Thread: MSM dyno Charts...

Default MSM dyno Charts...

Went over to Richardson on Saturday to get a baseline run on teh MSM..
    ($45 for 3 pulls with a/f anytime.. not a bad deal)

Well, here' what I found.. I hoped for a bit more power, but I can understand that being how much driving aroudn I was doing beforehand to find the frikken place (so heat, it was niiiiice & hot)

Results? FRIKKEN RICH! Check out the a/f results! Off the chart! No wonder my exhaust tip is always black with soot.. Wonder if the cats glow?
    http://www.digitex.net/ecarter/pics/run1.JPG
    http://www.digitex.net/ecarter/pics/run2.JPG
    http://www.digitex.net/ecarter/pics/run3.JPG

Yeah, that can't be good for emissions

TIme to get some more air thru there!
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Interesting. Maybe it's running that rich in order to lower the EGT's a bit and keep the cats alive a little longer, since the Republik of Kalifornia now requires all emissions equipment to last for a minimum of 120,000 miles.

Supposedly, that's what happened to the RX-8s - a portside ECU reflash severely richened the part-throttle mixture to help keep the cats alive. The unfortunate side effect was horrible gas mileage and a few missing ponies, both of which probably cost Mazda more in terms of money and marketing than a few pre-120k cat failures would have 6 year from now.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

umm.. correct me if I'm wrong, but a rich mixture raises EGTs and reduces the life of catalytic converters..

not to mention the fact that all that unburnt fuel out teh tailpipe kills your emissions results esp on teh hydrocarbons....
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

In gasoline engines, running rich doesn't necessarily lower EGT, but it ensures the lowest possible EGT, since running lean with raise EGT.

If you’re on a dyno aren't you accelerating hard? So wouldn't the engine tend to be rich while accelerating? If you lean it out during hard acceleration aren’t ya asking for trouble??

Where as during the emissions they run it up top a steady state then conduct the test? For us old cars that is you new kids they just plug it into the computer to see if it’s in spec.

yes, on a power pull on a dyno it's floored... You don't want the motor to run lean obviously (BOOM) but you don't wnat it running that rich either.

Running with that much fuel will foul the cats, and it will suck out power. Most tuners aim for about 12.0 By running it down below 10, that's probably at least a 10-15rwhp loss on this car.
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

Default Where did they get the A/F?

According to the FM tech guys, if they are getting the A/F from the tailpipe, the measurement is distorted. They suggest getting the measurement before the cat. That being said, even if the reading is off some, it is still probably safe to say that your running rich...eric

I'll know better soon enough... My AEM wideband showed up in the mail yesterday :)

1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

If you are looking for a knowledgable shop I am recomending my husband's shop, ATS Racing. They are located in Denton, TX. They started out about 4 years ago as an MR2 specialty shop. They are however very familiar with other makes and models. They did quite a lot of work to my new miata (turbo, intercooler, ecu, clutch, brakes) when it belonged to the previous owner. They have a Dynojet 248C dynamometer that was purchased from Flying Miata.

Thanks,

Christin
    99 Miata FM turbo kit 202rwhp
    93 MR2 Turbo 291 rwhp
    04 Jeep Grand Cherokee 180 rwhp

http://www.atsracing.net

1200hp Dynojet 248c