Thread: Open for business

Default Open for business

Well it looks like "The Man" is cutting back on my hours at work. So to supplement my income I am trying to get some work doing Miata mechanical work. I work evenings and have school only Mon & Wed so I have plenty of free time during the week and weekends.

I know most of you do your own work but if you have friends, neighbors or co-workers with Miatas that need maintinance or upgrades done, let me know. I'm located in McKiney and have plenty of tools. As I'm not a professional mechanic, my rates are reasonable.

I can basically do anything except A/C, clutches, transmissions or internal engine work. I've done plenty of brakes, timing belts, suspension, cooling system, etc on all year model Miatas (No 2006 MX-5 though)
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Tire Warmer

Default Open for business

I need to replace the top and back window on my 1995 Miata. Do you know how to do that? What would you charge? What top would you recommend? How long would it take for you to change the top? Rain rail?

Chris Hanna
    214-274-2880
    [email protected]

Chris,

I'd recommend what I did. I got a used top from a wrecked NB Miata. The NB (99-05) Miatas have a no-zip, no-fold glass rear window. I can just drop the top from the driver's seat. You can get the top and frame for about the same as a new top. The bonus is the top and frame of an NB are a drop-in installation on your 95. I have a 95 too. Another bonus is a NB top will come with an improved rain rail made of rubber instead of the brittle plastic on your car. A new rain rail costs about $200! Your's is likely damaged as most of them are and will need to be replaced. Some folks try with varying results to repair those plastic rain rails.

I have installed a new top on a NA before and it's a bit involved. I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing that but I could certainly swap in a NB top for you.

Mazda/Nissan Heaven in Mansfield or even eBay would be good sources for the NB top.

If you go new replacement, I've heard good things about Robbins. A great place to get recommendations on the replacement tops would be Miata.net's forum. They have a section dedicated to it.

William
    Last edited by black roadster; 01-31-2006 at 10:52 PM.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I liked the Cabrio World top I had on my 92 B&T... Great prices too.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Check all the spec Miata places like Alara, they're constantly dismantling cars.

BlackRoadster, good luck on your venture and cool avatar!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

buy a robbins top and stevan at www.miatasolutions.com will put it in at a reasonable price.

I like my CabrioWorld glass window top. BlackRoadster, you could install a top, it takes some time, but it's like riding a bike. Good luck with side business.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles