Thread: Mini Cooper S JCW GP

Default Mini Cooper S JCW GP

BMW’s hugely successful new Mini will bow in out in spectacular style next summer with this special stripped-out version of the Mini Cooper S.

Dubbed the ‘John Cooper Works GP kit’, it offers less weight, more power and a dramatic new look. Just 2000 examples will be built by Italian coachbuilder Bertone for worldwide launch next July, with around 400 examples coming to the UK priced at around £22,000.

The JCW GP is expected to be the last hurrah for the current Mini, before it is replaced by a re-engineered new model. The engine-tuning package also marks a high point for the supercharged 1.6-litre Chrysler-sourced Mini engine before it is also phased out in favour of a new range of turbocharged engines.

According to BMW, the new engine package boosts power by 8bhp to 210bhp, though torque stays the same as the Cooper S Works’ at 180lb ft and the JCW GP will be fitted with a much-needed limited-slip differential.

Although the power hike is modest, the JCW GP is around 40kg lighter than the standard Works car. There are Recaro front seats and the rear seats have been removed altogether, along with the air-conditioning system and most of the sound-deadening. BMW engineers have also fitted new aluminium longitudinal control arms to the rear axle.

Sadly, BMW didn’t plump for the carbonfibre bonnet shown at a recent John Cooper Works exhibition. Insiders say it was too costly to homologate for global sales, especially as the GP has been squeezed in at the end of the current Mini’s production run.

On the outside, the GP is distinguished by a new aerodynamics package. This includes front and rear aprons, a wing-shaped rear spoiler, underbody panels and new sculpted sill covers. BMW claims a reduced drag coefficient and enhanced downforce on both front and rear axles.
    -------------------

Very nice. Would love to own one. I'll add it to the list of other cars I'd love to own. If this had been out when I bought the Miata, though, it might have made for an interesting choice. Then again, it'll probably cost $30k.

Wheels look huge...

S.

Looks pretty nice. I'm sure the price will get over $30k easily. BMW is pretty proud of their lightweight stuff.

Stick with your miata though. I'm back in a FWD daily driver and all I can say is that FWD sucks.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    BMW is pretty proud of their lightweight stuff. .
    Indeed. I forget how much the M3 CSL cost, but I think it was close to the price of a 911 .

The red mirrors on this thing are a little, uh, or . Are they trying to copy Audi's use of brushed aluminum mirrors on the RS series? If so, it's a poor imitation.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Indeed. I forget how much the M3 CSL cost, but I think it was close to the price of a 911 .

The red mirrors on this thing are a little, uh, or . Are they trying to copy Audi's use of brushed aluminum mirrors on the RS series? If so, it's a poor imitation.

S.
    Sometimes BMW's pricing backfires on them though. Back in '95 when they were selling a lightweight M3 they were practically giving them away, but the same cars are still selling for close to $30k today even though they're 10 years old.

I'm not feeling the mirrors either.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I like the mirrors on that color combo.

I'd skip the "lightweight" package, and instead opt for an '05 Cooper S with the JCW and limited slip packages if you wanted the extra power, which you can order right now. For about $26k, you'd have one heck of a fun front driver.

That said, I'd just buy a stripped Cooper S with the LSD, and go take advantage of the super-soft G Stock PAX.

Hmm... the wife wants a MINI...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I figured the price would be closer to $40,000 for the car in the U.S.

I once was going to get one, but decided I would rather have a vert. and don;t care for the Mini vert.

I got to drive a friends Mini Cooper S and asked him if he had considered getting the JCW package. He said yes, but the $4500 extra does not include the dealers installation. After all was said and done, he said it was more around $7500 to install. That along with the S package runs upward of $30,000 for getting a not-too-loaded JCW Mini Cooper S. His does not have the moonroof or the navigation system in it.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica