Thread: Suspension And Handeling Project

Chassis Designer WhiteLightning's Avatar

Default Suspension And Handeling Project

Hey everyone, its that time to start the shopping for the first project on the Miata. I am going to start on the Suspension and Handling by installing front and rear strut tower bars, and lowering springs. I know of one major miata store online and was curious to know if there are any others. The one i know is MiataMania.com

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLightning
    Hey everyone, its that time to start the shopping for the first project on the Miata. I am going to start on the Suspension and Handling by installing front and rear strut tower bars, and lowering springs. I know of one major miata store online and was curious to know if there are any others. The one i know is MiataMania.com
    Several of us have gotten suspension components from Flyin' Miata. I would also recommend our local Miata performance shop, Track Dog Racing.

The only problem that i am having so far is finding a front brace that will work with my ABS

Before you start throwing parts at the car, I'd ask myself the following questions:

• What are my goals for this car? Daily driver, track toy, occasional autocrosser, long distance tourer?
    • What is it about the stock suspension that I specifically want to improve upon?

Suspension tuning is more of an art than a science. As with most well-developed factory sports cars, just throwing on a set of sway bars and some lowering springs will be more likely to degrade the handling and capabilities of the car, rather than improve it.

I would encourage you to definie a specific goal you intend to accomplish with your suspension "upgrade", and then spend some time in some of the modified Miatas around here, in order to decide for yourself what you like and don't like about the various setups out there.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I know the two are probably totally different. But i would like to have a track toy and look into autocross. This is my first small compact car. My previous car was a 1986 Trans Am and there just wasnt as many options. Thank you for the advice.

I know the two are probably totally different. But i would like to have a track toy and look into autocross. This is my first small compact car. My previous car was a 1986 Trans Am and there just wasnt as many options. Thank you for the advice.
    The shock tower braces might not be the best bang for the buck for a track car. I noticed no noticeable handling improvement with the front brace I had on my car (pulled it off when I added the supercharger). The only noticeable change was a reduction in cowl shake going over railroad tracks. If you have a trunk full of cash, then get them, but if not, I would push it down on your list.

And the next question should probably focus on your budget.

I'll second holding off on the strut tower braces.

If you'd like to try them out I've got a set of R1 coilovers that are 450 lb/in up front and 350 lb/in in the back. I'll sell them for $30. They are new and unused. SOLD (Altiain just PM'd me)

You can find more information on the miata.net forums if you search for Ebay coilovers.
    Last edited by Miatamoto; 01-09-2006 at 02:35 PM.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

If it were me and I had money....I would spend the money on some autox or track schools and see what the car is capable of in stock trim before I did anything. I think you will be surprised what these little cars can do.

Then decide what mods (if any) you want to do. You can spend all the money in the world making your car fast & well handeling, but if you don't know how to drive it fast (the proper way), your wasting money?
    Just my
    No more Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    I'll second holding off on the strut tower braces.

If you'd like to try them out I've got a set of R1 coilovers that are 450 lb/in up front and 350 lb/in in the back. I'll sell them for $30. They are new and unused.

You can find more information on the miata.net forums if you search for Ebay coilovers.
    i was unable to find the information on these, do you have a link?

i was unable to find the information on these, do you have a link?
    Altiain just snagged them up, but don't worry b/c you can buy them on ebay for just a little bit more:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...=ebay+coilover
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by jolberry
    If it were me and I had money....I would spend the money on some autox or track schools and see what the car is capable of in stock trim before I did anything. I think you will be surprised what these little cars can do.

Then decide what mods (if any) you want to do. You can spend all the money in the world making your car fast & well handeling, but if you don't know how to drive it fast (the proper way), your wasting money?
    Just my
    Amen to that. Jolberry speaketh the truth. The least capable part of my car is the driver, and I'm working on that.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If you're just itching to spend some money, you might invest in a set of good 'sticky' tires and go from there.

i decided i am going to just save up alittle more and get 16in rims and wrap them in ruber bands

I also took a look at the coil over kit you showed me, and found it on ebay as well. From the reviews of the item its a pretty good bang for the buck. But since i am wanting to show the car everyonce in awhile, i would like to have a name alittle bit known. o the plan now is going to be wheels, and tires. I was curious to know as well if anyone has upgraded their intake and noticed any drastic difference

i decided i am going to just save up alittle more and get 16in rims and wrap them in ruber bands
    Ahhh... What better way to improve your handling than to put boat anchors at all four corners!

Seriously. Big Wheels = More Unsprung Wieght = Worse handling and acceleration.

I'd go with getting some sticky rubber on the stock rims, learning to drive it like a pro and then, as Altiain said, figure out your goals.

Now if your goal is just to make it look like a car in Import Tuner well, I'd slip on some 18" rims, get a veilside kit, and some neon and you'll be set to impress all the high school kids.

BTW, my car looks bad ass with 15" rims.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Thanks guys, as i said before i am new to all the modification choices. Compared to my last car, i have hundreds of choices, and not sure which to pick. I now know with yalls help i can make this car a "FlyinMiata".

Yep already some good advice about driving schools and tyres but in addition to that if you are looking to blow some more money then do some research on miata.net or meet up with some of us to checkout the different suspension options. You can get some nice spring/shock combinations for a good price to stiffen the car and lower it or you can go all out and get some complete coilovers like the Teins.

I've heard good things about the Racing Beat race springs and I love my Ground Control kit with the AGX shocks. Quite a few people love the FM springs, but I personally did not like them...then again they were defective. Everyone's opinion on what rides good varies, so the best thing is to come to a tech day or meet and catch a ride in some cars with different setups to see what you like before making any decisions. Just depends on how aggressive you want to go, if you wish to have ride height adjustabilty and of course how much you want to spend.

Ebay is your friend! I got a strut tower brace for $20 and its as good as any expensive one! A lot of guys have bought their KYB AGX shocks off Ebay for $300, about $100 less than any Miata site.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Yeah i saw the strut tower brace on there, and that was the one i was going to pick up.