Thread: Miata TV (part 2)

Default Miata TV (part 2)

I have my on camera stuff tomorrow for the TV show. I'm not sure what we are doing, but we start at 7am. Shoot, I'm not ususally done scratching my balls by 7am much less ready to drive.

I wanted to start talking tires for the december 14th "BIG RACE". I have had a few offers of using AutoCross tires for the race. I still have Altain's Kumho 710s, I have my full tread Kumho Victoracer V700s or I could go with the AutoX super glue tires. I might take you up on the AutoX Tires since the race is relatively short and the track is likely to be frozen.

Now that the Corvettes have been dispatched its time to go for some German Pride.

Any thoughts.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

I'd say go try both back to back before then and determine if the V710s are past their useful life. Good luck! I'll try to finish off the video in the near future.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I've still got a few more V710s laying around if you need extras. All I want are the wheels back when you're done with them. Undamaged, of course.

Having burned up a few sets of V700s in my time, the only place I'd take them over the V710s would be in standing water, and then only if they were full tread or near it. The V710s offer grip that's on a completely different level, and overheating the tires won't be an issue below 80 degrees or so.

Edit:Are you talking about Victoracers or Ecsta V700s? Vastly different tires. The Victoracers are great budget track tires, but they won't hold a candle to V710s anywhere, wet or dry. Ecsta V700s are nasty, evil tires that are prone to delaminating in hot, dry conditions, but at full tread they make better rain tires than either a Victoracer or V710. Either way, I'd recommend the V710s. While those V710s are a bit past their prime, they were still good enough that both drivers in my car (including majik, who'd never driven the car before) PAXed in the top 10% at the last SCCA event just a couple of weeks ago.
    Last edited by altiain; 11-30-2005 at 02:20 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I have Victos.

Oh, I really liked the V710s. Even near the end of their life they are holding up well.

I'm trying to burn them up, but you left a lot of meat on the bones. <<head down>> I'll keep trying.

By the way, I saw a small leaf hiding in the corner of the garage. You better get out there and clean up that pig sty.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    By the way, I saw a small leaf hiding in the corner of the garage. You better get out there and clean up that pig sty.

You missed it last week - we had new carpet put in last Monday, and the garage was full of crap from the two spare bedrooms all week. It looked like a disaster area.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

The 710s are DONE DONE DONE. They went away like a bad relationship. They were freaking awesome in the race, but I think the heavy duty heat cycling from the open track runs finally did them in. I had to switch to the Victoracers for some track fun yesterday while we shot our Race re-creation.

SO we need a new tire plan for the December 14th race. Ideas welcome.

Here is some info on the show. It is planning to air in January 2006 on DISH Network HD Channels Called "Torque". Miata Spanking Vettes is episode 104. I felt so bad for the vette drivers - not only did they get beat BAD by a Miata, but they had to come bace with the "Insertion Car" and recreate the bad memory again. BooHoo.

I am looking for someone to host a little party when the show airs. If anybody know of a bar that has DISH HD, please let me know.

FYI, they are looking at a second season, so sharpen up your driving skills and go kick some
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba