Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building TCB CSP car!

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I've got a manual rack you can have. Just get it out of my garage. It might need a new rack and pinion (there's a little play in this one), but it'll be cheaper to buy those and rebuild it than buy a whole new rack.

I dont think NB and NA racks are plug and play, but for free Miatamoto it would be worth the fabrication.

Altiain, thanks I'll try to get around to picking it up soon!

Majik, thanks for the info, I'll see how much work it might be.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I dont think NB and NA racks are plug and play, but for free Miatamoto it would be worth the fabrication.
    OK, I did a little research on the board and it doesn't look like the NB steering rack will not fit on a NA.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Parts update!!!

Just got a couple things in the mail today: $75 Ebay header and $10 "purple hornies" glass pack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Miatamoto; 11-09-2005 at 05:16 PM.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

So the header looks pretty good, but the welds on the inside of the primaries and the flange are pretty messy.

Hopefully the glass pack will quiet down my "race" exhaust. The test pipe is a little loud for my taste, but sounds pretty good out at the races.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    As you can see in the pics, it does cut off the view of the gauges.
    Not if you're sitting on the floor :)

So the header looks pretty good, but the welds on the inside of the primaries and the flange are pretty messy.
    Have you ever looked at the welds and crimps on a stock header??????? Terrible and very restrictive.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Have you ever looked at the welds and crimps on a stock header??????? Terrible and very restrictive.

Good point!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Default The header is in!!!

So I installed the header today. It wasn't too bad and probably could have been easier with another set of hands. Everything would go much quicker if I did again.

So fitment is pretty good, except for the EGR fitting on the side of one of the primaries. It took pushing and bending to get it all together. The header went in without too many problems, but needed to be pushed pretty hard into place. This is a X tune header off of ebay by the way, purchased from X3 racing and it arrived in only 3 days.

Once in place, it bolted down with no problems and lined up just fine with the exhaust. I did have to extend the O2 sensor wires. No rattling on the tranny or anything else. It actually seemed to quiet the car down a little and the car seems to be running strong (from my notoriously bad butt dyno and cool air). Here's pic, already baked to a golden brown from the test drive.

Seems like a good buy for the money.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Default Update on the X-tune header!

After my third 30-minute session at TMS I noticed a slightly weird sound coming from the car. You could barely hear it and when I asked a friend to listen for it, he couldn't hear it at all.

I think it is the header vibrating on the side of the tranny. The sound is not really noticeable, but I wanted to give an update anyway.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Looking good, I would defintely recommend porting the inside of that header. It's just ugly.

I would also recommend running your ES setup until you can afford the spec 13's and the apprporiate Kumho V710.
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley

Quote Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
    Looking good, I would defintely recommend porting the inside of that header. It's just ugly.

I would also recommend running your ES setup until you can afford the spec 13's and the apprporiate Kumho V710.
    Locally he'll be fine with whatever. Outside of this Region... well, Andy Hollis is planning on bringin his CSP car back next season, so good luck to Miatamoto.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by ratt_finkel

I sent in a deposit for a set of Lenso VPDs a couple of days ago. Gunmetal, 13x7.5 and 9.5 lbs, I can't wait. I've got a set of tires I'm going to try out first, and then I'll probably get a set of 710s.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Locally he'll be fine with whatever. Outside of this Region... well, Andy Hollis is planning on bringin his CSP car back next season, so good luck to Miatamoto.
    Yeah, I know, LUCKY ME!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I sent in a deposit for a set of Lenso VPDs a couple of days ago. Gunmetal, 13x7.5 and 9.5 lbs, I can't wait. I've got a set of tires I'm going to try out first, and then I'll probably get a set of 710s.
    I thought the Lensos were out of production. Where did you order them from?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I thought the Lensos were out of production. Where did you order them from?
    Exospeed. They were very hard to get in touch with initially, and I think they are the only people importing them into the US right now.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Exclamation Update 1/20/06

OK! So time for an update. I have strayed from the ways of TCB! I broke down and bought a set of fancy coilovers. After thinking about how much it would cost to properly lower the car with the ebay coilovers (new shock mounts and stuff) and not being sure if the AGXs could handle the spring rates or higher spring rates I decided on a set of TEIN Flex coilovers.

Eddie at Adrenaline Racing hooked me up with a good deal and they've been great so far. I can't wait to get them out to the track or an autocross. The ride is very compliant considering the spring rates and ride height (@13.5" from the center of the wheel to the fender front and back). I'm running 9kg (@500#) front and 6kg (@330#) spring rates and I'm not sure if I will be running a rear sway or not. I'll have to figure that out during the season.

I also got a new steering wheel. I found a cheap used MOMO Monte Carlo on the pointy board that is slightly larger than the Bride wheel I was using. That one was just a little small for my taste.

I'll try to add some pics as soon as I can.

I am also attempting to lower the weight of the car. I dropped around 10 lbs. the other night by removing the cockpit brace, the front subframe brace, and the front speakers. I'll be removing the U-shaped rear subframe brace when my new single bar from Moss comes in. I'll probably be removing the A/C sometime, but I've decided to keep the power steering.

Sorry for the long post!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    The power rack has a quicker ratio. Feel free to come out to an autocross to prove that your manual rack is quicker around the cones.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast