Thread: Is it impossible to install the oil return hose on a FMII?

Default Is it impossible to install the oil return hose on a FMII?

I thought I'd do some maintenance on the car and replace the oil return hose off the turbo. After fighting with this SOB for three nights, I'm out of ideas.

First night, tried for 2 hours to just push the line on the barb
    2nd night, tried lubricating it with oil and pushing it on
    3rd night, tried heavy grease and a hair dryer to heat up the hose

All without ANY luck.

I'm thinking it's nearly impossible at this point. None of these methods have done anything to get the hose over the barb coming off the turbo. If anyone knows of any other tricks, it'd help a lot.
    '99 FMII + everything (sold!)
    '97 FMII (previously)

It's good to hear I'm not the only one....
    '97 FMII (previously)

Yeah, I used Treibenschnell and we still couldn't get it over the top barb. I took it back off the next day and we reinstalled it at the doghouse, still not getting it completely over the top barb. No tricks, just kept trying to force it and push on it without too much twisting. Took me 3-4 tries to get it, Mike Preston and Gary helped. I had a very bruised wrist for 3 days. The lift at Gary's helped because the car was up higher.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Oh yeah, I did try boiling water and sticking the hose in it before putting it on, but that wasn't easy either, it didn't last long and it was more difficult to hold on to.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I'd be happy to get this over the first barb. I think if it got past that point it would never come off.

I feel like I'm out of options unless I want to have the car trailered to someones shop, although I don't think having the car up higher would help. I can get some pretty good leverage with the car just on jacks, the hose just doesn't budge. I've kept pushing on the hose each night until my arm can't take any more.

Sure wish the guy at FM would of hinted that this is the hardest thing to possibly do on the entire car.
    '97 FMII (previously)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoefly
    I'd be happy to get this over the first barb. I think if it got past that point it would never come off.

I feel like I'm out of options unless I want to have the car trailered to someones shop, although I don't think having the car up higher would help. I can get some pretty good leverage with the car just on jacks, the hose just doesn't budge. I've kept pushing on the hose each night until my arm can't take any more.

Sure wish the guy at FM would of hinted that this is the hardest thing to possibly do on the entire car.
    Are you using the hose from FM? My hose was from them, maybe you need to go up a size? I thought Bean would get it on there as he's got bigger arms than me but he has just as much trouble. Where do you live? I still have some hose from FM, I believe.

I feel your pain, my arms were killing me.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Yes, it's the orange hose from them. If it came in a size higher, why wouldn't they use it? I had to cut the previous one off and Keith at FM confirmed that that's what they have to do as well.

I'm in Richardson, 75 & Arapaho. If anyone can get this on, you can have my first born (or a case of beer).
    '97 FMII (previously)

Ok believe it or not you are making this harder by trying to take a short cut. just remove the turbo and you will be done in no time. I have had enough practice that I can remove the turbo in about an hour, and reinstall it in about the same time.

I remember spending an entire day trying to tighten some bolts with the turbo on before throwing in the towel. The next day I just pulled the turbo and I was back running agiain by lunch. Trust me and just pull it off.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Not something I've done before and really want to do at this point. Since the other end of the hose is already on the oil pan side I would have to order a new hose (which would take another week) since you basically have to cut them off.

A guy on the miata.net forums mentioned you can unbolt the oil drain pipe from the turbo. I didn't have time last night to feel around and see if there were any bolts or not, but I'd much rather do something like that first.

There has GOT to be a way to do this.

I hope FM changes this in their "redesigned" kits. To get to the point where I'm considering removing the entire turbo to replace a friggin hose is redorkolous. AN fittings couldn't cost that much more and I'm sure would last longer. Same goes for the turbo water lines.

If anyone wants to make a buck (TDR?), I'd pay for a kit to replace all these lines with high quality fittings and non-ss-braided hose (so that it wouldn't tear up all the surronding hoses) so I wouldn't have to replace them ever again.
    '97 FMII (previously)

Well I wish you good luck.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Justin is right. Taking off that fitting with the barb won't help, that's the piece i was replacing due to a leak and if the hose is on there you can't tighten it back up into the turbo.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Yea, I just got home and felt around. Seems nearly impossible to reinstall like you said. I picked up some silicone lubricant, will see if that helps. If not, I'll be borrowing an industrial heat gun tomorrow.
    '97 FMII (previously)

That didn't work. In fact, I've had to cut the hose so many times because of repeated attempts keeps splitting the end, it's too short now. The silicone lubricant didn't do jack either.

Anyone know of a source for this hose locally? Maybe I can actually find a size larger, otherwise I'll have to pay FM for a hose that doesn't friggin fit again.
    '97 FMII (previously)

The ONLY place I could find locally that had anything similar or better was Stuart Hose. Found some 5/8" silicone hose that should be even better and was only $12. Now lets hope it fits.
    '97 FMII (previously)

Fingers crossed!!!!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Someone on the Miata.net forums just informed me that silicone can not be used to carry oil.
    '97 FMII (previously)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoefly
    Someone on the Miata.net forums just informed me that silicone can not be used to carry oil.
    That depends. We use some silicone connections on our rigs in high temp applications that are rated for oil exposure.

Try Thermopol - that's one of our vendors. If you can give me the hose ID and length you're looking for, I can search the vendor catalogs at work tomorrow for something that will fit your application.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I finally called Gary at TDR, and he let me know that they use something called Cloth Hose with great success. I'll be taking back the silicone tomorrow and seeing if I can get some of this from Stuart, if not the vendor he uses is in Garland.

Thanks for the offer though. If this doesn't work out, I'll let you know.
    '97 FMII (previously)