Thread: That sweet smell of burning coolant...

Default That sweet smell of burning coolant...

A few days ago I started smelling 'that smell' but the temp gauge hadnt moved at all, I blew it off as I had the top down, must have been another car. Next day I smelled it faintly, popped the hood, couldnt find or smell anything, hmmm...must be in my head...

Today on the way to work, I had the barndoors up & started noticing a small amount of steam comming out of the drivers side barndoor while at a rather long stoplight, still the temp gauge stayed in its normal spot, slightly below half.

Pull in to work(noticed it pretty close to work, didnt drive it to far like this) pop the hood, didnt see any steam(engine was running), but saw small amounts of coolant on the headlight housings, both sides, & all around the top of the radiator, but no indication it was comming from the cap, or a hose.

Any way to check whats causing this, without having to pull the front end off the car??

This is the first time ive ever had any issue with the cooling system, other than blowing a heater hose from a leaky CAS. I hope the radiator isnt cracked, I cant afford that...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Bought a new pressure cap yet?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

OH yea, forgot to add that, flushed coolant & changed the cap / thermostat about 7 - 8 months ago.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

OEM Radiator??

I think so, the top is brown plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    Pull in to work(noticed it pretty close to work, didnt drive it to far like this) pop the hood, didnt see any steam(engine was running), but saw small amounts of coolant on the headlight housings, both sides, & all around the top of the radiator, but no indication it was comming from the cap, or a hose....
    Sure sounds like a radiator on the way out.

You may want to drop TurboDuane a PM I think he had a team CB radiator available!

I might have a all metal radiator that I can let go cheap. I just have to make sure the winner of the ebay auction really can't pay for it. Said he had some bank problems.

Let me know. I'm looking for $60, that's what it went for on Ebay.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I'd guess radiator too. They turn brown as they age.

$60 is a good price. I think I paid around $120 for mine from Radiators.com about three years ago.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Well, looks like my cooling woes are over, for now, much thanks to TurboDuane

The leak got much worse last night on the way to TDs house, I ended up loosing most coolant on I20 at the Great Southwest on ramp, talk about a bad place to break down! Let it cool off, poured the last of my spare water, limped it to a gas station, filled her up with some overpriced water, & limped it the rest of the way.

We swaped it out in a little over an hour, & all appears to be well now!

Glad to hear it and to help keep you in the running for President of TCB
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.