Thread: Fuel Cut-Off at Redline

Default Fuel Cut-Off at Redline

Fuel cut-off at redline...TC, remember this conversation? No such creature exists on my car. The day after we spoke I was out attempting to incur its wrath and no luck. I was doing 60 in 2nd and I was well into the redline... at least now I know!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Are you talking about the rev-limiter? Did you try and wind it out in 1st gear and see if it kicks in?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Are you talking about the rev-limiter? Did you try and wind it out in 1st gear and see if it kicks in?
    Yup... sorry... rev limiter ... strung it out in 2nd gear at about 60 mph and no dice... I was dancing well into the red and I'm only so brave.

Blowed er up and sue mazda!!!!

FWIW. The POS doesn't kick in the rev limiter until it's well into the red zone on the gauge. If you’re scared I'll test it for ya!

On the NBs, redline is at 7,000 and fuel cut-off / rev limit is something like 7,250. So we're going past redline in our cars too. I don't know about the NAs, but I'd bet if there was no rev limiter in them, POS would have blown his motor a long time ago.

The NA's are at 7250 for the fuel cutoff also :) Trust me
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Considering that the trained monkey who installed your tach needle to show idle at 3100, broke your gauge hood and who knows what else, it's also possible that your tach just might not be reading accurately...

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Considering that the trained monkey who installed your tach needle to show idle at 3100, broke your gauge hood and who knows what else, it's also possible that your tach just might not be reading accurately...
    Well now, yes, but, remember I spent that Saturday evening fixing the gremlins in my car (I didn't get to bed 'til maybe 2am... the reason I overslept Sunday and missed PCA). I also put in that sub belt. My tach needle is also pointing the right direction now (at least better than it was before!) But still, I'll try some more runs today and see what I get.

If your car still has the stock ECU, it most definitely does have a rev limiter. You just haven't found it yet.

I make sure mine is in the same place at least once a day.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw