Thread: Surge Protector

Default Surge Protector

Is it the city safety code around here that requires surge protector for the fuse panel of the house? I have an eletrician come out to fix an outlet today. He told me that I need to install a surge protector at the fuse panel where the power comes into the house. I have never heard of this. Can this be just a scam for my $$. He told me since he was already here and would put it in for me for $100) otherwise it ould cost me $125).

Any suggestion?
    Gabriel

I check with your town hall, that's not a requirement in Ft. Worth, but you may have a council person who's brother in law is an electrician.

It's just cheap insurance...

I have surge protectors all over the place... most electronics is plugged into either a surge protector/supressor or a UPS.

If you put it in the fusebox then it protects the whole house.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

The surge protector for the circuit breaker pannel is to protect the appiances from surges. I still think that you are supposed to use an independant surge protector for the computers and such.

I believe I paid $50 for one at Home Depot for a Square D QO pannel. Most of the other circuit breaker pannels probably cost less.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica