View Poll Results: What do you think about a Miata car show?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would participate in a proper event.

13 56.52%
  • I would participate and be willing to work the event.

8 34.78%
  • Participate, hell… put me in charge of the ______ and I won’t let you down!

2 8.70%
  • Thanks, but I’ll take a pass.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Roadster Show?

Default Texas Roadster Show?

I have heard grumblings from time to time about having a Miata car show, but no one has really stepped up to offer to plan something. I have thought about it and thought that it would be really fun, if done right. The problem is it wouldn't be much different from a Sonic gathering without a lot of planning and effort by several people.

To be a proper event, we would need to secure a location, establish classes, obtain awards and deal with food/drink services. In addition, we would want to come up with some other fun things to keep people busy such as a few vendors, a charity raffle (this can be huge if done right), and maybe even a Miata Swap Meet.

If there was enough interest in participation, people willing to “work the event”, and 3 or 4 reliable and trusted MME members willing to join me to form a planning committee, it could work. If not, it would be a big waist of my time.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Titus; 01-10-2006 at 09:52 AM.

Just my but why don't we just participate in one of the shows that are already going on in the metroplex? We have taken Vivid to a Christian Cruiser Show and came home with a trophy!

We could do it as a MME group deal! Plus all we would have to do is show up!

Here is a write up on the Show!
    Last edited by POS Racing; 01-10-2006 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Just my but why don't we just participate in one of the shows that are already going on in the metroplex? I know we have taken Vivid to a Christian Cruiser Show and came home with a trophy!

We could do it as a MME group deal! Plus all we would have to do is show up!
    I am all for that as well, but I am thinking more than just a bunch of cars on display but more of a Miata Event where the car show is just one piece (granted it is the center piece). In an annual event in Sacramento, they would drag in more than $3k worth of raffle items from Miata vendors that were more than willing to donate to a charity raffle. It is neat to see Miata vendor products and hold them before you buy. The idea is to have enough things to drag out the most Miatas at once... you may not be into car shows but would love to attend a Miata swap meet... You may not care about the Swap Meet but you are interested in buying a truck load of raffle tickets to try to win the Gift Certificate to the driving school....

I went to a Subaru Focus Day at the Ranch in '03 that had a similar concept.

It started out just like a normal Focus Day, but over the course of planning it some vendors got involved, and there were some door prizes and some display booths, plus a car show for those that wanted to display their cars, plus the track junkies got to spend some time on the track. It was a fun event primarily because there was something for everyone - track time, car shows, prizes, etc.

Now, if you wanted to coordinate with Merv (hint, hint - this would be a great opportunity to bring the LSMC, MME, and Outlaw crowds all together for one large event ) or one of our other MSR members to set up a Focus Day/car show/vendor display, I would definitely be interested in something like that. However, just a static car show doesn't really interest me.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I think it'd be pretty cool, and as i was saying in "The most important Miata meeting in the DFW area" thread. It's just too bad we don't have a local vendor like RSpeed or CorkSport to do this kinda thing for us.

Sounds like a good idea Todd. If I can help, I will. Just don't make it any time around April, when the baby is due!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I would love for something like that to happen with vendors and all that stuff. Down here in Houston the BMW club has done a couple things like that(Hot Summer Nights) and it was a ton of fun and I would love to come out with a bunch of Miatas and do the same thing

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd be willing to lend a hand.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I am all for that as well, but I am thinking more than just a bunch of cars on display but more of a Miata Event where the car show is just one piece (granted it is the center piece). In an annual event in Sacramento, they would drag in more than $3k worth of raffle items from Miata vendors that were more than willing to donate to a charity raffle. It is neat to see Miata vendor products and hold them before you buy. The idea is to have enough things to drag out the most Miatas at once... you may not be into car shows but would love to attend a Miata swap meet... You may not care about the Swap Meet but you are interested in buying a truck load of raffle tickets to try to win the Gift Certificate to the driving school....

What a novel idea.......that used to be part of Miata Madness (and may again) every Spring with LSMC (1992-1996).
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Suspension Modder

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    What a novel idea.......that used to be part of Miata Madness (and may again) every Spring with LSMC (1992-1996).

And 1997, 1998, 2002 and 2003 (no vendors at this one).

The last two were not well supported by the club. 2002 was commandered as a regional event during the MOC restart try. Moved to the speedway and it was well attended by non-members but the club just did not get behind it. I think that no one wanted to commit to working the weekend after the '99 event and did not appreciate the takeover by MOC but that is just my opinion. We hired track workers because there were not going to be enough volunteers. 2003 moved back to the Marriott with a reduced agenda but the tradition had died. We lost some money but those that did come to the 2003 event had a good time. No one picked it up after that. Bill Preston has indicated a rebirth next year so maybe you and he can put this together. March Miata Madness was very important to the club but gave way to Miata World '99 unfortunately.

Carl Long

Chassis Designer WhiteLightning's Avatar

Well I think we should set a date now, and start working on getting vendors, sponsors, and promoting the show, so that there is a outstanding show.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLightning
    Well I think we should set a date now, and start working on getting vendors, sponsors, and promoting the show, so that there is a outstanding show.
    There have been some offline discussions with a few people that might be willing to help, but some hurdles have been pointed out. We don't have anyone that has stepped up that has experience with running an event of this scale, and insurance will be an issue. I also was hoping to let the thread run a while longer so we could get a good idea of the number of people we could bring out from MME before we went any further.

It has been suggested that we instead arrange an event where we attend another car show as a group. This would allow us to get to attend a show sooner while avoiding insurance. It was also allow us the opportunity to pay close attention to how an event like this is run first so we don't end up with egg on our face.

Chassis Designer WhiteLightning's Avatar

well if that is the case, i know that DFWCC.com host a carshow every tuesday this month, and is suppose to have vendors each week. I have heard that this is a huge event to go to. I will post all the information if yall would be interested.

So when and where is there another car show we can all attend?
    I'm interested.
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Quote Originally Posted by riverracer
    So when and where is there another car show we can all attend?
    I'm interested.
    Well, the shows that POS mentioned above had 8 events in 2005, with the first one in March. They have not released there 2006 schedule yet, but it is expected soon. My plan is to wait for the schedule, and then compare it to the Autocross calender. I will post an event for the first show that has no conflict.

Your a good man with a good plan Titus...
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Default car show

i can help in promoting the event.
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Default Location

Hey guys, if we need a location we could alway use the Cavanaugh museum and have the show on the large main ramp between hangars.
    The museum could even place it in our add that we run each weekend in the Morning News weekend guide.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
    I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

Quote Originally Posted by rudedog
    Hey guys, if we need a location we could alway use the Cavanaugh museum and have the show on the large main ramp between hangars.
    The museum could even place it in our add that we run each weekend in the Morning News weekend guide.
    That's a great idea!!!

And with the Cavanaugh, you just might bring out more than just roadster lovers...

Quote Originally Posted by rudedog
    Excellent! Maybe I could even get a photo of my car with a P-51? I missed it last time because I had to be somewhere. Where was it? Oh yeah! I was getting married! BR --> <-- BR's wife
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast