Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyota 4Runner

Default Toyota 4Runner

So I'm thinking I may get myself a new 2006 Toyota 4Runner figure I can't lose with a Toyota. Anyone got any experience with these things?

TIA

My personal experience with Toyota is one where I'd never own one again... but with that aside, the Channel Account Manager I work with has a 99 model 4Runner and he just can't seem to kill it - it takes everything he can throw at it and has over 100k miles.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I have a '98 SR5 with 104K on it. No problems...replaced a starter once.
    Still looks great when its clean. JRW also has one.

It rides like a truck, not a car. I'm keeping mine.

My dad has a '97 4wd V6 4Runner with well over 150k on it. He's replaced the radio, and we replaced the shocks last winter. That's it, other than routine maintenance. Toyota builds a pretty good truck, imho.

I wanted to buy a 3rd gen 4Runner ('97-'02) instead of the CR-V when I was looking for an OTM this summer, but the fuel mileage ruled it out when I took a job in Garland. The 3rd gens are definitely trucks, though - lots of ground clearance, very capable off road, but the smoothest or best handling SUV on road. The 4wd models were also a bit anemic, with only 190hp from the 3.4L V6, and they would hit an aerodynamic brick wall at about 70mph, which could make passing a chore on the freeway. I don't know if they've improved any of those aspects with the 4th gen 4Runners, but knowing Toyota I'm sure they did.

I'd definitely spring for the V8 model, though. The V6 in the new 4Runners is the same engine from the old Tacomas and 4Runners, iirc, and it'll be woefully underpowered in the newer, heavier truck.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    My personal experience with Toyota is one where I'd never own one again...
    RJ
    I just finished a similar experiance just replace the word Toyota with Ford!

I leaning toward the 4.0-liter dual overhead cam (DOHC) V6 engine rated at 236 horsepower, with 266 lb-ft. of torque at 4,000 rpm. The 6 is a lot better on gas than the V8. V6-18/22 vs. V8-16/20

I also want a 2WD model, never really saw a need for 4WD, I live in Texas.

Keep the comments coming!

We had a modern 4runner on hire for a couple of weeks, and it was fantastic. It was so much better than the Blazer that I was unfortunately arm-twisted into buyomg from a colleague that there's no comparison. It had plenty of power, handled well, good build quality, etc etc etc

It might be worth noting that in countries where maintenance is hard to come by or your life depends upon your vehicle not breaking down, Toyotas are the vehicle of choice and dominate the market. The Land Cruiser is one of the best rugged vehicles you can buy.

(Where you want something tough whose maintenance can be done using only a lump hammer, then Land Rovers rule...)
    "Get to Heaven half an hour before the devil knows your dead"

www.myspace.com/theelectrics

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    So did you buy it yet?
    Nope....

Besides the price, what's the holdup?
    I'm getting some numbers from another dealership, figure I'll see which one comes back with the lowest number.

I am a CB after all!

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    I have a '98 SR5 with 104K on it. No problems...replaced a starter once.
    Still looks great when its clean. JRW also has one.

It rides like a truck, not a car. I'm keeping mine.
    Since all the cool kids had one I got myself one today! It's Sweet!

Donde estan los peliculos?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Since all the cool kids had one I got myself one today! It's Sweet!
    Congrats!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

What?
    Where is the pelican?

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Where is the pelican?
    He got the special deal because there is a trained pelican that roosts on it every night?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

pelicula, cuadro... shoot me. I slept through Spanish.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Or better yet... "Tienes photos?"
    We also had really old textbooks... I don't think fotos had been invented yet...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast