• Car Wash? No

10 66.67%
  • I use a detailer

1 6.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At the Car Wash

Default details

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    The car wash just up the road from me does hand wash and detail. It takes time and you have to leave it with them for a couple of hours. But the results are very good.

Won't to tell us more details? The address of the car wash, cost to detail, etc.
    Cmartin
    Carrollton, TX

Quick N Clean Car Wash
    1401 W Hebron Pkwy
    Carrollton, TX 75010
    Phone: (972) 939-0903

Its about 3/4 a mile east of 121 on Hebron Parkway. I don't remember what the cost was last time I had them detail it sorry.

I actually don't recommend the "touchless" car washes...they use extremely high-pressure water to dislodge dirt instead of physical contact, and that is even more likely to damage the top and force leaks. Also, it doesn't really get the grime off. The next-best thing to hand washing, IMHO, is a good-quality car wash with the fabric-type machines, not the plastic brushes.
    The soap/chemicals are going to wear your top faster than normal, but shouldn't ruin it. Any of the full-service car washes should do a good job, and they clean their equipment to help prevent debris from ruining finishes. Go for the basic wash, as the extra treatments don't help much and add chemicals to the process.
    Suprisingly, I took my p/u to one of the new $3 Car Wash places, and it was very clean and did a good job. One thing: if you are behind a really filthy truck or SUV, come back another time, as debris might get caught in the brushes and scratch your car.
    Avoid the gas station carwashes!!!!
    Still, if your car has a really nice finish and you want it to stay that way, hand wash, or go to fund raiser car washes on the weekends where they handwash for you.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    IStill, if your car has a really nice finish and you want it to stay that way, hand wash, or go to fund raiser car washes on the weekends where they handwash for you.
    Waiting for warm weather as this is what I normally do.

The best part is driving the Jeep up there and seeing the expressions. The guys (including the dads) are all drooling and the girls have no idea where to start.

The Miata alwasy gets compliments from the Moms and girls.

I ran my LE through an autocarwash before I sold it and it leaked through the window seal on one side (probably just needed adjustment) Other than that it was fine. I don't take the S2000 or Elise through auto carwashes though.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    or go to fund raiser car washes on the weekends where they handwash for you.
    Talk about a bad move. I'd rather chance an autocarwash than a fundraiser. Those kids don't usually properly wash out the mitts (after they just cleaned some brake dust off someone's wheels) before rubbing it all over your swirl free paint. Like they say "If you want it done right, do it yourself"
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I detail my cars and my friends cars for a fee. I'm not a professional by any means, I just enjoy washing performance cars. The last time I washed my friend's 300ZX it came out great, took about 8 hours but was well worth it. It had a cheap respray paintjob, and the bodykit was hopelessly cracked and rock chipped, the rest of the paint was able to be saved.

Before...

After...

Those white specks are dust, as the garage has been used for engine swaps and overhauls. Not the cleanest place for a detail, but better than the outdoors. And as you can tell I started in the day, and finished in the dark lol.
    '95 NA8 5SPD

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Talk about a bad move. I'd rather chance an autocarwash than a fundraiser. Those kids don't usually properly wash out the mitts (after they just cleaned some brake dust off someone's wheels) before rubbing it all over your swirl free paint. Like they say "If you want it done right, do it yourself"
    Agreed. You need to take a look at the equipment they are using first. I suggest this strictly for someone who wants a cheap alernative, has no facilities to use at home, and doesn't have a super-nice investment to protect. Lets face it, some folks just have a 92 with original paint and a few dings, and the carwash ain't gonna make it any worse. :)

My AutoX car isn't a show car. My 2008 only gets hand-washed by me at home. :)

Quote Originally Posted by bnordin View Post
    The Miata has mostly been hand washed but the Boxter regularly gets run through the car wash. Do you realy think the dealers hand wash these cars?
    The Porsche dealer in Austin does, or at least, used to.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

When I worked at a local Toyota dealership they "hand washed" the cars.

In truth they sprayed soap and water on the cars with a VERY high pressure sprayer, and then hand dried them. This resulted in damage to the pin striping on many cars. It peeled the pin striping right off my MR2's bumpers in several spots.
    '95 NA8 5SPD

Quote Originally Posted by 4W4K3 View Post
    When I worked at a local Toyota dealership they "hand washed" the cars.

In truth they sprayed soap and water on the cars with a VERY high pressure sprayer, and then hand dried them. This resulted in damage to the pin striping on many cars. It peeled the pin striping right off my MR2's bumpers in several spots.
    The guys I am talking about use a bucket and hose to Hand Wash with and they do not run it through the machine. I waited for the car to be done the first time and payed attention to be sure.

Watching them wash the car is the best idea, I should have done the same.

I made the mistake of trusting the wash guys since I worked there and assumed they'd take care of my car. I get it back with missing pin striping! Had my car been new I would have demanded compensation, but it is 20+ years old with so-so paint. I just got an eraser wheel and removed all the striping completely, so at lest it looks uniform.
    '95 NA8 5SPD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12