Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grinding off welds?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Just grind the spot weld off, from what I can see it doesn't look like a lot of weld on it.
    Pretty crappy welds at that...

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I hope to have it done in the next month or so...
    Dang I was already loosing interest!

You going with aftermarket gauges or using the OEM ones??

Talking

Dang I was already loosing interest!

You going with aftermarket gauges or using the OEM ones??
    OEM at first... I'll be asking for nice gauges for my B-day... I hope the B-day fairy is nice to me.

Bean, I have one of these:

if you'd like to borrow it.... (being a CB and all)
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

If it's just spot welds, you can use a dremel on them.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    If it's just spot welds, you can use a dremel on them.
    or a BFH...

I'll be cutting it out of cardboard and then moving that template over to a sheet of aluminium. I hope to have it done in the next month or so...
    Are you going to bend and weld up the final part yourself, or how are you going to fabricate it? How are you going to finish it?

I'd be interested in seeing the template you come up with. I've been learning a lot about sheet metal fabrication over the last couple of months. I've still got a lot to learn, but I'm getting there, and I've got access to some really nifty design tools.

I might even be able to create a virtual part and a print, and have some of our local contract fabrication shops quote it for you, if you're interested.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Are you going to bend and weld up the final part yourself, or how are you going to fabricate it?
    There in lies the rub... I've been searching for a hot rod shop in town that does this sort of work. I'm trying to get some ideas on how to best the results I want.

What I envisioned is pretty simple and basic: a sheet of aluminium cut to fit the upper dash and then bent/welded so as to create a fascia for gauges with another small bend just to finish off the piece. It's rather hard to describe... imagine the flat dash of an older CJ7 Jeep. However, the top half of aluminium would extend to cover 6 to 8 inches behind the steering wheel and then drop down.

I'll try to draw what I'm thinking...

There in lies the rub... I've been searching for a hot rod shop in town that does this sort of work. I'm trying to get some ideas on how to best the results I want.

What I envisioned is pretty simple and basic: a sheet of aluminium cut to fit the upper dash and then bent/welded so as to create a fascia for gauges with another small bend just to finish off the piece. It's rather hard to describe... imagine the flat dash of an older CJ7 Jeep. However, the top half of aluminium would extend to cover 6 to 8 inches behind the steering wheel and then drop down.

I'll try to draw what I'm thinking...
    Are you still thinking of the dash set back with the bar exposed in front of it like we were talking about when we pulled it, or are you now thinking that the dash should cover the bar?

I don't have any aluminum sheet but I have tons of 16ga Mild Steel, and I do believe it would fit withing you budget constraints! May be handy for prototypes.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Are you still thinking of the dash set back with the bar exposed in front of it like we were talking about when we pulled it, or are you now thinking that the dash should cover the bar?
    I'm still debating that... I'll be fishing for big sheets of cardboard this weekend so that I can better see what'll work.

I don't have any aluminum sheet but I have tons of 16ga Mild Steel, and I do believe it would fit withing you budget constraints! May be handy for prototypes.
    Very nice!

You can get thin alum. off of Ebay cheap. Might be a good option.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Here's the dash wiring loom... down to only what is needed.
    That's pretty amazing, but don't ALL of those tie wraps weigh as much as the wires removed????? :)
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    That's pretty amazing, but don't ALL of those tie wraps weigh as much as the wires removed????? :)
    That's not yet the finished product... I was using the tie wraps to hold the piece together temporarily... otherwise I would have had a virtual spaghetti dinner of wires on my hands. I'm going to heat/shrink wrap the wire loom for the final install.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

How'd the dumpster uher, diving go?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    How'd the dumpster uher, diving go?
    I'll be diving for cardboard at work... the homeless guys around the station always know where to score the good stuff.

Oh... that's just not right...

I'll be diving for cardboard at work... the homeless guys around the station always know where to score the good stuff.

Oh... that's just not right...
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

It'll be a home made tanning car. How are you going to deal with the reflection of the sun? Seems like it would be blinding. I dunno.

Cool project.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast