Thread: Outrageous 5-Series Repair Rules

Default Outrageous 5-Series Repair Rules

Minor front end collisions can cost big bucks on BMW 5 and 6 Series
    AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
    Posted Date: 10/27/05
    Note to owners of BMW 5- and 6 Series cars: Drive with care.

Even slight damage to the front of the car can be expensive. In some cases, insurers are declaring a lightly wrecked car a total loss.

Why? Because the front end of the car -- built with high-tech aluminum, rivets and glue -- can be hard to repair, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The front-end structure, which includes an aluminum firewall and body rails, weighs only 100 pounds. The minimal weight helps BMW achieve an ideal 50/50 fore-aft weight balance for better road handling.

Because tolerances are so tight, if the front structure is bent by more than 1 millimeter in a crash, it must be replaced, not bent back to place, BMW says. The automaker recommends that repairmen be specially trained and use only BMW-certified tools and supplies, such as rivets.

Experts say it can cost an independent repair shop as much as $100,000 for the training and special tools.

I can't imagine how much these suckers are going to cost to insure. 1mm and the entire structure gets replaced? That's .

S.

Look up the cost of insuring an Audi A8... same problem. It's insane.

Aluminum unlike steel doesn't like being bent back it will crack and then you got big issues. You would have thought fender benders would have been factored into the design study!

The cost probably were factored in... I bet they knew full well of the results. But, thankfully, engineering beat out the bean-counters on this one.

Unfortunately it means higher repair costs...

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    The cost probably were factored in... I bet they knew full well of the results. But, thankfully, engineering beat out the bean-counters on this one.

Insurance will real high on these things once the insurance industry get to eat a few.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 10-27-2005 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Insurance will real high on these things once the insurance industry get to eat of few.
    Actually, on some, it already is. For example, the Audi A8... before I bought the Passat in '99 I could have picked up a used A8 for a nice price. However, when we factored in the costs of insurance it was way out of my league. I asked my insurance guy why it was so expensive for this one particular car and he specifically mentioned that they've had to eat a few of the all aluminium built A8's. Again, he cited specifically the costs of repair and replacement.

Same deal on NSXs and the new big Jags. Aluminum might keep weight down from a design standpoint, but it's a terrible structural material to use considering the end use of a typical passenger vehicle, for the reasons cited above.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Actually, on some, it already is. For example, the Audi A8... before I bought the Passat in '99 I could have picked up a used A8 for a nice price. However, when we factored in the costs of insurance it was way out of my league. I asked my insurance guy why it was so expensive for this one particular car and he specifically mentioned that they've had to eat a few of the all aluminum built A8's. Again, he cited specifically the costs of repair and replacement.
    So how is engineering's win a good thing for the consumer if he can't afford the insurance on the car? Like the example you just listed??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    So how is engineering's win a good thing for the consumer...
    Better performance, better weight ratios... it's the same with our Miatas and their aluminium hoods. The trade off is the cost of repair.

For example... the same sized NSX made of steel with the V6 wouldn't be as quick as the AL bodied car.

Better performance, better weight ratios... it's the same with our Miatas and their aluminium hoods. The trade off is the cost of repair.
    Ah, but our hoods/fenders aren't structural. I think that is the big problem. Anybody can pop an aluminum hood on a car. Repairing an aluminum space frame is a whole different ball of wax.

S.

Of course that's assuming that one can afford the car and the eventual repair of body panels.

That's why mainstream Chevys and Fords are so cheap... parts 'o' plenty!

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Ah, but our hoods/fenders aren't structural. I think that is the big problem. Anybody can pop an aluminum hood on a car. Repairing an aluminum space frame is a whole different ball of wax.

S.
    Exactly... I just sighted the AL hood as an example of a body panel being used. But the theory is the same... if you have a good sized dent in our hoods there's no way of getting the damned thing straightend out without the patience of Job. It's easier to replace.

Same thing with the spaceframe of a BMW... the cost is cheaper for the insurance company to replace the car. Unfortunatetly, we pay the consumers pay the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel

S.
    Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!

Make it lighter is good but making it where can't fix it is bad, which will make the insurance rates higher so no one will buy the darn thing and then the bean counter cut the cord on it because no one will buy it because they can't afford the overall cost of ownership!