Thread: Help in shipping.

Default Help in shipping.

Possibly have my old wheels and tires sold, however buyer is in Detroit. What kind of prep work would I need to do to them to ship them. Shipping is standard UPS ground.
    Last edited by blackzx3_13; 12-03-2005 at 03:26 PM.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13
    Possibly have my old wheels and tires sold, however seller is in Detroit. What kind of prep work would I need to do to them to ship them. Shipping is standard UPS ground.
    Get some big cardboard boxes and cut out some circles the diameter of the tires. Put two on each side of the wheels and wrap it up with packing tape. That's probably the easiest way to pack them up.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    Get some big cardboard boxes and cut out some circles the diameter of the tires. Put two on each side of the wheels and wrap it up with packing tape. That's probably the easiest way to pack them up.
    Yep... he's right. When I got my Konigs with tires mounted, they used cardboard circles to protect the wheels, wrapped them in that industrial Saran Wrap stuff, and slapped a shipping label on them.

Thanks for the input.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

The ups store may be able to use the tough plastic straps to cinch it down too.

What pressure should I ship the tires at?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

What pressure should I ship the tires at?
    0. Air is heavy!

Thats what I was thinking. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    The ups store may be able to use the tough plastic straps to cinch it down too.
    Yep, tape works, but the plastic straps are definitely better.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Coming from the dude in the business (FedEx), I can tell you the cardboard discs should work and the straps would be ideal or the celephane would work well too.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    0. Air is heavy!
    Fill 'em with helium!
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Default yup

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    Fill 'em with helium!

hahaaa!!
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    Fill 'em with helium!
    I read somwhere that the world supply of helium will be depleated by 2010.

I read somwhere that the world supply of helium will be depleated by 2010.
    Yeah, and people have been predicting that we'd run out of oil in a decade since the 1920s.

Helium is like oil is like copper is like any other raw commodity - as the supply of the material decreases, the equilibrium world market price will increase. This increase in market price will make newer, costlier extraction processes viable, which will in turn increase the available supply of helium.

Just like oil. At $20 a barrel, oil locked in tar sands - which can cost $50 a barrel to extract - is not economically viable to produce, so it isn't really considered part of the available supply. However, if the market price of oil climbs above $50 a barrel and stays there for awhile, those reserves become economically viable, and the supply of oil increases. The actual amount of oil in the ground hasn't changed a bit, it's just that more of it has become economically viable to extract and sell.

FWIW, the bulk of the world's helium is produced in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. It is extracted from natural gas, and all natural gas contains helium in some quantitiy.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw