Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The most important Miata meeting in the DFW area

Default The most important Miata meeting in the DFW area

THIS IS BOLD AND LOUD FOR A REASON. JANUARY 21ST IS THE MEMBERSHIP MEETING OF THE LONE STAR MIATA CLUB, AND IT IS TIME TO FIX IT! I'VE DECIDED TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT AND TURN IT AROUND, FROM BORING MEETINGS, LACK OF FUN, AND MINIMAL EVENTS, TO NO MEETINGS, FUN STUFF, AND TRIPS AND TOURS AND AUTOCROSS EVENTS AND TECH DAYS AND TRACK DAYS AND ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT!

All I ask for is your support. I know many of you have tried it and didn't like it. I know that others, like myself, were cast out as "boy racers" and "children"(I'm 55!). I think we can fix it! I don't care if we scare away the lazy group that is there now, since they don't want to do anything but EAT (BTW, I'm on a diet......gonna lose twenty pounds AND get in shape!) and complain.

The biggest hurdle I see immediately is getting the word out and getting as many "real" Miata drivers to the membership meeting. In someone's infinite wisdom the meeting was set for Saturday, January 21 at Southfork Ranch....and you can "tour" the place.....WHOOPIE! That's what they do for fun! For those that live in south Oklahoma, the trips not far. For the rest of us, it might be, but what the heck, we're driving Miatas, so it shouldn't be too bad :) The PARTY....and that's what I'm going to make it.....commences at 11AM with lunch and voting up to 12:45. After I win...and I AM going to win, the changes will begin.....with a spirted drive to...somewhere. Don't know where, yet, but the DRIVE is going to be the event, NOT the destination. If you don't know where Southfork is, check out this address on MapQuest: 3700 Hodge Road, Allen, TX 75002

Bring your Miata(s), bring your spouse, your kids, your dogs, and deck out the Miatas so we will all stand out and let them know we're serious about making changes. Oh yeah, bring $20, 'cause you can't vote if you don't join... Membership fee is $30, but I am already working on that. I figure that fifty new members at $20 is much better than two new members at $30, don't you?

If you really feel adventurous, join me and run for another office: VP (Girl Friday would be nice!), Treasurer (no, you don't get to KEEP the membership money!), Secretary (who should have little to do without meetings), Membership, Newsletter editor (this is the MOST important job in the club), or Web meister. We could make it a sweep. Just remember that I AM THE and I AM IN CHARGE! I will have my bodyguards nearby, just in case...........

If you have any kewl ideas on making this LOTS of FUN, let me know.....I'm all ears The tells me that all the time! Hope to see EVERYONE from MME , the OUTLAWS, and old members. Don't care if you're seventeen or seventy-seven, or even if you act like you're five. It's important to me to get this club back on track and all I ask is that you give it a chance.......

"Mad" Merv
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

You got my vote Merv...
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

I would vote if I could Merv, but by looking at the Bylaws, I don't think I am eligible.

At each election of officers, every member in good standing 60 days prior to the election and entitled to vote at such election shall have the right to vote, in person or by proxy, for as many persons as there are officers to be elected and for whose election he has a right to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I would vote if I could Merv, but by looking at the Bylaws, I don't think I am eligible.
    ...working on that, too. Our voices will be heard!
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    If the by-law changes, then you have my vote!
    Ditto!

Thanks, guys. The rusty wheels are already turning.... Will keep you posted.

Ditto!
    +1 !!!

Also see if they will do PayPal for dues... many folks would probably find it easier to pay that way since that would let them use mad money or credit cards.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Merv,

My wife and I have reservations in Jefferson, TX at a B&B on Saturday. However, I do have permission to be there until 1pm as check in is at 3pm. Hey, make your run towards Jefferson, and maybe I can join in but otherwise, I will miss the run afterwards.

If my vote will count, you can count on my vote. I miss the "club" thing as it's a great way to get together with other Miata owners. I also think it's sad we don't have a central Miata club that caters to all types of owners.

I have no problems with the current membership. I'm sure they are all nice folks and they have a place in the club. I think your goal is to expand the club, not oust the current mewmbership.

As for running for office, with school, work and a baby on the way my plate is full for now but I will try to support you as best I can because, like you, I believe in this!

Ideas for stuff?

Call me a wine and cheeser but I actually liked the social aspects too with like minded folks. I don't need to drive all the time to have fun. I actually enjoyed B.S.ing about cars in the Sonic parking lot but lets get some variety on the places! Cruizers in Frisco is a car-related eating establishment.

Of course AutoX and performance driving events are obvious. (MSR?)

The only problem I see is schedule conflicts with the Cone Dodgers. Most of them would miss their mother's funeral if it was an AutoX weekend! (I'm kidding y'all!) We could incorporate these existing events in with Lone Star. Maybe we could arrange for discounted fees for Lone Star members?

I'd still dig impromtue runs to food destinations if the crowd were people I like hanging with. I loved the Rocket Run.

Tech days would be much needed too. Maybe another swap meet?

Another neat thing would be to go to and maybe even join in or host local car shows and car meets. In SoCal a dealership hosted a Best of the Bunch (Miata) car show and had lots of vendors donate prizes that were given away. Freebies are Cheap Bastard approved.

See, a club should have something for everyone and everyone should feel welcome. The world is full of different people with different interests and a good club addresses the needs of all members.

I invision a club that has stuff for the touring folks, the social folks, the performance junkies, the wrenchers, the showcar crowd and have stuff every weekend. Even have several events at the same time for people to choose from.

This is a large metroplex with a diverse amount of Miata owners and I for one am excited to see a change in Lone Star!

Bravo Merv!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Yeah, what they said...
    ...except closer to the ground.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    The only problem I see is schedule conflicts with the Cone Dodgers. Most of them would miss their mother's funeral if it was an AutoX weekend! (I'm kidding y'all!) We could incorporate these existing events in with Lone Star. Maybe we could arrange for discounted fees for Lone Star members?
    Hey! I'll have you know that I actually backed out of the Houston Tour last year to attend a funeral, and it wasn't even for a blood relative!

Merv, while I applaud your efforts, the biggest problem I see with this is that the vast majority of the current LSMC members haven't got the slightest interest in performance events (the only LSMC member I've ever met at a track day or autox was Morris Hoover... who introduced me to the Outlaws instead). On the flip side, most of us have little interest in the type of events that LSMC currently puts on. There is very little overlap between the groups - heck, we've extended the offer to LSMC members on more than one occasion to come and join us for a run or an autocross, and Bill Preston posts the LSMC wine & cheese events pretty regularly over here. Even with that effort, there is very little if any overlap, because most of us don't enjoy what LSMC currently enjoys.

So we add autocrosses, tech days, track days, and our kind of backroads runs to LSMC. In other words, we remake LSMC to resemble what we've already got right here... what have we accomplished besides adding dues and a formal rules structure, one that most of us find unecessary?

Personally, I like the informal structure of this group. I don't need to pay dues to yet another organization I have little time for, especially when I already have an organization right here that suits my needs and doesn't cost me anything more than I want to invest, both in time and money. After all, it seems like we've got exactly what you want to remake LSMC into already right here.

I guess what I'm asking is this: what does the typical MME member like me stand to gain from helping to "take over" LSMC?
    Last edited by altiain; 01-05-2006 at 03:35 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Iain,
    It wouldn't stop what MME is, which is mostly autocrossing, but there are other parts that some might like. As much as I try to "fit" in with you guys, there seems to be a lot of "private" stuff going on, as has been evident in the few lunches I've been to. If you disagree with trying to make things better for those that want it, that's ok, but then you never knew what LSMC used to be either......

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I guess what I'm asking is this: what does the typical MME member like me stand to gain from helping to "take over" LSMC?
    Ever the optimist.

I'd disagree that what we have here has everything all of us want. If you like to AutoX well then MME has you covered but what about all the other options I mentioned above.

Having a formal and organized club provides for expanded opportunities and maybe even a chance to participate in some new types of Miata events as well as meet a more diverse group of enthusiasts.

It also provides one stop access to new Miata owners to find out what is available to them. Perhaps the reason Lone Star folks and MME folks haven't mingled is because we don't know each other? Getting together will bridge the gap between us.

The problem is we currently have three Miata related groups in the DFW metromess. I for one would like to see one unified group that provides all the services we currently have but in one central organization.

Of course the bigger challenge is the Outlaws. There is still some hard feelings and honestly, I don't think that group has any desire to expand beyond what they already have. It's more like a small, tight knit group of friends than a club or organization.

That's partly why I've merged over to MME. The Outlaws are centralized at Gary's garage. Unless you hang out there, you'll more than liklely miss anything they do.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Iain,
    It wouldn't stop what MME is, which is mostly autocrossing, but there are other parts that some might like. As much as I try to "fit" in with you guys, there seems to be a lot of "private" stuff going on, as has been evident in the few lunches I've been to. If you disagree with trying to make things better for those that want it, that's ok, but then you never knew what LSMC used to be either......
    Merv, I think you've misunderstood me. I have no disagreement with trying to make thing better, I just don't understand why you feel you need to "take over" LSMC to improve things, if that's your goal.

This group is may appear to be mostly about autocrossing because... the most active members are avid autocrossers. By the same token, LSMC has a lot of wine & cheese runs because it's run by wine & cheesers.

We have an active set of tech days, back country runs, autocrosses, lunch meets, etc. right here. If we're missing some vital aspect that you want to see included, get involved right here and help us to make it happen. We're certinaly a lot more likely to embrace such a change - and welcome the involvement - than the LSMC crowd is.

In addition, we draw a lot more eyeballs than LSMC does. We offer a more visible platform with a more active membership. Been on LSMC's web board lately? How many LSMC'ers did you see at Zoom Zoom Live, where MME had a dozen cars parked on display at the front entrance?

Why try and remake LSMC into something they aren't, probably pissing off a lot of current LSMC members in the process, when you have an active and willing group right here? What does the LSMC platform offer that is unique? Why fight the uphill battle to remake LSMC into something it isn't, when we're already halfway (or more) to where you want an organization to be?

My point is, you can probably pull off everything you're trying to accomplish - and in an easier fashion, without requiring membership dues or meeting attendance out of anyone - by doing the same thing right here. Heck, we're more than happy to give anyone who wants to stand up and take a leadership role the opportunity, and you won't have to gather a bunch of votes to do it.

I fully support your desire to consolidate the separate local clubs, but I encourage you to invest that energy where it will do the most good for the local Miata enthusiast... and I personally happen to feel that energy would be best invested here rather than LSMC. If you disagree, I respect that. More importantly, I'll support your bid to become LSMC's president, if that's what you choose to do. I just wanted to offer up another viewpoint.
    Last edited by altiain; 01-05-2006 at 04:55 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I plan to be there - member in good standing. You have my vote
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

This group is may appear to be mostly about autocrossing because... the most active members are avid autocrossers.
    Sort the members list by posts and ignore the Moderators... it might surprise you! The top 4 active non-mods are not avid Autocrossers.

Sort the members list by posts and ignore the Moderators... it might surprise you! The top 4 active non-mods are not avid Autocrossers.
    Can't we all just get along.

There will ALWAYS be politics and clicks in any group. I for one don't care for it. Props to MadMerv for standing up and trying to make a change.
    I would vote for you, but those stupid laws are in the way.
    No more Miata

Umm... I'm not sure I understand your statement? The mods are the mods primarily because they're the most active and contributing members. Why would we recruit people to moderate who aren't involved with the board or the group?

What good does removing the mods from your list of the most active members do, since they are - almost by definition - the most active members?

Besides, we do have one mod who doesn't autocross: 3Bean!
    Last edited by altiain; 01-05-2006 at 05:39 PM.
    Iain

Umm... I'm not sure I understand your statement? The mods are the mods primarily because they're the most active and contributing members. Why would we recruit people to moderate who aren't involved with the board or the group?
    I'm not sure I understand YOUR statement on this... I'm not a contributing member? NOT that I want to be a moderator... I already have too much on my plate. I agree with jolberry that there are clicks in any group... we have them here.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Besides, we do have one mod who doesn't autocross: 3Bean!

For the most part, I was just just stirring the pot Iain. There is a point in there though... Since the board was started (By the Mods? Wasn't here so don't know) A lot of non-autocrossers have come along... Look at those posters with 500 or more posts (including mods)... more than half of them are not "avid" autocrossers.

I guess it also kind of proves your point that Merv seems to want to "remake LSMC to resemble what we've already got right here", but I think I understand what Merv is feeling. It sounds like there is a little nostalgia at work. Merv remembers what LSMC used to be and misses it... He sees some of what it was here, and wants to integrate it (and the Outlaws) in with LSMC to get back to the place he misses.

I am all for anything that encourages the wine and cheesers, the auto-x junkies, the spirited drivers, the garage wrenchers, the track addicts, and the tuners to taste pieces of the other clicks, as long as it doesn't damage the special thing we already have going on here. I have tasted all of this from right here, but there are a lot of people that just don't enjoy internet forums as part of their life. A formal club you join (like LSMC) might have the potential to offer that. Is there a way to bring together different established mediums effectively? I don't know, but I applaud Merv for trying.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast