase for given conditions.

So... unless you're racing and have the equipment to purge all the air and water there's no real benefit.

I'll still give him great pricing on my custom 78% nitro blend.
    Last edited by tailchaser; 10-18-2005 at 10:03 PM.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    When you don't have the water vapor you do not get the big increases in pressure as the tire heats up.

Actually it is that they go up a consistent amount. Whether it is more or less ( you are right, usually less) doesnt matter. It is that you can calculate the exact hot temp, or very close to it. Since sometimes you air the tires at 95% humidity and sometimes at 40%, the water varies. Also different compressors dry the air better than others.

I do have the Kosei K1-TS, although I use regular air. I have gotten some questions about the extra valve stem. And for you guys making all the comments, atleast do it while I am here to defend myself... We need a scissor smilie for the