Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    ...but it is my experience that noises don't just go away on their own.
    I know that feeling well!

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Nah, follow sammmy's link and it'll explain the #4 problem to you. In a nutshell, Mazda installed the wrong #4 thrust bearing in a number of '99-'00 engines, which caused them to fail prematurely. The first engine in my car was replaced under warranty at 11k because of a bad #4 bearing.
    Ah, I see, I'm thinking of a problem with the earlier engines then.

Well, I got approval from Melissa last night, so I'll be making an appointment with John Day today to drop the car off this weekend. I appreciate the offers to help me pull the motor, but I've decided that for $600 I'll let someone with the time, expertise, and space do the job properly.
    Hmm...only $600 with pulling the engine!? Haven't called him yet but does that price included the rebuild and the pulling of the motor? If so then heck I'll let him pull mine also!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    Hmm...only $600 with pulling the engine!? Haven't called him yet but does that price included the rebuild and the pulling of the motor? If so then heck I'll let him pull mine also!
    Dude read the thread. It is 600 extra to pull and install the engine. 1150 for the rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Dude read the thread. It is 600 extra to pull and install the engine. 1150 for the rebuild.
    Okay, just checking...was about to say, when I got the insurance $$$ from waterlocking the last one it was about $500 just to pull/install. So I did it myself and used the extra to fund the 1.8 swap!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I know that feeling well!
    I thought that noise went away when the part fell off!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    I thought that noise went away when the part fell off!

Well, looks like I'm gonna be pulling my motor and taking it to John Day a lot sooner than I planned. The knocking/scratching noise got 10 times louder today and the car almost overheated several times. The good news is that the crank pulley hasn't wobbeled itself off yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Actually, I'm the one with the broken car!

OK, I dropped the car off at John Day's shop this morning.

BTW, the $1750 price tag includes milling the head and decking the block, so we're going to go to the factory service (and Stock legal ) minimums on both to see if we can squeeze a little more compression out of the engine while we're at it.

Once I've got the motor back, the car sorted and broken in, I plan to hit the dyno. The old motor made ~123whp at ATS last summer. I'm hoping the new motor will hit 125+ whp. 130whp would be really nice, and well within the realms of reality for a Stock legal rebuild given a good starting point, which my motor hopefully is.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123